Deep Stop on Dive over 100 ft? California Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IncreaseMyT

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok going diving tomorrow on the California wreck looking for some African Pompano. Will be going with a couple guys that have dove for 40 years and will ask them what they do but wanted to pose the question here as well.

I will be taking my pony bottle bottle and an extra reg attached to it so if something happened can still do my safety stop.

This will be my first dive going over 100 ft, its about 130 down to the CA wreck. Normally I keep the deep stop function off on my watch and was wondering if a deep stop is required or suggested at 130 feet?

I understand we will only have about 10 minutes of NDC time so I could probably do one regardless, but if I don't have to I want to consider saving my air for a shallower dive on the way in.

Thanks for reading.

The Current literature on decompression does not support deep stops.

Dudes not talking about doing deco. The deep stop he is referring to is the “recreational deep stop”.

Simple answer, it won’t hurt you to do a deep stop. The initial reason that agencies started teaching recreational deep stops is that many divers are still ascending too damn fast. The deep stop and the safety stop for recreational divers is a tool to limit the ascent rate average.

A deep stop is definitely not going to hurt anything and if you have the air for a 2-3 minute stop why not? At the same time current research shows it's not necessary. I would do what makes you and the group more comfortable. I plan on one if I go below 80 feet and generally stop around 50ft for 2 minutes. That's how I was taught but I dive with many people that don't plan one. Whatever you decide it's a great thing to discuss with your dive buddy so your on the same page.

A deep stop is definitely not going to hurt anything and if you have the air for a 2-3 minute stop why not? At the same time current research shows it's not necessary. I would do what makes you and the group more comfortable. I plan on one if I go below 80 feet and generally stop around 50ft for 2 minutes. That's how I was taught but I dive with many people that don't plan one. Whatever you decide it's a great thing to discuss with your dive buddy so your on the same page.

Now that tomfcrist explained the ascent rate and why they started doing rec deep stops it makes much more sense to me. I agree its only 1:30 on my watch so why not.

I asked because we are going to be spearfishing and you pretty much have to plan it like you are diving solo cause the vis isn't always great and its super easy to lose your buddies, and I tend to suck air faster so I am usually on my own on the way back to the boat.

The only reason I was hesitant to even do it is because you will still see fish at that depth I hear and it will be hard to not shoot one if I see something I really like :) I only have 2 tanks for tomorrow so trying to conserve. 133's though so might be able to get in 4-5 dives if I ration it correctly.

It def makes more sense now and appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
because you will still see fish at that depth I hear and it will be hard to not shoot one if I see something I really like

Horsecrap. You may see fish at that depth, but if you lack the self control to “not” shoot a fish, you shouldn’t have a speargun. I say the same thing to new deer hunters.

Horsecrap. You may see fish at that depth, but if you lack the self control to “not” shoot a fish, you shouldn’t have a speargun. I say the same thing to new deer hunters.

Sorry buddy if I see an African Pompano there I am letting it fly. Nothing wrong with shooting a fish on a stop, just stay at the correct depth. I do it at the 20 ft stop all the time.

Or in your case, as an aware diver, you could just slow down your ascent rate, inasmuch as tomchrist pointed out that was the only purpose for the recreational deep stops in the first place.

Last edited:
Or in your case, as an aware driver, you could just slow down your ascent rate, inasmuch as tomchrist pointed out that was the only purpose for the recreational deep stops in the first place.

Thats what I was thinking after his post, I was planning on zig zag ascent while searching at the same time. Great idea.

Also tomfcrist I see my post came off as if I see any fish at that depth I will shoot it, thats my fault for not clarifying. I am super particular about what I will shoot, I have fished my whole life and caught everything you can imagine, thats why I like spearfishing because I can pick exactly what I want. I don't shoot a ton a fish, I just meant that if I saw something I had been looking for I would shoot it, and if I do I am gonna waste a lot more air.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom