• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Deep 6 computer?

Discussion in 'Deep 6 Gear' started by Aqua-Andy, Mar 11, 2017.

1. ls1dreams

ls1dreams Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Yes! Get to it :)

Aqua-Andy likes this.
  2. Aqua-Andy

Aqua-Andy Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    While we are on your ass about this, I would like to request that it either comes with or has a bungee mount available.

gopbroek likes this.
  3. jhnmdahl

jhnmdahl Solo Diver

I'd be surprised if a device designed today still relied on some proprietary cable for a data connection - probably easier to just put Bluetooth LE in the device to start.

4. RainPilot

RainPilot CCR Instructor Staff Member

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Unless the battery recharges via USB?

5. jhnmdahl

jhnmdahl Solo Diver

Rain, good point. It seems like it's more difficult to make a waterproof electronic connector than a waterproof battery cap, though. I like the way Shearwater does it, but BT LE may require an extra few bucks for a chip or have other factors that make it harder to implement in a more "budget" device.

6. RainPilot

The cosmiq does the Bluetooth and also a clip on USB charger through the case so no ports to seal just copper connections.

7. jhnmdahl

jhnmdahl Solo Diver

Yep, but the clip-on cables tend to be custom units that cost $100 instead of $10. If I were the designer, I would do what I could to provide some interface for PC download/charging that wasn't proprietary and expensive. If only it were easy to source a waterproof USB Type-C/Thunderbolt port...

John

8. RainPilot

The Deepblu cable is 14.99$

Charging Cable

It's charging only so I imagine it's just a standard USB charge cable with custom pin out connections

9. ScubaSteve858

ScubaSteve858 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I hear you on the $100 cable. I had to buy one for my Hollis DG03. However the explanation I was given is that it's not the proprietary cable that costs so much, but the cost to develop the software provided. Which sucks because I use Subsurface not Hollis's chappy software I apparently paid for. So I think they could potentially make a cheap clip on USB and provide an open source ability for it to be used with any software.

cerich likes this.
  10. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    Would the computer be available for this Christmas?
    Could I have them ship from Republic of China to HK to save time and shipping cost?