Deco penalties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
On my last set of dives, I was pretty far past NDL on the final dive of the day.

What has been your longest deco penalty?

I don't think of it as a penalty, I think of it as an obligation. I dive my plan, and so far have never planned for a deco obligation of more than 20 minutes. In the cold water around here, that's long enough for me.

I've never accidentally exceeded NDLs on a dive planned withing recreational limits, but I have come within a minute.

When you say pretty far past, I hope you mean just a couple minutes of deco time on your computer. Otherwise, did you have enough redundant gas to finish deco if you lost your gas at that point? Did you have enough gas for both you and your buddy in such a scenario? Did your buddy? Did you discuss this before the dive?
There are some more planning and other requirements once you get into decompression diving as you are now diving in a virtual overhead environment. (Meaning you can't just ascend to the surface immediately without an appreciable probability of bad consequences.)

Well, on our second dive off the boat in Monterey, my computer thought I should spend 20 minutes at 10 feet.

Of course, I'd forgotten to set it for 32%.

I'd been watching my depth meter and timer, and I knew where I really stood. That was the dive where I decided that carrying the computer didn't make any sense. If I was going to ignore what it said anyway, why have it beeping at me? And it was furious when I took it out of the water, and refused to talk to me for two days.

TSandM:
Well, And it was furious when I took it out of the water, and refused to talk to me for two days.

That's so funny!:rofl3:

Maybe one day they can be smart enough to figure it out themselves!

TSandM:
Well, on our second dive off the boat in Monterey, my computer thought I should spend 20 minutes at 10 feet.

Of course, I'd forgotten to set it for 32%.

I'd been watching my depth meter and timer, and I knew where I really stood. That was the dive where I decided that carrying the computer didn't make any sense. If I was going to ignore what it said anyway, why have it beeping at me? And it was furious when I took it out of the water, and refused to talk to me for two days.

Heh!

Computers are tools, you can't blame them for doing what they are designed to do! :D

You could have used it in gauge mode. Or you could have set it right to begin with! :no

I'm not sure you can suggest a tool is worthless because you fail to use it properly. There are also plenty of computers that allow deco, multi-gas configurations, anything a tech diver would use in a computer that will NOT lock up.

As we put our lives in the hands of computers multiple times a day, I'm not sure how some divers get through the day! Think of something as simple as a traffic light, or as complex as a flight navigation system!

Somehow the engineers of the world have recognized that computers can aid people who do critical jobs that could result in life or death in making decisions based on better data collection techniques, and faster number crunching. However there are those divers that seem to be in denial of this. :banghead:

paulwlee:
When you say pretty far past, I hope you mean just a couple minutes of deco time on your computer. Otherwise, did you have enough redundant gas to finish deco if you lost your gas at that point? Did you have enough gas for both you and your buddy in such a scenario? Did your buddy? Did you discuss this before the dive?
There are some more planning and other requirements once you get into decompression diving as you are now diving in a virtual overhead environment. (Meaning you can't just ascend to the surface immediately without an appreciable probability of bad consequences.)

Having enough air was not a problem. My question was not intended to recall specific issues related to MY dive.

It was to get an idea of how many minutes other divers have had to sit and off-gas.

Longest deco obligation - 36 minutes, computer designed. This was the result of two 45 minute dives at 140'.

I didn't blame it, and I had a Vytec right next to it in gauge mode (the Mosquito doesn't have a gauge mode). And it wasn't the first time I'd made the mistake, but it's not fixable once you get in the water . . . My brain, on the other hand, can switch gears.

I just figured that, since I was running the dive off the Vytec and thinking it through, that having a second gauge that was channelling R2D2 and being ignored didn't make a lot of sense :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom