Deep 6 reg comparison against AL LUX Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You folks are all acting like I marketed it as the final and best regulator ever.. just saying.

It's an exceptional regulator, there are also other brands that offer exceptional regulators. I actually prefer the breathing on some regs that I know aren't as good on the machine as others because of the way they breath. For instance, i know the Atomics breath really well, I don't enjoy diving them, I prefer a more noticeable venturi. It's more about my preference than facts (biased by thousands of dives using a SP G250 second I suspect, but my seconds are outperforming a G250 and hanging with the atomics, the Atomic firsts stage however has higher flow than the Deep 6 first stage, that is a matter of bal piston over bal diaphragm, and unless you are doing sub 600fsw dives..whatever) It' hard to remove bias.

The mouthpiece complaint..seriously change it. Sorry, but many people love our mouthpiece, some don't. There is no mouthpiece I could pick that everybody would universally like. I love AL Comfo bites, others hate them, some love Sea Cures, they disgust me, some love my Deep 6 mouthpiece, I like it, and some obviously don't. This is almost like boxers and briefs, go with what works for you.

Regards the DIN metal hand wheel. I see where it could be more slick and a issue, especially if the user is used to over tightening the DIN fitting onto the tank valve (and many do). If you tighten the DIN wheel to the first stage correctly , two finger tight... you won't need a glove to remove the reg from the first stage. That said, i KNOW that many over tighten the first stage (just like they do LP hoses) and I will look at making it better. My interim suggestion is they really don't need to be tight at all, just bottomed out, when you open the tank valve the pressure will more than hold it in place. i actually slightly(very important lightly) lube my DIN threads with cristolube, makes it easier on/off, others don't.

You folks are all acting like I marketed it as the final and best regulator ever.. just saying.

It's an exceptional regulator, there are also other brands that offer exceptional regulators. I actually prefer the breathing on some regs that I know aren't as good on the machine as others because of the way they breath. For instance, i know the Atomics breath really well, I don't enjoy diving them, I prefer a more noticeable venturi. It's more about my preference than facts (biased by thousands of dives using a SP G250 second I suspect, but my seconds are outperforming a G250 and hanging with the atomics, the Atomic firsts stage however has higher flow than the Deep 6 first stage, that is a matter of bal piston over bal diaphragm, and unless you are doing sub 600fsw dives..whatever) It' hard to remove bias.

The mouthpiece complaint..seriously change it. Sorry, but many people love our mouthpiece, some don't. There is no mouthpiece I could pick that everybody would universally like. I love AL Comfo bites, others hate them, some love Sea Cures, they disgust me, some love my Deep 6 mouthpiece, I like it, and some obviously don't. This is almost like boxers and briefs, go with what works for you.

Regards the DIN metal hand wheel. I see where it could be more slick and a issue, especially if the user is used to over tightening the DIN fitting onto the tank valve (and many do). If you tighten the DIN wheel to the first stage correctly , two finger tight... you won't need a glove to remove the reg from the first stage. That said, i KNOW that many over tighten the first stage (just like they do LP hoses) and I will look at making it better. My interim suggestion is they really don't need to be tight at all, just bottomed out, when you open the tank valve the pressure will more than hold it in place. i actually slightly(very important lightly) lube my DIN threads with cristolube, makes it easier on/off, others don't.

Good candid and unbiased comments, as usual Chris.

I too prefer the patented AL Comfo bite mouthpiece ($9.00 @ LP).

I also prefer Venturi assist. for steady easy breathing.

I have owned SP, AL, APOLLO, Poseidon, Mares regs,

My favorite is still the MR12, purchased under the old Swim master brand.
Bill Oliver, now the chief engineer @ Sherwood, holds the original patent
(now expired).

Been diving with Bill many times, fine diver and a great engineer.

I know you are constantly improving your products based on solid customer feedback
and you do not get defensive when divers comment on Deep 6 equipment. Good approach.

Last edited:
I prefer a more noticeable venturi

I also prefer Venturi assist.

Out of curiosity, it is possible to describe the feel of the venturi assist? I've seen the diagrams and have an idea what the science/engineering is, but I'm trying to understand what the mouth feel would be like (without the benefit of having an Atomic and something with a more noticeable venturi assist in front of me...)

Out of curiosity, it is possible to describe the feel of the venturi assist? I've seen the diagrams and have an idea what the science/engineering is, but I'm trying to understand what the mouth feel would be like (without the benefit of having an Atomic and something with a more noticeable venturi assist in front of me...)

Very smooth flow of air regardless of effort or depth.

If you are just cruising along breathing slow and smooth, or working harder against a current
the Venturi assist regulator delivers air in the same fashion.

I, currently, have five regs in my dive locker. I have sold or given away to my sons or friends, several more.

My go to regulator is always the MR12.

Very smooth flow of air regardless of effort or depth.
I've heard the Atomics described the same way but I know their Venturi assist (they call it AFC) is different, depth sensitive. I guess I'm not sure how to reconcile the Atomics being described as easy breathing, but having a less noticable Venturi effect.

I've heard the Atomics described the same way but I know their Venturi assist (they call it AFC) is different, depth sensitive. I guess I'm not sure how to reconcile the Atomics being described as easy breathing, but having a less noticable Venturi effect.
the work of breathing on atomics are excellent.. the work however is consistent throughout the whole breathing (effort to get the gas flowing, to maintain the gas flowing and exhale), with a more noticeable venturi effect the effort to keep the gas flowing is less...because it is being more delivered than demanded. Too much however and it's easy to make the second stage unstable and prone to freeflows, in particular when out of mouth.

It's kinda like some really good sipping rums (you need to try El Dorado 15).. versus a shot of 151 Navy rum (although not quite at 151 proof I really like Lost spirits Navy rum). Some can enjoy both, some only appreciate one or the other, both are awesome.

with a more noticeable venturi effect the effort to keep the gas flowing is less...
That's exactly the clarification I was looking for, thanks!

I would assume that your Deep 6 2nd goes for the more noticeable venturi effect and would guess that the SP G250 does as well from what you've written. In your experience are there any other notable 2nds that do/do not fall into that category? I'm trying to compare to rental regulators I've encountered...

I've had the El Dorado 15, and even a glass or two of the 21 :). While I'm more of a bourbon guy overall, if you're spending time in the Caribbean a study of fine rums is just a matter of cultural appreciation :wink:. Anything north of 130 though I'll leave for you.

One of my friends owns an Apeks XTX-50 and he was telling me that Deep 6 is better. I have owned an Apeks XTX-50 and if something is better than that it must be one hell of a beast.

Got mine in the mail yesterday, can't wait to put the Deep 6 regs to the test. My Zeagle F8 may make its way on to the site in the classifieds section, lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom