Deco stops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Its a good point. I never thought of it that way but it certainly works. It does assume the jonline is clipped to you, not just held though.

WW

ps- You know of course that jonlines have been pronounced as "for strokes"?
This was a pretty strokey conversation...using a dog leash style jonline looped around the anchor line and then back through the handle loop with the dog clip clipped off to your chest D-ring...

O-ring once bubbled...

This was a pretty strokey conversation...using a dog leash style jonline looped around the anchor line and then back through the handle loop with the dog clip clipped off to your chest D-ring...

a perfectly good way to do it in my opinion.

wazza once bubbled...
Just a question, is it recommended to make a deco dive in such condition, strong current and low viz, what for . at least when u want to do a dive and u want to enjoy it u have to be in better condition and if not u will know the risk u are into. Anyway
...although sometimes the conditions change on you from the time you start your dive until you get back to your stops. Sometimes the only current is at the stops and it lessens as you drop down...I understand your point though..better to call it off in questionable conditions..makes sense to me.

a perfectly good way to do it in my opinion.
...the mental image was something like the diver flapping around in the current toxing. Obviously still in trouble, but at least in trouble with buddies right there and tethered to the anchor line instead of blown to god knows where while toxing..

Dunno..thought it might make for interesting conversation..

O-ring once bubbled...

...the mental image was something like the diver flapping around in the current toxing. Obviously still in trouble, but at least in trouble with buddies right there and tethered to the anchor line instead of blown to god knows where while toxing..

Dunno..thought it might make for interesting conversation..

Better to flop and tox at 20 than sink rapidly to 230 or and tox. Of course you're likely hosed either way unless someone is on you right now to keep your reg in your mouth.

WW

Saturation once bubbled...
In the decompression phase, being rested and shallow is key to tolerating a pp02 of 1.6 ATA, even as high as 1.9 ATA.

1) Exercise is good because it reduces effective tissue half-times and therefore speeds up decompression adding a considerable margin of safety for DCI. (I refer to Dr Deco's earlier post and his attachment.)

2) Exercise is bad because it increases the risks of CNS oxygen toxicity.:confused:

O-ring once bubbled...
...the mental image was something like the diver flapping around in the current toxing. Obviously still in trouble, but at least in trouble with buddies right there and tethered to the anchor line instead of blown to god knows where while toxing.
Hi O-ring,

CNS oxtox is not the only problem a diver may develop during deco so a Jon line sounds like a reasonable safety device. However, the mental picture you paint is a little worrying. I admit to not doing many dives using a trapeze but we never hang onto the anchor line, whether in a current or not, in the UK scene.

We routinely expect our skippers to follow our SMBs or Trapeze during deco, where we all drift along happily in the current together. This almost guarantees we are comfortable and effectively "resting" during all stages of decompression and not fighting to hang onto the shot line. (We only use the shot line for deco when there is little or no current.) the boat drifting behind, under control, a good 100 yards up current.

This is very much like balooning in a wind. All the balloons remain fairly close together as they are all being blown the same way, even if one of the baloons is in trouble. :wink:

We expect our skippers to follow our SMBs or Trapeze during deco, where we all drift along happily in the current together. This almost guarantees we are comfortable and effectively "resting" during all stages of decompression and not fighting to hang onto the shot line. (We only use the shot line for deco when there is little current.)
However, this is not how it is done over here on the East Coast. Boat hooks wreck, divers ascend anchor line.

O-ring once bubbled...

However, this is not how it is done over here on the East Coast. Boat hooks wreck, divers ascend anchor line.

Here in Florida we also drift deco. that East Coast stuff is too much like work!

WW

Here in Florida we also drift deco. that East Coast stuff is too much like work!

WW
Funny how your environment can determine if you are doing it right or not...last time I checked the Capt's up here don't give a rat's arse whether I want to drift deco or not.

Wait I forgot..I am supposed to not dive..

:D

Back
Top Bottom