• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Deep Diving 108 feet w/ a single AL 80 (Air.) No redundancy.

Discussion in 'Advanced Scuba' started by Boston Breakwater, Oct 16, 2020.

1. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

Went back to my logs from Blackbeard's in the Bahamas.
    118' for 34 minute
    121' for 34 minute
    and a few more over 100' with 40+ minute run times.
    All done on a singe AL80

2. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    11L tank for a 30m non deco dive is plentiful if you have relatively good gas consumption.
    I won't even blink an eye if someone suggesting to me!

Boston Breakwater likes this.
  3. formernuke

formernuke ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Now, hell no.....

With that said the first time i went deep was 103 with a AL 80.... being young and dumb as I was back then.

4. Seaweed Doc

Seaweed Doc MSDT ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've gone to 140' on an 80. I'd do it again for fun. But with students, as an instructor, I want more air just in case.

5. ChuckP

ChuckP Contributor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    If an aluminum 80 was all that's to be had then that's what you dive - NDL and gas volume aside no matter the tank size, it's a recreational dive...... I'd want you to be aware and have a plan for a low pressure hose failure but we should always be aware and have a plan for that...

I wouldn't even say there's "more room for error" with a bigger tank - every little bit counts maybe but at 1000psi in an 80 verses a hp120, you got 9cf more gas.

Is it worth diving that with an 80? I'd be looking for a set of doubles personally.

6. mac64

mac64 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    With good vis, no risk of fouling, no responsibility, no deco and a clear path to the surface I wouldn’t have a problem with it. But there’s very few wreck dives at 108 feet in my area that would fit that plan.

7. Boston Breakwater

Boston Breakwater "Outlaw." Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Hello. Very nice account.
    Thanks.
    Cheers.

nolatom likes this.
  8. Searcaigh

Searcaigh Chromodoris gordonii ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    At the depth you mentioned 108 ft which is approximately 33m I probably would not do this on air today, although I have done deeper dives on an AL80 years ago but with very short time at that depth in the Red Sea off Jeddah when I lived in Saudi back in the 80s/90s

Today I rarely dive air unless I have shallow dives planned (less than 18m), and I always carry a pony / stage with EAN50.

We have several dive sites that at 30m and plenty divers do this on air using a single AL80, whereas I prefer EAN34 for that additional bottom time (square profile dive) and will switch to EAN50 at 21m on ascent. I've become more realistic about my own mortality as I've grown older. I usually surface with 80-90 bar in my AL80 and use around 40-50 bar in the AL30 pony.

9. jvogt

jvogt ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

Ok, so now we are saying NDL divers need more contingency than cave divers? Anyone can be as cautious is they choose for themselves, but this is a bit over the top. Start the ascent at 1500, sure depending on your SAC that may be prudent. I would probably wait for about 1000, but would likely hit NDL first. All that said, I haven't dove to any significant depth with a single in years.

10. Jonn

Jonn ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

I wouldn’t blink at this sort of dive either. Any little problem at depth will become a big problem pretty fast, the margin isn’t really there, and a buddy isn’t giving you much more either and you might be safer alone. I would feel better about it with a pony and / or a steel 100 but I’ve done it before and will do it again if the reward seems worth the risk.