Deep Diver Training - PADI vs IANTD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...

Ok, I can respect your opinion much more with an actual argument rather than just "hahaha", you're entitled to that.

On some of the issues you note... GUE doesn't make everyone buy the same exact piece of gear and it doesn't all have to be XXX brand either. They do require a certain functionality of each piece of gear and eliminate the BS.

If you really look into DIR (which is what GUE is all about) you'll see the beauty behind it. I'm no mindless little Hitler diving around in caves in FL and I'm not even GUE trained. It wasn't widely known when I did my training. I've just found "DIR" to be the best and GUE has the best "DIR" instructors. It really works.. every single little piece of it. It works beautifully. Can you dive another way and survive? Sure, people do everyday. I simply believe that "DIR" is the best and safest way, not the ONLY way.

As far as your insight into GUE's Tech 1 program... students are taught all about MOD and O2 exposure and proper deco so they should technically be able to use ANY gas for deco that they want. This is one area GUE should be commended. You don't have to take Adv. Nitrox and deco procedures with GUE it's included in the tech 1 class. This stuff isn't rocket science.

Ok, I will spill my guts and get all you guys pissed at me... but oh well, you asked for it... My problem with GUE in general is the way they try to brainwash you and tell you exactly how to dive... Its like a whole bunch of little Hitlers diving around the caves in FLorida, and elsewhere now. I dont like being told that in order to take a class, my equipment needs to be of some certain type and i may have to buy new equipment. I have done some technical diving, and I am sorry, but I love my poseidons and my high pressure tanks. I also like my Mares Quattro fins.
Nobody has a problem with Mares Quattro fins...I used them in my DIRF class and nobody said a word about them. As for the other stuff, they may suggest what they feel is best, but nobody is going to kick you out of a GUE class or make you feel like an ass just for having hp tanks or poseidons. They may talk to you about why you choose to use them and what they use, but they won't ridicule you.

ANother thing that drives me nuts about GUE, is they feel that eveyone should use Trimix for any dive deeper than 100 feet. I think that is ridiculous. I have dove deep on air, and it gets you ready for the Trimix class, which I dont plan on using under 150 feet.
I don't want to debate deep air with you...but I made a choice not to dive deep air based on my own experiences with narcosis. I get VERY noticeably narced deeper than 120 on air or nitrox...it doesn't matter. Most of my buddies never notice a change, but for some reason I find myself very susceptible. I have experienced it in cold dark water and in warm, 100' vis, water, so conditions don't seem to make a difference. It hits me like a light switch after 120'. I want to know how deep air prepares you for a trimix class? I am taking TDI trimix right now and we are not doing deep air. If the instructor had told me we were doing deep air beforehand, I would have walked out and found another instructor. What is it about deep air that prepares you for mix training?

Everyone has their opinion, i guess. Its just we get their students in our shop to fill trimix to do the Crane wreck at 145, and they say, oh thats what GUE does, so thats why we use it. They cant explain it. Maybe its just the ones i deal with in the Boston area.
I wouldn't let a couple lemmings that have no clue about why they are doing what they are doing reflect poorly on GUE.

MAJOR ISSUE WITH GUE: About two years ago or so, we had a guy from my area go down to Florida and take a Tech 1 class. He then got fills from us for 50 % o2 for deco. About 3 months after that , he comes in and says he wants 100%. I ask him, did you take another class??? He says no, GUE just changed the standards and now, he can use 100% o2 for deco also. SO, after a class where he only used up to 50% as a deco gas, now, they just decide to let everybody use 100%. I dont get that how GUE can just change the standard, and without any further training about high o2 deco mixes, he can now use it. It blows my mind. That, in a nutshell, is why i dont like GUE and I never will.... GO IANTD!!!!!
Agencies can change standards, although I am not familiar with this change in the GUE standard. What additional training does one need to go from 50% to 100%? Last time I checked, and I can't speak for all agencies, a TDI advanced nitrox card certifies you for anything above 40%. If he was already using 50%, isn't it likely he was also trained to use 100% but was just not using it for some reason? I seem to remember GUE tech 1 covering all the various high o2 deco mixes...

Why is IANTD so superior? Maybe I should switchover from TDI and GUE to IANTD...let us in on it because I am not sure what they are doing that is better than the others..

wwdiver once bubbled...
I was just wondering what the main differences were between the PADI and IANTD Deep Diver courses (apart from the obvious differences that IANTD is more expensive and takes longer to complete).

To put this question into context, I am looking to expand my area of knowledge and techniques so I can eventually move to deeper wreck dives...so my thinking is that IANTD will be "better" as a foundation course.

Thanks in advance.
wwdiver once bubbled...
I was just wondering what the main differences were between the PADI and IANTD Deep Diver courses (apart from the obvious differences that IANTD is more expensive and takes longer to complete).

To put this question into context, I am looking to expand my area of knowledge and techniques so I can eventually move to deeper wreck dives...so my thinking is that IANTD will be "better" as a foundation course.

Thanks in advance.

The best reason to go with PADI is the introduction of their new SexTech Class

I'll let O-ring post the ad for this one too...

(psst, O-ring check the latest issue of "Going Down" for the newest ad.)

Hello everyone one .I am interesting in taking the open water course for start and I was wondering which one was better a PADI or a IANTD verification since I will be using it in abroad and in strange non touristic countries. I just wanna be sure that they will let me dive because I was thinking to take the IANTD course.

Hi @Magda magda

Since your question is about OW training, why not ask it in Basic Scuba Discussions, you would likely get more and better replies

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom