Deep Sea Supply status, May 2019 edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should sell me your heavy FP to encourage the heavy wedge development. :crafty:
Show up to a North Coast dive someday and I’ll let you use it.
I’m going to set a policy that the only way to get one is to dive with me up on a Sonoma or Mendo County beach, or Monterey.

I use a center-mounted corrugated hose on a NX Ghost. No issues and works perfectly. Don't confuse a skills issue with a design issue.

Double hose unfriendly. Glad you are so perfect.... :shakehead:

Show up to a North Coast dive someday and I’ll let you use it.
I’m going to set a policy that the only way to get one is to dive with me up on a Sonoma or Mendo County beach, or Monterey.
Next Saturday, monterey

Center mounted corrugated hose is:
Double hose unfriendly.
...and why I sold my HOG wing. HOG has now come to their senses and moved the elbow to the correct position for single tank or double hose diving. However, the bonded elbow and dump valve fittings are undesirable.

Center mounted corrugated hose is:

...and why I sold my HOG wing. HOG has now come to their senses and moved the elbow to the correct position for single tank or double hose diving. However, the bonded elbow and dump valve fittings are undesirable.

Hmmm, did not know that the HOG fittings were bonded...just went to the garage to compare to my Dive Rite they seem similar....are you sure they are still bonding them? They both had a plastic flange type piece inside the bladder. Is there a way to tell for sure without pulling the wings off their plates and pulling the bladders out?

-Z

Can anyone explain the design choice of a center mounted corrugated hose?

is it/was it so that the connection to the bladder would more likely be the high point facilitating dumping air from the wing or is it/was it something else?

-Z

I think that must have been the purpose. My old Apex wing was like that. caught me out a few times at fist because I had been used to rolling a shoulder. That was of course before I used my kidney dump

The DSS wing was brilliant in many ways. In shopping others I wish they came with shorter inflators and could be taken off the plate in seconds. I wish the plates didn't let my harness slide around unless I use tri-glides to secure them. Tobin tried to solve the problems he had with other company's offerings. I appreciate the choices he made. I appreciate that he convinced me not to try to add features to it that made it more like the rig I was getting away from. None of that is where Tobin screwed up.

Tobin is abrasive and condescending AND generous with his time and sometimes a bit arrogant. If he was not abrasive and condescending more people would be defending the few weaknesses in his designs instead of exaggerating their impact. A few people couldn't get their wing repaired for free or had problems dealing with an old wing that he didn't want to repair and it became a mantra. Half a dozen people chime in over and over to talk about how crappy his products are which is clearly not the case. The number of times that someone has saved their dive trip by pulling their aquaseal or whatever goop they have out of their dive kit and repairing their wing on the fly because it has a zipper is not a big number.

His problem wasn't the decisions he made in his designs. His problem was that he never let someone else be in charge of customer relations, both on the phone and on the internet. He put a target on his own back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom