Deep Sea Supply status, May 2019 edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To my recollection, I've not seen a DSS wing. The non-removable/repairable bladder would be a deal breaker for me as I'm a DIY sort of person. Other than that, what leads you to say the above? I too have Oxy and VDH wings and I'm impressed by the quality. I've never had a pinch flat. The replaceable compression fittings and seals are certainly a bonus, not to mention the fittings are not bonded to the bladder. However, I was given to understand the DSS wings also have replaceable fittings.

Cheers,

Couv
I had the LCD wing, zippered and good quality but the center hose location was a complete killer for me along with the F off attitude over his way being the only way. The “pinch flat paranoia” was part of the design, the long plate with bolt on weight plater was genius. I only dive freedom plates now, I have to work at adding weight to it and it’s not as elegant as DSS for that but I can make it work.

Can anyone explain the design choice of a center mounted corrugated hose?

is it/was it so that the connection to the bladder would more likely be the high point facilitating dumping air from the wing or is it/was it something else?

-Z

I use a center-mounted corrugated hose on a NX Ghost. No issues and works perfectly. Don't confuse a skills issue with a design issue.

I had the LCD wing, zippered and good quality but the center hose location was a complete killer for me along with the F off attitude over his way being the only way. The “pinch flat paranoia” was part of the design, the long plate with bolt on weight plater was genius. I only dive freedom plates now, I have to work at adding weight to it and it’s not as elegant as DSS for that but I can make it work.
I never saw so much pinch flat drama in my life.

I’m working on casting up a heavy block of lead that would go over the wing similar to the wedge but runs the span from top bolt to bottom bolt.
I don’t know how much weight yet but it will be substantial.
There’s also nothing stopping anybody from casting up weight bars and drilling holes in their regular any-brand doubles plate and attaching the weights. The DSS plate wasn’t really any different in shape from every other plate out there, he just had the plastic slot inserts. A Diverite plate is just about as flat. There’s also nothing stopping anybody from getting a hunk of 1/4” or even 3/8” stainless plate and cutting out their own doubles shaped plate. It wouldn’t have a channel but it wouldn’t need to, all you need are cam band slots and wings with roll control bars. The VDH plate is totally flat with no channel.
Sorry for the hijack on a DSS thread but I have to catch these the minute I see them or else I’ll forget.

Now back to your regularly scheduled show...

I never saw so much pinch flat drama in my life. I’ll kind of miss it, very entertaining!

I’m working on casting up a heavy block of lead that would go over the wing similar to the wedge but runs the span from top bolt to bottom bolt.
I don’t know how much weight yet but it will be substantial.
There’s also nothing stopping anybody from casting up weight bars and drilling holes in their regular any-brand doubles plate and attaching the weights. The DSS plate wasn’t really any different in shape from every other plate out there, he just had the plastic slot inserts. A Diverite plate is just about as flat. There’s also nothing stopping anybody from getting a hunk of 1/4” or even 3/8” stainless plate and cutting out their own doubles shaped plate. It wouldn’t have a channel but it wouldn’t need to, all you need are cam band slots and wings with roll control bars. The VDH plate is totally flat with no channel.
Sorry for the hijack on a DSS thread but I have to catch these the minute I see them or else I’ll forget.

Now back to your regularly scheduled show...
You should sell me your heavy FP to encourage the heavy wedge development. :crafty:

I use a center-mounted corrugated hose on a NX Ghost. No issues and works perfectly. Don't confuse a skills issue with a design issue.
Try a Kraken and see how it works. It’s a design that limits use, granted not an issue for most but for some useless.

Back
Top Bottom