Dedicated underwater p&s cams reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

derway

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After hopefully trying an oly tg-1, I found the pix above water are nice enough, but the pix underwater are far too often, underexposed, and really lacking contrast. Seems like they are still doing 18% grey card average metering, and calling it 'ESP'! There is no time, snorkeling, to adjust the exposure, to make up for brain dead 18th century metering. Great closing and sealing system though. Too bad. I sent it back.

The imaging resource review hints at this problem, though they only test in a pool.

Waterproof Shootout 2012: Intro, Features and Operation

These lenstip underwater reviews are great. They test and comment on all aspects, of underwater photos and video, at snorkel depth, and a deeper.

They haven't covered the tg-1 yet, but tg-820 had similar issues!

Waterproof cameras test 2012 - part I - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Based on this review, the canon d20 is operable down to 30 meters! And works great IQ and WB wise, at greater depths, but has issues of too much contrast, at snorkel depth.

And panasonic TS4, (FT4), only works to the rated depth +1m, but works better, IQ wise, at the snorkeling depths.

I have both on the way, and will report back. And send back, the looser.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom