Deep 6 DEMA Debrief

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Wow, it’s Monday morning and after a solid 9 hours sleep in my own bed for the first time in 9 days I am happy to sitting down for a few minutes to gather my thoughts on DEMA and the launch of Deep 6 Outfitters, doing business as Deep 6 Expedition Dive Gear.

It’s a pretty normal practice after a trade show for a company to get together with all staff and debrief the show, what they did right, what they did wrong, what the vibe was, what others are doing that is cool and just go thru everything. The goal of course is to learn from the show and get better. Following that debrief there is normally a plan of action put in place to maximize follow thru and put in place any needed changes.
I’m going to do exactly that this morning with a coffee on my desk and some music blasting in my office. Afterwards I am going to unpack my trailer of tradeshow stuff and pack my dive gear and take off cave diving for a few days.

So, let’s debrief DEMA. You see, this debrief includes us all. Because, while I may be running the show, had fantastic staff and volunteers helping with everything, Deep 6 from the first stirring of conception is about being a new type of dive brand, and that brand is about divers, diving and doing positive things. So please, if you have a moment and can join us, welcome!
I have already gone too far without expressing my sincere and deepest felt appreciation to some people, in no particular order.
Landon Lasseter- he is our IT and web guy, fellow dive instructor and tech nut, and in spite of some pretty big curve balls thrown at him in the last week before the show, he has put in hundreds of hours building the very foundation of Deep 6 from a technology perspective. Dude, I have been amazed that you have been able to take my ideas, find or make a solution that will make it happen while fine tuning the ideas themselves. I don’t even know where to start.
Doug Marcoux- VP of Buzz! No shock you lived up to the title. But… man, you took a leap of faith with me based on a crazy night early this year at BTS. You were digging to find out what I was doing and after swearing you to secrecy and being plied with drinks (well played!) I watched you get excited and exhilarated by the possibilities and the audacity. You said you were in then and since proved yourself a man of your word. It was touch and go there for a bit but at the last minute the road was cleared and I was finally able to start not just paying you but have you participate. We have a lot of work ahead of us and many of our ideas may not seem possible or even nuts but let’s not let that stop us from trying.
Amie Branch- HOLY COW, where did you come from!!!!???????????? You saw some of the direction we wanted to take Deep 6 and from completely out of the blue stepped up and said “I wanna help!” You didn’t just help, you made DEMA possible! I truly am at a loss of words to express my appreciation.
Brad Nolan- You saved my ass. Coming thru and hand carrying the backdrop for my booth. I owe you, gratitude.
Stacy Martin- Logistics Queen bee of keeping the booth and suite in operation, feeing us up to talk with folks and not sweat the details so much appreciation. Beyond running one of the very best dive stores anywhere and keeping Edd in line, you are an amazing person!

Everybody I forgot- I suck, you were every bit as important as everybody else. I suck at team sports but know I have one that makes it all possible. I really don’t deserve you all.

So many more who have done so many things small and large to help make DEMA possible, also my suppliers, many who would prefer I keep nameless, google will help anybody that wants to figure them out. J
My family and my friends who have stood by me and supported me in going out on a limb to try and truly deliver and create a new type of dive equipment brand, I love you all.

One of the hardest things about ideas and concepts for me is to put them in workable words that makes sense to others, the DEMA show really helped in that regard.
So we all know where it sits after a few days our message getting polished, questioned, and challenged here is what I see as the answers to a few common questions/statements we heard at the show

Are you a retailer or a brand?
In truth both and neither. We are a socially based technology company that will leverage connections to create a profitable company that is able to positively impact the lives of our employees, customers, partners, the environment and society.

Why no dive stores as dealers?
Why not? I have heard for ages that the dive store is the foundation of the dive industry. I think that’s wrong, divers are. We are all about divers. Make it fun for divers and there will be an industry. Make it suck and there won’t.

Followed by “So you’re taking your ball and not playing because you disagree?”
LOL, not even close! I am just going to go build a new playground and invite lots of fun positive people to come play. Those that think they “deserve” support for existing, that seek to punish consumers for using the Internet, that think being a scuba cop is more important than being an instructor and mentor. They can hang out exactly where they have been, unhappily supporting brands that screw them while trying to figure out why the industry is shrinking so badly. I’m going make it pure, honest and fun. I am also gonna dive more.

“Way to kill the dive industry dude”- heard from various folks with stores, other brands etc.

AWESOME! I’m the king of the dive Industry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL, not likely, I don’t have that power. In fact, right now I will make a commitment. Any dive store that feels we are making it so they can’t compete with us we will be happy to spend some time on the phone or in person at shows to tell them how they can beat us every time. Seriously.

Where is your stuff made?
This is one of my favorites. The implications are obvious. That said our gear is going to be made globally. It’s a global world and providing the best gear means finding the best source. That is exactly what I am going to do. Quality is not determined by where it is made but how it is made and what processes are in place to ensure it is made correctly and with the highest quality materials. That is my goal. I personally visit all of our suppliers and am satisfied that they share our concern for their employees and the environment. Then I go diving with them. (I have even taught some of my supplier’s employees how to dive!)

What is the single most exciting thing you are doing?
I introduced a whole slew of awesome product at DEMA and have twice as many already in the development pipeline at various stages. However…it’s isn’t that.
The single most exciting thing is that Deep 6 is designed to help others be empowered and successful.
For the new Instructor trying to build a business, the Public Safety team keeping us all safe, or the not for profit with an important vision of making the world a better place, our model allows us team with and help support them while they help us. That is simply freaking awesome!

What scares you the most?

I suck at paperwork, it’s important.

When are you selling/shipping?
Very, very shortly, in the mean time you can head over to www.deep6gear.com and set up an account and follow our progress.

