Deep diving 11 days after sustaining concussion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericg753

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back yesterday from our annual camping trip. Don't ask WHAT I was doing on the back of the RV :) let's just say I took a nasty spill and slammed the back of my head on a tree and landed on my @$$.

No bleeding, slight swelling thanks to my wife putting ice pack on my head. 2 days later, have been getting headaches, eyes feel scratchy (as if lacking sleep), neck and back feel stiff. Just got out of the ED an hour ago (I work at a hospital), doc said CT scan is negative but I am feeling post-concussion symptoms (feeling very lethargic, eyes tired, legs feel weak (not shaky or numb), back and neck hurt a little). Said will take 3 or 4 days to fully recover and to follow up with my PCP.

I told him about an upcoming dive weekend (anyone here been to Dutch Springs?), he said it should be okay. So now I turn to my fellow divers with the same question: any cause for concern? It will be 11 days since the fall, I would like to think symptoms will hopefully be gone by then. Curious if pressure change in deep dive (up to 80 feet) will affect me in any way?

To save you the trouble from DAN (bold face is mine)

The likelihood of post-traumatic convulsions diminishes over time, so divers should delay diving for at least three years following a severe head injury, one year following a moderate head injury and one month after a mild, uncomplicated head injury. The severity of a head injury is determined by a physician and is based on the length of post-traumatic amnesia — the time from the injury until the beginning of uninterrupted memory.

For some reason---& I have no idea what that reason is---I wouldn't touch that ie DIVING--with a 10 foot pole----------right now anyway......

Thanks everyone for your replies. I read DAN's article, as well as other posts with divers sustaining head injuries....going to hold off on the dives. Sucks but I'd rather not take any chances.At least my son will still be able to test for his OW cert! I can spend time with wife and daughter in the water park area. :)

I think that's wise. Post-concussive symptoms often involve problems with concentration and memory, which will likely get worse with narcosis. Wait until the symptoms completely resolve.

Just got back yesterday from our annual camping trip. Don't ask WHAT I was doing on the back of the RV ...

No worries. I'm sure someone will upload it to Youtube. :)

... have been getting headaches, eyes feel scratchy (as if lacking sleep), neck and back feel stiff. ... feeling very lethargic, eyes tired, legs feel weak (not shaky or numb), back and neck hurt a little ...

Sincerely hope you feel better soon.

Your story presents a couple of dilemmas to your fellow divers.

Imagine surfacing after a nice easy dive, but complaining of the symptoms quoted above. How could we rule out DCI?

If you left the surface and traveled to a narcotic depth, you might experience some temporary relief from the aches and pains. As you ascend and return to lower pressures, the pain could be expected to return as well.

Suppose you surfaced and said, truthfully, "As I came up, the CNS symptoms from the concussion felt like they were getting worse." What should your support team and friends do next?

Best wishes for a rapid recovery!

Back
Top Bottom