Deco Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
Simple (well, maybe not "simple" but ...)

1) In your classes that covered nitrox/advanced decompression, your instructor should have covered multiple decompression algorithms (RGBM, buhlman, VPM) etc. and given an overview of how they are different

2) In the same class, the insrtructor should also cover ways to calculate deco schedules (computer, tables, some other vodoo methods that get people here all heated up)

Now, obviously what is covered could depend on the instructor and/or which agency you take the class at.

There are two realities:
(1) For most of the diving most of us do (say down to 160 feet), the differences in "most" methods are small enough that they are pretty safe
(2) As you have discovered, deco is something more than an "Educated guess" but definitely not foolproof (esp. outside rec limits) -- this makes some people extremely uncomfortable but that's the way it goes.

So what you do is try to work with your instructor (you did take a deco class, right?) to come up with something that's workable. Then you start off conservatively and (if you like) you can experiment with adding/removing or shaping your deco from that start point.

Decompression is also affected by other things such as hydration, fitness, water temps, current etc. so be prepared to dial back from there.

Some of the differences are down to different "philosophies" behind the deco model (dissolved gas, bubble model etc.)

so the best way really is to start with something someone you trust is using that works for them, and work from there.

You know it is easy to copy a formula without any understanding and pass a test. However i am the type that disects the information for understanding so that I know well enough to teach...okay (tutor)

I have had the a tables memorized for max NDL for years, Never thought much about them. I had a computer thats all one needs right? Ha! now that I have taken Nitrox Advanced Nitrox and working on Intro to tech. Gas management etc. I have started to be curious how all this mess fits.

So for all the physics, sophisticated math and YOU COULD DIE stuff, a 170min NDL on one table vs. a 100min NDL on another for the exact same depth does not compute with me, even if the answer is: If figure the EAD you get 170!

I need somebody to explain why the NOAA felt it was necessary to publish the NDL limit on Ean 36% at 60fsw as 100mins as opposed to the table I have that says 170!

Meister481:
I'm a newbie tech diver looking for a set of accelerated decompression tables that have the ability to use 50-75-100 deco gasses. I did some searching and nothing current came up. I've seen the IANTD set, but I want an all encompassing backup in case the deffication encounters the oscillation. This would be in case of a snafu that causes significant plan deviation. Cursory planning could be made on site with these as well.

I have a nitek HE as insurance/quick check but I'd like something else as a backup to carrying too many preprinted v-planner tables.

The IANTD ones looked great to me. I am not sure what back-up you are looking for. Do you want an ALL-IN-ONE table that you don't need to switch back n fro?

I saw a wheel the other day that I am going to go back and see if it has that.

Accelerated decompression tables are tables that have decompression stops using nitrox or pure O2 to lessen the stop times. Navy tables are what I have now and they don't cut it for my purpose.

You should roughly know the time needed for your deco from either your 'puter or your software plan.

You should know how to shape deco "close enough" WITHOUT either of these resources.

There's you're third backup - your head.

Ther are too many combinations of depth/time/and gases to have pre-printed tables for all contingencies.

Meister481:
Accelerated decompression tables are tables that have decompression stops using nitrox or pure O2 to lessen the stop times. Navy tables are what I have now and they don't cut it for my purpose.
Didn't you get some tables as part of your course that included accelerated deco? If not, you can buy IANTD's here. You can buy most anything you want in tables here.
If you want them free... I can't help you.
Rick

Bigcape:
You know it is easy to copy a formula without any understanding and pass a test. However i am the type that disects the information for understanding so that I know well enough to teach...okay (tutor)

I need somebody to explain why the NOAA felt it was necessary to publish the NDL limit on Ean 36% at 60fsw as 100mins as opposed to the table I have that says 170!

Then go ask NOAA or the person who printed your tables. They will know for sure.

limeyx:
Then go ask NOAA or the person who printed your tables. They will know for sure.

That's a lodda help....thanks. Ill get my secetary to send 'em a letter.

Bigcape:
That's a lodda help....thanks. Ill get my secetary to send 'em a letter.

Well, I'd say if you "need" to know it (as you said) then that would be a better way than all the speculation and WAG's you are going to get on this internet site (unless someone from NOAA wants to post here with a definitive answer I guess)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom