Deep dive ( the wall ) ft. Wetherill

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luca Brasi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone done this dive recently? Any sit specific suggestions on making this dive? Thanks

I've done this dive and you can really get some depth

Deep Dive” or “The Wall”

Aptly named, it is the deepest of the three sites featuring a rock wall whose coverage changes with the seasons…many divers love it the best when it is covered with colorful anemones. After parking and gearing up, head south toward the water along a wide, dirt/gravel path. On the left there will be a path down onto a cobblestone beach. Use caution during entrances and exits. There are multiple levels you can explore, but depths beyond 90 feet can be easily attained. Around 30 ft there is a ledge that is home to many different fishes and invertebrates. Northern Pufferfish and Burrfish have been known to swim around this region.

In true New England diving style, this site is highly dependent on the environmental conditions. The pebble beach can make for rough entrances and exits if the surf is high, so be sure to use caution. However, if you get blown out of this site or the light penetration is not high enough, it is easy enough to switch to one of the other two locations.

FT_EntrancesParking-1024x524.jpg

I've done this dive and you can really get some depth

Deep Dive” or “The Wall”

Aptly named, it is the deepest of the three sites featuring a rock wall whose coverage changes with the seasons…many divers love it the best when it is covered with colorful anemones. After parking and gearing up, head south toward the water along a wide, dirt/gravel path. On the left there will be a path down onto a cobblestone beach. Use caution during entrances and exits. There are multiple levels you can explore, but depths beyond 90 feet can be easily attained. Around 30 ft there is a ledge that is home to many different fishes and invertebrates. Northern Pufferfish and Burrfish have been known to swim around this region.

In true New England diving style, this site is highly dependent on the environmental conditions. The pebble beach can make for rough entrances and exits if the surf is high, so be sure to use caution. However, if you get blown out of this site or the light penetration is not high enough, it is easy enough to switch to one of the other two locations.

View attachment 604840

At least give SECONN Divers credit when you directly copy off their website

Fort Wetherill, Jamestown, Rhode Island - SECONN Skin Divers

Just dove that on August 23rd. Made it to the bottom of the wall at the end of the point an experienced some of the strongest currents I ever felt in that area. Usually get down to 75 feet and there is little to no current. This time it was nasty. The wall has some great features, just watch out for the incoming fishing lines.

Just dove that on August 23rd. Made it to the bottom of the wall at the end of the point an experienced some of the strongest currents I ever felt in that area. Usually get down to 75 feet and there is little to no current. This time it was nasty. The wall has some great features, just watch out for the incoming fishing lines.

Yeah ya really need to pick your time and stick to it or deal with the current there. Also going around the point between Sandy Bottom Cove and West Cove can be 80+FSW and best done during slack when you'll still feel some degree of current and it can be going in opposite directions at different depths. Jamestown is an interesting place to dive for many reasons. :) I still have a clay jug I found at 100FSW the 1st time I did the Deep Wall dive in the 1980's. The jug is "stamped" E B Rich with blue coloring on some of the letters. The mouth looks like it had a cork.

Yeah ya really need to pick your time and stick to it or deal with the current there. Also going around the point between Sandy Bottom Cove and West Cove can be 80+FSW and best done during slack when you'll still feel some degree of current and it can be going in opposite directions at different depths. Jamestown is an interesting place to dive for many reasons. :) I still have a clay jug I found at 100FSW the 1st time I did the Deep Wall dive in the 1980's. The jug is "stamped" E B Rich with blue coloring on some of the letters. The mouth looks like it had a cork.
Nice find! The most I ever found there was some lead fishing weights, a few derelict lobstah pots and a ton of fishing line. Last dive I got wrapped up pretty good but easily escaped.

Back
Top Bottom