Deep 6 Backplate questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_ocean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just noticed that Deep 6 offers backplates now. Looking at this one
Aluminum Backplate - Buoyancy

Quick background: I've been looking for an aluminum plate for my dive buddy. She's 5'2". With an HP100 steel, steel plateand 7mm suit, she tends to be head heavy. She wants to lighten up the rig by switching to an aluminum plate. The challenge is to find one that fits her short frame. Currently she has an Oxycheq small size steel plate, which fits well. Other plates are either too long in the torso, are bent too aggressively so that they don't sit flat on the back, or have lower edges that dig into the sides. I might get that one but it's $145, which seems steep..

Also, I'm looking for a regular size al plate. I am happy with my Hollis steel plate because of the flatter center bend and bent-upward lower edges. I tried a HOG steel plate and had to return it because the center channel bend was too aggressive (didn't sit flat on the back) and the lower edges poked me in the sides.

With that, I have some questions for @cerich about the Deep 6 plates:

1. Could you put up more details on the site about the key features of the plates? Weight, length, height, webbing slot widths, finish, bent edges, bend angles, whatever etc. More information is better.

2. The top webbing slots both cross the center channel bend, so the crease might poke the webbing. Any thoughts on that? Could you show a photo with 2" webbing installed?

3. Any chance of doing plates in different lengths like Oxycheq to allow fitting smaller size divers? Their small size al plate runs $145 right now...seems steep.

4. When can we see plates in Orange? :)

Also, a comment: laser etched logo looks great, but that "China Export" bit has got to go :)

Thanks.

Hi...I guess you missed my post yesterday that I am still working on getting all the details on the plates up. Seriously, I just started working on it and still need to take some more pictures and put a proper description up.

That all said, I don't recommend the plate for your dive buddy. i will have a smaller plate that has actually been out in the field being tested for smaller stature folks.

The Deep 6 plate does not have as aggressive a bend as the HOG. It's closer to the Hollis plate in the bend of the center channel.

Umm, I actually didn't think of getting in Orange..because I thought it would be "too much", maybe I will do a small run and see if it sells.

The CE is not China Export. The plate is made in Taiwan, is that China?? Depends by what you mean by China and who you ask. :)

Why would somebody from California objectto the EU CE stuff? I mean seriously, pot meet kettle. :)

Just to be clear, the stylized rounded "CE" markings you see on products means "Conformité Européenne" - simply indicating that the item complies with European Union product standards. Think of it as being UL certified for the United States, for example. It doesn't indicate country of origin or manufacture, just that someone went to the trouble of certifying it as being compliant with EU regulations so it's eligible to be sold there

As for Taiwan, they're on the leading edge of semiconductor, machine tool, and a bunch of other technical fields, and I have zero problem with knowing something is made there.

i will have a smaller plate that has actually been out in the field being tested for smaller stature folks.
:yeahbaby::clapping:

Put me on the wait list...

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the stylized rounded "CE" markings you see on products means "Conformité Européenne" - simply indicating that the item complies with European Union product standards. Think of it as being UL certified for the United States, for example. It doesn't indicate country of origin or manufacture, just that someone went to the trouble of certifying it as being compliant with EU regulations so it's eligible to be sold there

As for Taiwan, they're on the leading edge of semiconductor, machine tool, and a bunch of other technical fields, and I have zero problem with knowing something is made there.

The CE logo has been modified slightly and repurposed to mean China Export (Google it), perhaps with the goal of tricking consumers into believing that the product conforms to the European standard. I have nothing against Chinese products per se, but this duplicitous logo just creates confusion.

Anyway I don't care about except from an aesthetics point of view.

Last edited:
The CE logo has been modified slightly and repurposed to mean China Export (Google it), perhaps with the goal of tricking consumers into believing that the product conforms to the European standard. I have nothing against Chinese products per se, but this duplicitous logo just creates confusion.

Anyway I don't care about except from an aesthetics point of view.

Don't buy it.

I have plans to sell in Europe, I'm required to have it to sell into the EU. To the rest, please provide the google link to back your assertion that I am trying to fool consumers.

The CE logo has been modified slightly and repurposed to mean China Export (Google it)......... this duplicitous logo just creates confusion.

Yes, google will provide some links to discussions of this, which are mostly false. But I wouldn't say the logo has not been repurposed by it, because it still means CE, and even the misuse is meant to represent the original purpose.

Our products have been tested and conform to CE standards, so we label them as such so we can sell within Europe. It is the standard we follow as a trusted manufacturer. Apologies if you don't like the logo, but we do have to put it somewhere on our products to conform.

The vast majority of products in any industry that carry the CE stamp still signify "Conformité Europécnne"........ unless they are counterfeit... so I don't think the entire manufacturing industry should abandon the standard just because a few chinese companies may have copied the symbol inappropriately.

As for Orange Aluminum plates, I want one as well! I am hoping we get more requests too.

Cheers,
Landon

Last edited:
OK, thanks for clearing up the CE. I've read elsewhere that the CE mark on some Chinese products may not be used legally. Of course I don't think Deep 6 intended to do anything wrong, but I have seen stories of companies using contract manufacturers getting bit by Chinese contractors who claim to meet this or that standard. Anyway, seems like you guys are on top of it. Apologies if my comment came off as an attack, that was not my intention.

As for Orange Aluminum plates, I want one as well! I am hoping we get more requests too.

I'm in!

The alternate use of "CE" as a mark meaning an item is for export from China was a popular web myth that went around a few years ago, and you can still find reference to it as a discredited rumor/myth with a quick Google search, but the"CE" mark is protected by trademark (i.e., you can't legally make a mark that is cofusingly similar) in many jurisdictions.

The far bigger risk is that some manufacturers will self-certify products they know to be inadequate, or will certify products that are adequate but then omit certain elements needed for certification in cheaper versions of the product that are then fraudulently sold with the "CE" mark. And a high percentage of these products do come from China, where respect for intellectual property, safety, and other such rules has significant room for growth. Buy a cheap aftermarket iPhone charger and your odds of experiencing this firsthand are fairly high.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom