Deep 6 Gear 3mm Wetsuit... they say its 'badass'.... and they're right. Here's why:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Preface: I'm a SoCal, recently relocated to SoFL. Nearly the entirety of my 20+ years of diving (after about dive 25) have been in Drysuits... not a fan of wet diving.

But here in SoFL, if I'm going to dive several times a week, I realized I need to lean into wet diving. So the search began for a proper 3mm suit that would meet my crazy quality standards...

I'm a gear snob. There. I said it. I buy good stuff, dive the snot out of it, and take very good care of it. I hate cheap gear. I hate poor designed gear. I hate throw away gear. I hate fake gear. So the Deep6 wetsuit looked promising, despite the fact the description on their site features only three lines:
  • 3MM Neoprene
  • Pockets
  • Badass

?temp_hash=a115a4c3ac373d490d864c40bffe303b.jpg

Deep 6 Wetsuit.jpg

Admittedly, $299 is ambitious for a 3mm wetsuit. I was looking at several others, but also spying the Apeks pocket shorts ($165...)... as most other pocket shorts suck. So I figured I'd take a look at the Deep6 suit and decide for myself if its really badass.

Oh, it is.

Below are all the features and thoughtful design elements they don't tell you in their three line description (they do go into a bit more detail about the suit on the page, but a lot of that is branding, and very little about the suit....) - so here goes.

Review
I now have 9 dives on this suit. Moderate depth stuff (127 FSW wreck), shallow reef stuff (40 - 60 FSW), guppy diving (10 - 25 FSW) and some stuff in-between. The suit is fabulous.

FIT - I'm 5-9 and about 170 - 173 pounds. I have stubby legs and short arms, big shoulders and thick legs and calfs. Generally I take a large short. They only have Med and Large. When I called Deep 6 (answered 2nd ring), they suggested a large. I agreed... better longish arms and legs than a crunched shoulder and mid-section. And as suspected, the arms and legs are a bit long. My plan is to cut off an inch, inch-and-a-half and stitch the seam. I'll get to that this or next week.

DESIGN - so many amazing details. This suit was absolutely designed to be badass, and not some $149 best seller (only $129 this weekend!!).... the suit is loaded with features and design elements that tell me these guys just get it:

Interior
  • All of the 'points' (places where seams come together) are dotted... love this.
  • The orange interior is a bit plush... super comfy, and easy to get into...even when wet from the previous day's dive. Not sure what its made of, but it reminded me of a softer, tougher wool that some manufacturers use. Its pretty awesome
  • Long skin 'seals' at the legs and arms - and these skins, in addition to being glued, are tacked at the seams at the exit point. Very cool and another thoughtful detail
  • Zipper pad is wide, soft, and comfy... I'll never feel the zipper digging in.
  • The gussets are in the right places.... the suit moves very well... I'm a frog kicking back plate wearing scootering kinda guy. Its super easy to move in this thing. The crotch gusset is about twice the size of my lame Body Glove 3mm this is replacing... Flexibility isn't just a function of the neoprene, its also a function of seam placement and panel cuts... and these guys got it right.

Exterior
  • Kevlar in (nearly) all the right places.... serious knee pads (wrap around... not just spray on dots on the knee caps)... Kevlar in the crotch (nice!) for us scooter types
  • The backs of the knees have this ribbed flexy stuff (not a WS designer... sorry)... impressive detail
  • The seams are all sealed with a bead of orange stuff... apparently this is to reduce flush. I like that the seams aren't exposed. It also adds a bit of head-turning flair to the suit (this thing does get the comments when I wear it on the boats....)
  • There are these dot things under the arms on the side of the suit... presume they are there for both looks and for arm wear. Not sure that they're for. The suit really needs protection from the backplate straps (more on that below....)
  • Pockets!! They're glue on pockets (boo) tacked on the corners (yay!) The pockets are large (smaller than my DS pockets), they have contrasting bungee loops already installed, they drain fast, are velcro closure (Super Wide velcro strip) and there is a stiffener in the pull flap so you can't miss it. The flap also has a pocket for small stuff (for me, car key) I dig them. NOTE: they are not on your hips, where your last suit had them. They're more in front... probably for side mount divers and such. Took me a bit of getting used to the placement.
  • Velcro tab on the zipper! Thank you for that.... nothing worse than a zipper pull, flapping in the current.
  • There are 'pads' on your forearm that are intended for gauges. I don't wear mine that far back so they're not great for me.
  • Reflective strip on your wrist. No a fan of these either, as I'm a photographer, and when my buddy had a BARE suit with these, we ended up getting a paint pen and blacking them out... she lit up every time I shot her.
  • On the neck, there is the word "Doublet" screened on... not sure that that means.

The Good - super comfy, very mobile, easy to get in and out of. Love the pockets, love the zipper velcro tab

The Great - super knee pads, dig the huge crotch gusset and the crotch pad... although I dive with the 3-point harness these days (crotch Dring pulling from your bum, not from your crotch), if I still dived with just the single point, this would be awesome.

