Deep Shadow-Randy Wayne White

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Just finished reading the latest book, Deep Shadow, in Randy Wayne White's "Doc Ford" series. Three divers enter the water, two become trapped in a cave system. Throw in sociopathic bad guys and a lizard (not the cute gekko from Geico) to confound the rescue and you have the makings of a great adventure novel. Ever watch one of those television shows or movies where you just want the bad guys to get it, they make you so angry? I got that same feeling reading the book. The character development is very good and the rechniques of moving the story between the rescuer and the victims really works well in this novel. While Clive Cussler's books have become very formulaic and two-dimensional over the last several iterations, White manages to avoid this trap while providing an edge of the seat page turner.

Thanks for posting your review. I only occasionally read RWW, but after reading your review I grabbed the book on my last trip to the library.

I've just started it and I'm hooked. Looking forward to reading the rest.

Thanks for the heads up. Love RRW! Nice to read an author who actually can write intelligently about diving, as he has done in several of his books. My company has an office on Sanibel, just down the street from Doc Fords (restaurant) and we frequently run into Mr. White sitting at the bar, pounding away on his laptop. Struck up a conversation with him one night, no clue who he was, just watching college hoops, having a beer and some steamed shrimp. Later a co-worker clued me in, I grabbed one of his books from my library and I've been hooked since! Have to check that my library has this one...

A great read. Suggest that if you enjoy this book and are going to continue reading RWW, you might want to pull a chronological book list and go in order as some characters continue to develop from book to book.

Like all the Clive Cussler books, the stories and scenario's are far-fetched but entertaining.

Carl Hiassen also writes books about South Florida. Some nautical themes picked up, but generally more murder/mysteries. Witty and sardonic sense of humor, also very entertaining.

A great read. Suggest that if you enjoy this book and are going to continue reading RWW, you might want to pull a chronological book list and go in order as some characters continue to develop from book to book.

Like all the Clive Cussler books, the stories and scenario's are far-fetched but entertaining.

Carl Hiassen also writes books about South Florida. Some nautical themes picked up, but generally more murder/mysteries. Witty and sardonic sense of humor, also very entertaining.

Funny you mention reading in chrono order as I just finished The Man Who Invented Florida a much earlier RWW. Got to meet some of the characters referenced in his later books.

You don't give Hiassen enough credit here! Some plot lines are so far-fetched they could be believable... Start with Skinny Dip, move onto Tourist Season, Lucky You, and Nature Girl - where a bi-polar kayak-ing trailer park girl takes a Telemarketer and his beach-bunny girlfriend on a wild tour of the everglades chased by her former employer who is in turn chased by her drug running ex-husband...and that is just the beginning!

CH can't write them fast enough for me, but he does have a new one due out July.

Back
Top Bottom