Deep 6 DIN regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there any way to tell if my 1st stages have the incorrect fitting? I bought them a couple of weeks ago and used them today for the first time. Both regs hissed and leaked gas pretty significantly when I turned them on - there was a little crud in the o-ring groove which I cleaned out and in putting it back I had to work it around quite a bit to have it fit back in. I guess the follow-up question is if it's supposed to be that way or just be able to drop into the slot?

FWIW, there were no issues at all during an almost 2hr dive in 50F water this morning.

It's easy to tell if you have the "pop'o'matic" DIN cap.

IMG_0111.JPG

Outside to in, metal lip, groove with oring, metal lip, raised metal lip.
This is the updated part note how the outside ring of metal is thinner than the inside ring.

In a pop'o'matic the outside and inside metal lip are the same size.

IMG_0110.JPG

The color difference is a lighting artifact. The cap on the right is the new part. Note that'll the installed DIN cap the metal lips are the same size, whereas the cap on the left the outside in visible thinner than the inside.

Nice pics Candiru now I also know....

@elgoog if you had to work to get the o ring in then it's probably not the older part, almost by definition.

Pop'o'matic. Love it.

Thanks for the photos, @Candiru

I think I have the pop-o-matics on both my 1st stages - I had my doubles flat on the floor while removing the regs and both o-rings fell out and were in the valves. Here's what it looks like - Deep 6 1st stages - Pop-o-matics

@cerich @LandonL - Could you confirm based on the photos? Also, let me know how I can go about getting the replacement part for both of my 1st stages.

I'm new to diving, but as a repair tech in another industry which commonly uses size 004-020 o-rings (and the occasional 112), please really consider -- and test -- if you do want colored o-rings. In our industry, one of the first things I do when repairing something from a make that uses the colors, is to replace the colored ones with regular uncolored ones of the same material and hardness. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome to be able to say to someone "replace the green o-ring that lies between the two red ones in the middle of the bolt assembly" instead of "replace the bolt sail o-ring that lies in the center, between the bumpers in the middle of the bolt assembly (see diagram)".

Do you happen to work in the paintball industry?

Sounds real similar to disassembling a Planet Eclipse/Dye gun...

I had not picked up on that but it is definently paintball bolt speak. Especially on the Matrix/DM4/DM5 speak. I used to play for a regional team sponsored by Dye when they first picked up the Matrix line.

Heh. At the time I did. I can be a bit more open about things now that I don't. It was Dye (@Doby45 pointed that out) who did it, and very few techs liked the new orings when they came out. They also love over-charging shops for the "privilege" of selling them to customers.

Back
Top Bottom