The Meh - gauge pads so far up the forearm. Pockets on the downward side of my thighs (I am a photographer, so my full pockets are the first things to hit the bottom, the sand, the reef....

The Poor - not much After just 9 dives, I'm already wearing and fraying the suit behind the armpits (my lats) from my backplate. I'm going to need to glue on some protection there, for sure. (hint: take those forearm pads and move them back to the arm pit / Lats area.

Ambitious at $299 for a 3mm? Yeah... puts it right near the top of the category. But you know, I'm not doing 20 dives a year. I need more than a Body Glove or a Roxy or a (insert cheapass $99 - $149 3mm here)... this is a serious suit for the serious grind I'm going to put it through. It looks great. It fits great (albeit a little long in the arms and legs for me), it is constructed very well, it has design features you just don't find a lot of... I'm impressed.

I need to address the fraying Lats after 9 dives... but aside from that, I'm sure this suit will take quite the beating.

Thanks, Deep 6.

Pics below

- Ken

Exterior Photos

Side Dots....

Crotch Pad and forward leaning pockets and real Kevlar knee pads

Glue on pockets - tacked on the corners.

Behind the knee ribbing

Exterior sealed seams

No more flapping zipper pull!

Full Suit Exterior. Some badassery for sure.

Exterior - Arm Dots.jpg
Exterior - Crotch Pad.jpg
Exterior - Full.jpg
Exterior - Glue On Pocket.jpg
Exterior - Knee Backs.jpg
Exterior - Seams.jpg
View attachment 547192

Some interior shots

Huge crotch gusset for us frog kickers... dots for days!
?temp_hash=78878e1a919da62a3cf1b914cf67311e.jpg

Seriously - Dots everywhere....

Glide Skins tacked... nice touch

Full Interior.... nicely done, guys. Super comfy.

INterior - FULL.jpg
INterior #1.jpg
Interior - Glode Skin Gusset.jpg
Interior #2.jpg
INterior #3.jpg

Thanks for a very thorough review. I'm currently considering the D6 7mm vs. the Waterproof W4. Your review fills in a lot of unknowns of the D6.

You hit on every good point, I love mine. I find the seals are really good and keep me nice and warm even in the cool stuff. I have not had the issue of my bp wearing at my lats though. As for the forearm pads. They are one of my favorite features. In my previous two suits my computer was always twisting around or slipping down my arm. On this suit I put it on and it stays put. I find the placement perfect for me. I have my computer on my right forearm and a curved slate on the other.

Thx for the review...I've been eying this one and I think you've pushed me over the top.

These shots show the wear across the lats after 6 dives. It hasn't changed much with the three from yesterday.

I'm thinking this is gonna be pretty roughed up at 50, 100+ dives. I'll keep an eye on it.

Love this suit. Truly.

- Ken

?temp_hash=e2b955ebd42aeac7bfb8ef7ffe7601a9.jpg

Back Fray #1.jpg

Attachments

• 20191028_093305.jpg
    20191028_093305.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20191028_093255.jpg
    20191028_093255.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 20191028_093236.jpg
    20191028_093236.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 99
WAG, The exterior, side dots may be some attempt at protection from harness straps on hog-rigged plates.

Re: the unusual lat-area wear: Are you using a skeletonized plate like the Dive-Rite LW Stainless? I just picked one up for use with heavy wetsuits and steel doubles. Now I am wondering if i need a pad just for wear or to switch to an AL plate.

WAG, The exterior, side dots may be some attempt at protection from harness straps on hog-rigged plates.

Re: the unusual lat-area wear: Are you using a skeletonized plate like the Dive-Rite LW Stainless? I just picked one up for use with heavy wetsuits and steel doubles. Now I am wondering if i need a pad just for wear or to switch to an AL plate.

Nah... I'm a DSS guy. Deep Sea Supply.

The wear isn't enormous... just surprising after so few dives. The suit rocks, and for all of its other amazing features, this surprises me.

If you're considering it, you shouldn't hesitate.

- Ken

. . .
FIT - I'm 5-9 and about 170 - 173 pounds. I have stubby legs and short arms, big shoulders and thick legs and calfs. Generally I take a large short. They only have Med and Large. When I called Deep 6 (answered 2nd ring), they suggested a large. I agreed... better longish arms and legs than a crunched shoulder and mid-section. And as suspected, the arms and legs are a bit long. My plan is to cut off an inch, inch-and-a-half and stitch the seam. I'll get to that this or next week.

That has been my concern as well in considering this suit. Not enough size options. I am likewise 5'8" and about 170 lbs. with short arms and legs but a broad chest and shoulders relative to my height, and brands that fit me typically refer to my size as "Medium-Large-Short." After all the amazing attention to detail in this suit, having to tailor it to my arms and legs isn't something I want to take on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom