Deep Diving 108 feet w/ a single AL 80 (Air.) No redundancy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. I did such a dive in that area with an AL100 and every other diver on the boat was running AL80’s (all rental tanks). The DM was carrying a pony bottle. AL30 or 40, IIRC. That’s not a lot of spare gas if more than one of the divers runs into an issue.

People are welcome to do that if they’re comfortable with it. I’ll be using a HP100+ from now on. It’s not that I think it’s dangerous (I’m sure plenty of people do it without giving it a second thought), it’s that at that depth and with my gas consumption...it wouldn’t be worth my time (my two cents) to do a ~100’ dive with an AL80.
Hello. You said "(I’m sure plenty of people do it without giving it a second thought)"
I think that was the primary reason, I thought it was scary.
Cheers.

Then and now, leading or being led, there is no reason to go to NDL at that depth. Five minutes on the bottom is plenty to do the AOW deep dive -- which has 100 ft max, so 108 would be breaking standards -- and still get to the surface with a decent reserve. One of the things to learn on the AOW deep dive is that the deeper dives are run on air usage and NDL, not just one or the other.
Hello. I was giving the depth to the bottom. We never allowed students below 100ft. So, your answer to the question is?
Cheers.

Hello. I was giving the depth to the bottom. We never allowed students below 100ft. So, your answer to the question is?
Cheers.
"Would you personally make this dive, staying within N.D.L. on air........No redundancy?"
Yes. Depending on conditions and circumstances. If the other divers are a bunch of know-it-all cowboys, I might not even get in the water.
Why are you asking?

"Would you personally make this dive, staying within N.D.L. on air........No redundancy?"
Yes. Depending on conditions and circumstances. If the other divers are a bunch of know-it-all cowboys, I might not even get in the water.
Why are you asking?
Hello. That's the question in the O.P. You didn't answer in your first reply. I'm trying to get a general idea. How many divers would. As stated, I personally would not....even if conditions were ideal. Just not enough of a cushion for me.
Cheers.

What is the usual water temperature?

COLD, very cold!

Hello. You said "(I’m sure plenty of people do it without giving it a second thought)"
I think that was the primary reason, I thought it was scary.
Cheers.

Everyone has a different risk aversion or acceptance threshold. While I have an issue with that scenario personally (based on my breathing gas needs), I freely admit that I’m an oddball. Ex. I’ve dived solo to ~100’ without a solo cert (with a redundant air source) and I think that’s acceptable, because I do what I want.

A dive like that really depends on your SAC rate and (if you have one) your buddy's.

If your (and/or your buddy) are doing a normal NDL dive and are coming up with less than 1500 in your Alum 80 then you are pushing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom