Deco/stage bottles on the right side???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2 on the left, anymore are on a leash.

A question, concerning the argument of the "stuck" longhose.
I get the point that, when I´m clipping a bottle to the right side and do not pay attention I might catch the longhose... however, in case I have to donate I would still be able to donate my reg and secure the other diver. If I then find out that the hose is stuck I could just unclip the Bottle on the shoulder D-ring, release the full length, and re clip it. All can be done as soon as everyone has calmed down a little.
So far the theory.... has anyone really encountered that situation and found it to be a problem?

Both on the left side for the reason you state.

I stacked left due to the light canister being on the right side. I don't use can lights anymore.

A question, concerning the argument of the "stuck" longhose.
I get the point that, when I´m clipping a bottle to the right side and do not pay attention I might catch the longhose... however, in case I have to donate I would still be able to donate my reg and secure the other diver. If I then find out that the hose is stuck I could just unclip the Bottle on the shoulder D-ring, release the full length, and re clip it. All can be done as soon as everyone has calmed down a little.
So far the theory.... has anyone really encountered that situation and found it to be a problem?

there is not normally a right hip d-ring because the canister light is slid up against the backplate. The can light is where the long hose is hooked in. To put a d-ring on there with a can light would be a bit annoying if done in the traditional manner.
More importantly you are guaranteed to get the 7' hose trapped at least with the top clip which is impossible to avoid. To make a single file exit you would have to unclip the top snap to release. Once the diver got to the point that they could breathe their deco bottle, you would have to unclip the neck and restow. Would be really annoying.

Not saying not to do it because there are situations where I do, but there is a LOT of stuff we can get away with in regards to gear when cave diving that you can't do in open water due to the ability to drop bottles off

there is not normally a right hip d-ring because the canister light is slid up against the backplate. The can light is where the long hose is hooked in. To put a d-ring on there with a can light would be a bit annoying if done in the traditional manner.
More importantly you are guaranteed to get the 7' hose trapped at least with the top clip which is impossible to avoid. To make a single file exit you would have to unclip the top snap to release. Once the diver got to the point that they could breathe their deco bottle, you would have to unclip the neck and restow. Would be really annoying.

Not saying not to do it because there are situations where I do, but there is a LOT of stuff we can get away with in regards to gear when cave diving that you can't do in open water due to the ability to drop bottles off

More and more these days there is no canister on the right side. I dive a Bigblue technical light that has no canister. My right side has a backup light pouch, backup mask pouch, and then a buckle with a D-ring built into it that holds everything in place. I route the long hose before clipping on my right deco bottle, ensuring that the long house is routed underneath the right d-ring. I have found that it works very well for me.

You can drop bottles off in open water as well.......................recovery is a bit different.....

Thanks tbone, I did not think about the can being in the way and the fact that, using this setup , there is no hip-d-ring.
As I wrote in the other thread about lights, I do not use a canister-light with a cord, so I did place a d-ring on the side of the hip.
The longhose is tucked under a Trilobite, so I can slide it out really easily.

You are absolutely right about having to unclip the neck to get it free, however I found out that I can easily restow it without having to unclip the stage.

Rich Right, Lean Left

There's zero issues with long hose if you have the slightest modicum of attention-to-detail with your equipment procedures.

Rich Right, Lean Left

There's zero issues with long hose if you have the slightest modicum of attention-to-detail with your equipment procedures.

The long hose is very much on my mind when adding a bottle to the right in side mount. My background is full cave and AN/DP, and I'm only now starting to play with adding a second deco bottle to see how to trim this out in the local mud puddle.

For cold water, I dive with two HP 119s, and top mount an Al40 for deco. Doing this on the left it's fine, I have no difficulties with the gas switch, including confirming it with my buddy. But I'm nervous about moving it to the right, to make space on the left for a leaner bottle. I haven't tried it much yet, and so far I seem to be able to extract the long hose from between the bottles, but it still has me on edge a bit.

So what's the general take on this? Just refine my procedures to make absolutely positively sure the long hose is fully deplorable, or switch to bottom mounting stage and deco bottles?

The long hose is very much on my mind when adding a bottle to the right in side mount. My background is full cave and AN/DP, and I'm only now starting to play with adding a second deco bottle to see how to trim this out in the local mud puddle.

For cold water, I dive with two HP 119s, and top mount an Al40 for deco. Doing this on the left it's fine, I have no difficulties with the gas switch, including confirming it with my buddy. But I'm nervous about moving it to the right, to make space on the left for a leaner bottle. I haven't tried it much yet, and so far I seem to be able to extract the long hose from between the bottles, but it still has me on edge a bit.

So what's the general take on this? Just refine my procedures to make absolutely positively sure the long hose is fully deplorable, or switch to bottom mounting stage and deco bottles?
regardless of depth whatever your breathing is ok to donate ( as long as you've done you gas switch correctly) - for deco stop gas and an OOA buddy you give him the one in your mouth and share then sort- if you've done a proper plan youll have that on your slate and should be able to finish any deco with gas available regardless of F02 (if you've doubled)
If your buddy is OOA below deco stop then your S drill should have exposed any complications before you got that far.
If your using a stage as extra bottom gas then you can donate whats in you mouth and shift to necklace back gas ( as you will have held reserve yes?)then sort
But regardless having a tidy system is the key and as DD wrote attention to detail -always thinking ahead for what if scenarios

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom