Deep 6 wing questions and an issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding your boots...for wetsuit boots I like to buy a size larger than what fits perfect...it makes the boot easier to take off after a dive. When neoprene dive booties are wet there tends to be some "sticktion" that can cause it to be a pain in behind to get the boots off...a little extra room allows that "sticktion" to be easily overcome/not present helping the boots come off easier...it also allows one to wear a wool or fleece sock if a little more insulation is needed.
Yes these have a bit of play, enough to add some extra insulation but not too much to be sloppy. I may have to get some for my daughter she just outgrew her booties that I got her just 4 months ago.

You can video call if you want and I can show how to setup a BP/W and do your personal adjustments.

I may take you up on that, but cant right this moment, I'll PM you to see what time works. I figured that the strap could be flipped to work into different holes in the upper plate by flipping it since the riveted hole is offset. Only one seemed to line up though, which i thought was odd. I don't really need the wing lower except to move the plate up off the kidney dump. Ill have to see if any of that changes my trim much.

Currently, I just pass the LP inflator hose through the bungee loop and connect it to the corrugated hose. This gives greater freedom/range of motion for the corrugated hose.

Thanks, I will try this as I can see it giving a better range of motion rather than catching in the corrugated dips and creating an S shape instead of a straight up deflator

as you surmise you cannot really install them if you are using the anti-chaffing tubular webbing for the lower slots for the shoulder/waist strap webbing. I used to use the anti-chaffing webbing in this location until I found that my straps adjustment would occasionally creep which was mildly frustrating.
I pulled my lower sleeves for this very reason. each time i would don/doff it would slip a little and since I always pull one arm out first it was creating uneven straps. I put on the triglides instead and no more slipping

if the grommet in the webbing is offset along the width of the webbing, you can unthread the harness webbing and turn it over to reposition the grommet to line up with a different hole.

The grommet is offset but only seems to line up well with the middle hole no matter which position I place it in. Its not that big of a deal though, I sjust wanted to get the plat a bit more off the kidney dump

This line can be used to create a loop for the corrugated hose/LP inflator hose instead of the length of bungee that came in your kit but typically the bungee is used. The line is just extra and can be used to attach bolt snaps to things like your SPG high pressure hose, your torch, and your primary 2nd stage hose (especially if you are diving with a primary donate setup as it allows you to clip off your 2nd stage when you are out of the water so that it does not hit the ground when you take off your rig).

OK that makes since I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other reason. Since I have all my boltsnaps tied up already I toss it in with the other line i have.

Very detailed answers to all my questions BTW, thank you very much.

The grommet is offset but only seems to line up well with the middle hole no matter which position I place it in. Its not that big of a deal though, I sjust wanted to get the plat a bit more off the kidney dump

You can always rethread the webbing with a few inches to one side or the other to move the grommet out of the way and then melt a new hole as I suggested earlier. You will invariably find that the waist belt portion of the harness is longer than needed so offsetting the webbing will not effect things negatively. If you don't plan on removing/reattaching your wing often then you will not have any problems with an un-grommette hole melted in the webbing.

Here are a couple of links you can peruse to help you get the harness set up/fit properly:
DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate
BAUE How To Size a Backplate

-Z

@aviator8 If you need anything further let us know.

@aviator8 If you need anything further let us know.
Hey thanks Landon. It was good talking to you last night. I made those adjustments, I think the d rings were the only thing left to adjust after we talked. I got those done and put on with a wetsuit. Things feel much better now. I appreciate the extra pointers you had for getting my trim and propulsion right. I am going to get wet and work on those. Once I get them settled I need to get down there and do a dive with you or take a class. Again thanks very very helpful as always! Another great customer service experience from Deep6.

Hey thanks Landon. It was good talking to you last night. I made those adjustments, I think the d rings were the only thing left to adjust after we talked. I got those done and put on with a wetsuit. Things feel much better now. I appreciate the extra pointers you had for getting my trim and propulsion right. I am going to get wet and work on those. Once I get them settled I need to get down there and do a dive with you or take a class. Again thanks very very helpful as always! Another great customer service experience from Deep6.
Would you mind showing some pictures of your BP/W now that you have it setup? What did you end up doing for the inflator hose?

Sure I’ll try to post some pictures tommorrow.

I bought the same BCD a year and a half ago as my first BPW. I asked the same question about the string that came with it. The only thing I added later that hasn't been mentioned was I used plastic, thicker, tri -glides for the bottom of the plate. On one dive the metal tri glides slipped through the slots on the back plate and it was kind of a pain. I lost the crotch strap after day 1 and have not looked back but that is another topic.

Back
Top Bottom