Deep Diving 108 feet w/ a single AL 80 (Air.) No redundancy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guide in Truk was down at 190+' on an AL80 of air with a second slung. Does it every day, over 10,000 dives.
Hello. I'm not sure what this has to do with the post. "Bounce diving." could potentially be a good thread, though.
Edit:
Bounce diving?

Cheers.

I was deeper than that on Al80 single tank on my first dives after certification in the late 80's. They were wall dives on San Salvador Island, Bahamas....

I knew little of what I do now....

Like this? :)
20190514102656.jpg

Sure, I'd do it. Have done plenty of dives deeper than 100' with just an Al80. Yes you have to keep an eye on your NDL time and remaining gas. But you should be doing that anyway.

Sure, with a good buddy and a solid reserve. It's gonna be a fairly short bottom time to stay within NDLs and the required reserve volume, but it would be safe enough. I'd rather just dive small doubles and bring gas for some light deco to make it worthwhile though.

Hi BB,

That's exactly what I did in September 2010. I met a friend in Boynton Beach who invited me to dive with him if I ever made it up to Boston. I ended up with a business trip to Boston and we took a day to do 4 dives with Cape Ann Charters and Fran and Matt Marcoux.

The first dive was on the Chester Poling. My maximum depth was only 96 feet, total dive time 39 minutes. I dived an AL80 with air, started at just over 3000 psi and ended with 1200. My RMV was a little higher than normal, probably due to the water temp of 47 degrees in my full 7 mm with a 5/3 hooded vest. Second dive was at Halfway Rock, 3rd at Little Salvages, and 4th at Dry Salvages. We had a Harbor Seal with us for half the dive at Dry Salvages, great fun. Water temp on the last 2 dives was much warmer, 53-55 degrees :). Perhaps the best part was the delicious lobster dinner we had that night, ones with claws!

Hi BB,

That's exactly what I did in September 2010. I met a friend in Boynton Beach who invited me to dive with him if I ever made it up to Boston. I ended up with a business trip to Boston and we took a day to do 4 dives with Cape Ann Charters and Fran and Matt Marcoux.

The first dive was on the Chester Poling. My maximum depth was only 96 feet, total dive time 39 minutes. I dived an AL80 with air, started at just over 3000 psi and ended with 1200. My RMV was a little higher than normal, probably due to the water temp of 47 degrees in my full 7 mm with a 5/3 hooded vest. Second dive was at Halfway Rock, 3rd at Little Salvages, and 4th at Dry Salvages. We had a Harbor Seal with us for half the dive at Dry Salvages, great fun. Water temp on the last 2 dives was much warmer, 53-55 degrees :). Perhaps the best part was the delicious lobster dinner we had that night, ones with claws!
Hey @scubadada How are you?
Awesome post. I love those sites. You've basically just made me homesick.:(
I always enjoyed Cape Ann Divers...now defunct...I believe?
Is it called that because it's "Halfway." between Gloucester, and Boston? :wink:
Oh, and don't forget...It's pronounced Lobstah.
Cheers.

I was 40 m on a single AL80 yesterday. I bounced to 40 m then back to 30 m and gradually reduced depth to the end of the dive. Surfaced with 90 bar after 57 minutes for a 8.6 l per minute rate. My remaining time never dropped below 2 minutes and was back to 99 by the time I got back to around 15 m.

If I was going to stay at 40 m I would quickly run out of NDL but doing it on a single AL80 is not an issue.

This is just a normal dive.

Back
Top Bottom