Why DEMA for launch when it’s a show about selling to dive retailers?
Well….those aren’t the dealers you are looking for… (eagerly looking forward to The Force Awakens)

In truth a great percentage of the “Dive Retailer Buyers” at DEMA do not represent a dive store, they went thru the effort of making it “appear” they are so they can play. The reps could generally care less because they get paid commission and the brands and DEMA are busy shoring up their crumbling Ivory Tower and don’t get out much. We got to meet and hang with our target audience for partners, no worries.

Can any dive shop be a “Demo Center”?
No, go away.
OK, that was the short answer; the long one is that we don’t want a whole ton of them. We have a few in mind and know there are a few more we don’t have in mind that will be awesome at it. Please if after reading this far without throwing something and wanting to get involved, knowing we only want to work with the very best, most fun locations that dives their asses off…reach out. However if we select to work with you don’t expect a box of gear to arrive in the big brown truck and that it is. The demo centers will be expected to hang out with us for a three-four day training and orientation session, during which we will get to know each other more (both directions), learn the gear in detail and do some diving. Think of it as a long weekend away with a new date, Monday will tell the story.

Can the industry survive?

Hell ya! In fact I’m betting everything on it, just a bit more acute pain but the light isn’t a train.

Can DEMA survive?
It doesn’t deserve to. It is simply a parasite, the sooner it goes away the sooner a better solution emerges. Even as a trade show, let alone “Our Association” (BS) it sucks. It sets aside an area for new business’s in the industry, yet the Executive Director can’t make the effort to personally introduce himself and welcome them (based upon my asking other “first timers” if he did). But I did see him a few times… in the big brands/agencies booths. What a joke and the DEMA Board should be ashamed and it is well past time to grow a pair and make the association relevant again and help the industry grow by nurturing new ideas instead of acting like parasites eating the almost dead whale. But hey, carry on folks, proof is in the pudding. That whale is soon going to spoil, enjoy the meal.
DEMA show “Take away”?

Orange is the new Black.

good job at DEMA Chris. If the industry is not challenged it will die. It was good seeing your passion and new ideas. I wish you a lot of luck!

The Deep 6 gear looked very impressive. It will be a welcome addition to an independent instructor's toolkit. I'm looking forward to it.

Congrats!!! The industry needs to be challenged more than ever, glad to see some one is doing it. Here in Hawaii there has become almost an underground for diving to avoid the dive shops as many of them have missed the mark so bad on locals we said screw it and do our own thing. Looking forward to see what y'all bring to the industry.

You made me excited to see what gear you have/make, but then there is nothing listed on your website. It's fine and dandy that other businesses are excited and know what you're doing because of being at DEMA, and how about your consumers?

soon come... many items showed up the friday prior, photoshoots take time. You may have missed this post as well

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-6-outfitters/517357-some-dema-shots.html

sorry...as soon as I can the products will be populated. Right now only a very few items in stock, by mid jan we will be rocking everything

You made me excited to see what gear you have/make, but then there is nothing listed on your website. It's fine and dandy that other businesses are excited and know what you're doing because of being at DEMA, and how about your consumers?

---------- Post added November 9th, 2015 at 10:42 PM ----------

Congrats!!! The industry needs to be challenged more than ever, glad to see some one is doing it. Here in Hawaii there has become almost an underground for diving to avoid the dive shops as many of them have missed the mark so bad on locals we said screw it and do our own thing. Looking forward to see what y'all bring to the industry.

yeah I know and am working to support that as well. I secured a compressor deal and tanks at DEMA, in short...we'll have a app for that!

Are you a retailer or a brand?
In truth both and neither. We are a socially based technology company that will leverage connections to create a profitable company that is able to positively impact the lives of our employees, customers, partners, the environment and society.

That had me thinking you were a services company, maybe related to advertising, business consulting, etc... Then I went to your website. On the About Us page, I finally discovered:

Welcome to Deep Six, we’re glad you have taken the time to drop by and visit us. Deep Six is the world’s first brand of Scuba Equipment that from the inception was intended to be marketed exclusively through use of the Internet, Social Media and word of mouth.

So you're an online dive gear vendor with a specific brand. Further down the page:

In 2007 Chris had the opportunity to join a startup equipment company called EDGE Dive Gear. While there, he invented the HOG Gear brand, and was responsible for all marketing, sales and product development for both EDGE and HOG. Under his tenure, EDGE and HOG quickly captured the attention of the dive community and established a reputation for quality, performance and value. After several years at the helm, he felt limited by the structure of EDGE and HOG and in 2014 left to create Deep Six. His vision is to deliver no compromise, high quality, high performance dive equipment, and industry leading customer service and support to the diving public.

EDGE/HOG has made a name for itself as good gear at a good price, but that last line had me thinking of more 'premium' marketed gear. Made me wonder if what you're doing is at all like when some people left ScubaPro to found Atomic Aquatics (if memory serves)? (Note: not looking to start a tangent over whether HOG/Edge is as good as Atomic/Apeks/whatever).

I'm interested to see how this line rolls out. Do you see yourself mostly marketing to retailers, end users, 50/50?

Richard.

I'm interested to see how this line rolls out. Do you see yourself mostly marketing to retailers, end users, 50/50?

Richard.

we won't have dealers as talked about in my OP. The marketing is to divers

Yes, the gear is more high end. the model is completely different

Good luck with the new venture, look forward to an Asian warehouse some day in the future to help keep those shipping costs down

we won't have dealers as talked about in my OP. The marketing is to divers

What confused me was the mention of the option for some LDS's to become 'demo. centers.' If they can't resell your product, seems unlikely they'd want to have a demo center in their store, which probably sells competitor product at a profit for them.

So how does the LDS demo. center thing work?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom