Decompression Accident in North Sulawesi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my back full of marbelled red spots: now the Decompression sickness is well confirmed
If a diver chooses a thermolution electric heated dive vest, (which only applies warmth to the back) and turns it on in the final half of dive, as slowly coming up, would that assist in offgassing slowly but thouroughly, OR would it be bad, as taking a hot shower after diving has been shown to give skin bends, because it heats a limited area too much, relative to the rest of the body.

From physics, increase temperature tends to lower gas solubility, i.e., forcing the dissolved gas out of solution like the bubbles form when you boil water. Fish would belly up in still summer heat warm water due to low dissolved oxygen in the water. So I would think by going into hot shower, tiny air bubbles would come out of the blood due to lower air solubility in warm skin tissue and lead to skin bend.

Last edited:
If a diver chooses a thermolution electric heated dive vest, (which only applies warmth to the back) and turns it on in the final half of dive, as slowly coming up, would that assist in offgassing slowly but thouroughly, OR would it be bad, as taking a hot shower after diving has been shown to give skin bends, because it heats a limited area too much, relative to the rest of the body.
Yes, it only applies the warmth on the back, but the flushing of water through the suit spreads it elsewhere. Kind of like how peeing in your suit warms more than the pee zone.

I think part of the problem with hot showers is you have already caused the problem, and the hot water makes it worse. This is related to bubbling continuing and even increasing after you surface. Being warm (not hot) at the end of the dive, while still in the water, helps mitigate the problem.

So, @tursiops , 1) what do you think of a timer that turns the Thermolution vest on at a preset time through the dive such as planning a 60 min dive, so the vest goes on at 40 min, ( you can always manually turn it on at any time). 2) Does the thermolution add a lot of bulk in the chest? I would really like a heater that wraps around and warms the tummy, since that is where I have extra space anyway. Or is the back the safest place to have the heating pad for some reason, even if the heat does dissipate 3) When the controller comes out at the neck, is there a way to clip it, so it is not flopping around pulling at neck?

So, @tursiops , 1) what do you think of a timer that turns the Thermolution vest on at a preset time through the dive such as planning a 60 min dive, so the vest goes on at 40 min, ( you can always manually turn it on at any time). 2) Does the thermolution add a lot of bulk in the chest? I would really like a heater that wraps around and warms the tummy, since that is where I have extra space anyway. Or is the back the safest place to have the heating pad for some reason, even if the heat does dissipate 3) When the controller comes out at the neck, is there a way to clip it, so it is not flopping around pulling at neck?
1) I see no need for the timer, I'd prefer to be in charge of the vest.
2) None. It is like a rashguard. There is little sense that the heat is only on the back. It just warms the entire upper body, and seeps down lower too.
3) the cord hangs down a foot or so from the neck. There is no flopping about. I put the cord under my BCD chest strap.

Hey Freewillow,

Glad you got home safely, and survived your dry week with us in Lembeh.

For your info and anyone else on this thread. There was a 'medium level fanfare' last Wednesday for a new deco chamber being opened in Manado. It certainly looks the part from the pictures floating around on facebook. I believe the insurance agencies have been notified as well. :)

I think there will be a more detailed thread about this shortly, but from my conversations with my peers in Manado it looks like we're going to have 2 chambers in the area for the foreseeable future.

There was a 'medium level fanfare' last Wednesday for a new deco chamber being opened in Manado. It certainly looks the part from the pictures floating around on facebook. I believe the insurance agencies have been notified as well. :)

Very nice.

Just one remark. According to the information that I got from the people @ DAn Europe, they were not aware of the fact that the chamber in Manado, was not functionning at the time of my accident.

It is more important, for what I understand, that the insurance agencies are informed when a chamber is closed down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom