Deep 6 Can Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFKnightDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone used the Deep 6 can light? Currently listed on their website for $499 with original price of $1,199 (discounted 58%?). Was curious how these compare to other can lights out there, UWLD, Halcyon, LM, Dive Rite, etc.

Here's the link:
Deep6 Backmount Canister Light

I like the light. I think they are just trying to get ride of some stock. they discontinued the light. they are not rated to fly so keep that in mind.

There’s one used on here that someone is trying to sell for $300 above that price. Might be able to ask him his opinion of it.

Has anyone used the Deep 6 can light? Currently listed on their website for $499 with original price of $1,199 (discounted 58%?). Was curious how these compare to other can lights out there, UWLD, Halcyon, LM, Dive Rite, etc.

Here's the link:
Deep6 Backmount Canister Light

They got out of that market for a reason. There was a high rate of battery failures on those packs. They're not bad lights, but I would chalk it up to a high risk purchase due to the battery packs. They're comparable to the older Dive Rite lights, and nothing can compare to UWLD...

They got out of that market for a reason. There was a high rate of battery failures on those packs. They're not bad lights, but I would chalk it up to a high risk purchase due to the battery packs. They're comparable to the older Dive Rite lights, and nothing can compare to UWLD...
For the price I think it is worth the risk.

I have one. The first production had bad batteries. D6 has replaced all the batteries with new ones but as someone mentioned they are not rated for flying. The light itself is great. About the only thing that could use some improvement is the switch on the light head is a little hard to use with gloves on.

The UWLD lights are nice, but dollar per dollar, you can get more burn time and similar light output with other brands. Light Monkey is also very nice, but same story.

I think this Deep6 light is using an emitter similar to the Dive Rite LX20, and it uses 4 of them vs 1 for the Dive Rite. The can looks interesting to me, like it has a cap on both ends, vs. being 1 single piece of Delrin for the body and one for the cap. It has a nice recessed switch, and the gopro mount is nifty. The braided cover on the cable is trendy now. If they saved by using sub par batteries, you can always replace the pack for probably $150 later on, which would make this a $650 light without any ongoing support from the manufacturer--though when your cord runs out, I bet any mfg can replace it for you.

If you buy a UWLD, Light Monkey or Dive Rite, it doesn't guarantee they'll fix any issue for free for forever, but they all have historically been overly generous when it comes to warranty service and repairs. But, the cheapest you could go is the HP50 can light for $1100 or so, which is the same as buying nearly 2 of this Deep6 lights--or buying one now, and another one in a few years. And in 5 years, the technology might be so different that the ongoing support doesn't matter to you, and you buy a new one.

I'm kind of in that boat: I have a lightmonkey 12 watt LED, the first mainstream LED, that still works great, sitting in my spares box. I have a handful of BX1 lights, then I switched to BX2 when those came out. I got an HP50, then I got an EX35, and then I got an LX20, and whenever a new one comes out, I'll probably buy that one too. They all still work, but the newer lights are brighter, longer burn time, smaller, and as much as I want to use the old 12w LED again for old times sake, I still haven't used it in 4 years.

If you don't need all that light output, and you want to stick to main brands, both Light Monkey and Dive Rite have handheld lights for $500-$600. The Light Monkey appears to have built in batteries, the Dive Rite uses 18650s which you can swap out between dives, or replace in the future if they show their age. Pros and cons.

wrong led on wrong reflector and even more cluster :stirpot:

Do you mean that the LED/Reflector combo leads to a poor beam? I'm looking at getting a can light to progress into more advanced cave/wreck diving and it looks like an attractive price/performance point.

The battery pack not being flyable isn't the biggest deal for now. In the future if I wanted to fly it how difficult would it be to find one that fits and is allowed?

Beam comparison. Deep6 on high beam with mid charged battery on left. DGX 600 on the right. Lights were about 10 feet from wall.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom