Deep hole in resevoir?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A local resevoir here near Fort Worth has a spot that has me puzzled. The main l;ake basin is about 50' at normal pool elevation. Last year I drifted over some boulders near the shore and the sonar indicated a depth of 90'. This isn't near the dam.
I contacted the lake authority, and they consulted the lake patrol, and nobody knows anything about it.

Anyone have any ideas? I am very tempted to see what's down there.

There is only one natural lake in Texas-Caddo. All other bodies of water are man made resevoirs.
This hole is among boulders the size of my truck or bigger at the bottom of a cliff, and probably fell from that cliff.
This hole being 40' deeper than the main basin is what has me curious. There is nothing else close to that depth in that lake.

That is posdible I guess. I am not sure if it was a quarry although most resevoirs were.
I forgot that this hole is only about 30' wide.
I need to get back out there with my brother in his boat. He has a Lowrance side scan sonar.
Tjst 30' width is going from memory and not absolutely reliable. I was busy at the time trying to keep the boat off the rocks after the motor died-primer bulb collapsed.

You might check with the county for historical records. Our Bell County museum had aerial photos of our two lakes before they were flooded.

I will try tjat. I contacted the lake authority and they didnt't have a clue what it was. I first contacted tje Corps of Engineers and they said it wasn't their lake and they had nothing on it b

Could it be a sink hole that has opened up? That is pretty common down here in Florida due to the karst geology. One recently opened up in a resevoir not far from me. I don't know about Texas geology though.

The part of Texas I'm in is black clay. Fortunately we don't have sinkholes.
My brother and I have been talking about exploring ot, but since there will probably be a lot of fishing line in it we might get a bigger group together.

Be careful if you go down that there is not any sort of current inflow. Could also be a flooded excavation - quarry, mill basement, etc.

Back
Top Bottom