Deep Diver Cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took this course a few months ago. This should have been covered in the course. My class included multiple dives to 130', plus some exercises to show the effects of (potential) narcosis.

I took this class in the typically cold San Diego late Fall. I would be comfortable planning and executing a dive to that depth, in these conditions or better. For example, 130' in areas here I'm familiar with, or warm tropical water with great viz.

Same depth in the even colder NE, or in more limted viz or with a significant current? No way, I'm not qualified to lead that kind of dive. I might do one of those with a local buddy, experienced in local conditions, with extra care and planning.

Putting a definitive limit on depth based on a class is too simplistic a model. Recommendations, suggestions, sure. But each diver has to decide on every dive, based on their comfort level and their perception of whether or not their training and experience has prepared them for that dive.

Equipment almost always dictates where/how deep you can dive but what good is having the best gear in the world if you don't know how to use it. Taking a Deep class doesn't mean you're the best at diving to that depth but it does (or should) expose you to the conditions at deeper depths (like narcosis).

Certified, and qualified, are two different concepts. Personally, I don't think that reading a book, watching a video, and taking a test qualify you for diving that deep. I have taken the course, and don't feel it's enough.

Most dive masters won't take you that deep without an Advanced Diver card. And, that requires 24 dives and 3 other courses.

Obviously, you can do what you want. I just think its a silly question to ask. If you have to ask, the answer is an obvious "no".

+1
(My Bold) and equipped

Did/does the class cover how much gas you need to excecute a deep dive and make all the stops on the way up? Yes it is still in the "NDL" category but wouldn't it be nice to be able to know how to make a deep stop or two and your safety stop while not sweating the gas?

There's been several deaths in the PNW from people going too far too soon. Single tank to the deeper parts with fatal results. One ended up in an out of air event then an air share gone bad ending with another unneeded death....

+1
(My Bold) and equipped

Did/does the class cover how much gas you need to excecute a deep dive and make all the stops on the way up?

My SSI "deep" course spent considerable time covering gas planning and management. Since I took the course about a week after the OOA death in San Diego (two new divers to 140-160 depending on who you believe on Al80s and running out of air both at depth and again on the air-sharing ascent), I certainly paid attention.

I'd say that physiological effects and planning were the most heaviliy covered topics.

+1
(My Bold) and equipped

Did/does the class cover how much gas you need to excecute a deep dive and make all the stops on the way up? Yes it is still in the "NDL" category but wouldn't it be nice to be able to know how to make a deep stop or two and your safety stop while not sweating the gas?

There's been several deaths in the PNW from people going too far too soon. Single tank to the deeper parts with fatal results. One ended up in an out of air event then an air share gone bad ending with another unneeded death....

OOA/OOG emergencies are way too frequent, and seem to give scuba diving a bad image. Not paying attention to your guages is (IMHO) a poor excuse, expecially for divers taking a deep diving class, or any kind of advanced course.

My class covered gas management, but it nevers hurts to get more info. A couple sites that I found interesting are DIR-Rock Bottom, Rock Bottom for Rec, and Gas Management.

Most dive masters won't take you that deep without an Advanced Diver card. And, that requires 24 dives and 3 other courses.

Which agency is that? PADI required 5 extra supervised dives, of which one had to be deep (> 18m) and one navigation. And of course the fee. I also got a book (Adventures in Diving). So theoretically, you can be an Advanced diver from PADI with 9 lifetime dives of which only one was deeper that 18m...

Which agency is that? PADI required 5 extra supervised dives, of which one had to be deep (> 18m) and one navigation. And of course the fee. I also got a book (Adventures in Diving). So theoretically, you can be an Advanced diver from PADI with 9 lifetime dives of which only one was deeper that 18m...

SSI requires 24 OW dives plus 4 specialty courses to certify you as an Advanced Diver. In order to go below 60ft one of those courses must be a Deep course

Hence the huge arguments about which agency is better (i.e. NAUI, PADI, SSI, TDI, YMCA, etc.). As a lot of people have said, it has a lot more to do to with how well the instructor teaches you than whether the agency has low standards or not.

I'm an SSI Advanced Diver. SSI has pretty good material that's fairly relevant to the subject.

I'm not convinced that the Deep Diving course alone can prepare you for deep diving. But I have to add that taking Deep Diving, Navigation, Low-Visibility, and Nitrox gave me enough material to understand the complexities of going deep. Nothing works in a vacuum.

How is Nitrox training relevant to Deep Diving? You can't dive EAN32 much deeper than 100. But understanding the concepts of O2 Toxicity relative to Nitrogen loading makes you more aware of the process. I'm a much better air diver after getting certified for Nitrox.

Likewise, if you're going into deep, cold, dark water, you better know how to take a compass heading. Navigation is critical.

Likewise, if you're going into deep, cold, dark water, you better know how to take a compass heading. Navigation is critical.

Bah, there'll be another boat along in a while :wink:

I'm getting Nitrox certified next month and then it's on to dive con :D

On standards, SSI I believe sets higher standards than most other agencies (excluding tech agencies). However, I've never done training with anybody else so I can't say that's correct 100%, but I'm simply stating what I've heard

Back
Top Bottom