Deep Six DGX Streamlined package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenderson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been looking at the Deep Six DGX package and have a few questions.

Since I've only ever used the yoke system, should I worry about having to use the yoke converter for the majority of my dives? It says it comes with a DIN cover, would I have to take the converter off every time?

How hard will it be to get them serviced? My LDS will service some brands, but would they be able to do these or do I have to send them to DGX? If it's unlikely that the LDS can service them it I might have to think harder about what I'd like.

Anything else I should know about them? I've been reading the threads here and people seem to like them. It would be my first set of regs. I bought the wing set a month ago and like it.

yes, although i think you can contact DGX and request a yoke version.

servicing depends on what your LDS policy is for brands they aren't a dealer for.

you may want to consider the deep 6 signature package directly from deep 6 instead. you would then just mail them back to deep 6 for servicing.

Deep 6 Configurable Single Tank Package

I wouldn’t mind using a yoke converter on occasion, but I wouldn’t buy a DIN first stage if I intended to only use it with yoke tanks.

Check out the Deep 6 Scribble first stage. They only have it in stock in the yoke version now. You can send it back to them for servicing.

Deep 6 Scribble Series First Stage (Yoke)

I’ve got Deep 6 Signature 1st and a Scribble 1st. They’re both great. The only reason I went out and got the Signature is that I missed the downward facing LP port on turret 1st stages (I also have a HOG D3).

Bang for your buck...the Scribble is a great little 1st stage. Pair that with a couple Signature 2nds (would make servicing convenient).

yes, although i think you can contact DGX and request a yoke version.

servicing depends on what your LDS policy is for brands they aren't a dealer for.

you may want to consider the deep 6 signature package directly from deep 6 instead. you would then just mail them back to deep 6 for servicing.

I have looked at the Deep 6 Originals. I had thought about going with them, but they are a good $130+ more expensive, which isn't a huge problem, but I don't exactly know what I want in terms of length and colors right now. That was why I was looking at the DGX version that's already put together. I figured that in a few years if I decided I wanted longer hoses and such I could get those and have these as a backup/loaner set.

I need to call my LDS, I bought an older reg for my kids that they took no problem so I don't think they will have much of a problem with the DGX set if they can get the parts.

I have looked at the Deep 6 Originals. I had thought about going with them, but they are a good $130+ more expensive, which isn't a huge problem, but I don't exactly know what I want in terms of length and colors right now. That was why I was looking at the DGX version that's already put together. I figured that in a few years if I decided I wanted longer hoses and such I could get those and have these as a backup/loaner set.

I need to call my LDS, I bought an older reg for my kids that they took no problem so I don't think they will have much of a problem with the DGX set if they can get the parts.

if you are diving yoke 100 percent of the time getting din regulator and using yoke adaptor is not ideal but can work. The main disadvantage is that the regulator sticks out a little further and can be prone to hit the back of your head. If you are using din sometimes and yoke sometimes it is best to get din regulator.

on service parts DGX sells the.direct to you, they are listed on their website for sale.

servicing can be done through DGX, or sending them to deep6 directly. If you can find an LDS that will do it that is an option, just have to take the service kits with you. A final option is to learn to service yourself, deep 6 offers classes.

Consider 2 things..

1. If you buy directly from Deep 6 they inlude the 1st service & parts free on signature series.

2. Black Friday is near, and Deep 6 usually has great sales

Piggy backing on this. Thinking longer term, would this be a good base for a sidemount setup? It would mean I just need another DGX first stage, some short hose spgs and a long hose when I'm ready to make the jump.

scribble does not have 5th port which means it will have a bit more hose bending in doubles/SM (same as an apeks DS4)

the other 2 deep 6 options would be fine with the signature being a slightly nicer reg.

scribble does not have 5th port which means it will have a bit more hose bending in doubles/SM (same as an apeks DS4)

the other 2 deep 6 options would be fine with the signature being a slightly nicer reg.

Looks like the DGX D6 Streamline package does.

I did exactly that, and was very happy with my choice. I dived the "streamlined" setup (40-inch primary hose, routed under right arm) for awhile. After a year or so, I decided to try out the "longhose" setup (84-inch primary hose, routed under arm across chest, and 3/4 turn around the neck). I just had to buy the hose itself, which was $20 or $30, and now the short hose lives in my save-a-dive kit. I'm still diving this configuration today, and it works great.

The 40-inch hose has a little 90 degree swivel on the end, which is really nice for that hose routing, but not required for the longhose. I will say that the El Cheapo black-and-orange mouthpieces they come with totally suck (to ME, I'm sure someone will come along who likes them), and would recommend buying a pair of C-bite+ firm mouthpieces at $8 apiece. Maybe you can call DGX and ask that they just keep the orange ones to save you a few bucks.

As for servicing, either DGX or Deep6 will service your regs for you if you want -- I had them do my first stage after my rig fell over and it knocked something loose started leaking. It cost $50 or so through DGX, took about a week including shipping. Keep in mind that Deep6 has a philosophy of self-service, see Chris' blog post. And they sell the regulator service kits and offer support for learning how to do DIY service. At the very least, you'll want one each of the 1st stage and 2nd stage kits, just in case you are on a dive trip and need your regs serviced same-day by whatever LDS is available. 1st stage kits are $30, 2nd stage kits are $20: Service Kits - Parts

Best of luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom