Deep Stop on Dive over 100 ft? California Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In NDL diving, and those just on the edge of deco, they do not have any slow tissue involvement. They simply do not stay in the water long enough to accumulate any amount of slow tissue gas that matters. An NDL diver who suffers injury, is at the mercy of fast tissue problems. Even the multi-dive NDL profiles, the slow tissues still do not reach supersaturation levels. So trying to use the slow tissue reason on NDL divers, is nonsense. Just thought I should clear that up.

So you think deep stops for NDL diving are a good thing?

For what it’s worth, there is also ample evidence that doing bounce dives following deep dives (either in deco or on the edge of NDL) is unwise.

I did not know that and appreciate the info. I am not sure it would translate directly to my scenario though, if we do a 90 foot dive it will be at least 2 hours before we get to 35 foot. Where I am at for every nautical mile we get about a 2 foot depth change. So its a long boat ride back to the shallow ledges and my tissue loading bar graph is always back down to the lowest bar by then.

But that is good info to know for when we are diving in Marathon.

has a high consumption rate.

I do consume a lot of air. More than anyone on the boat usually. The first 3 or 4 dives it was real bad, and has gotten a lot better right after that when I became much more relaxed. I work on it and concentrate a lot, but sometimes when I shoot a bigger fish and get drug around the wreck I suck some air :)

But another thing worth noting, I am also always the biggest guy on the boat at 6'4 290. So I think a lot of it has to do with I just consume a lot of air.

IncreaseMyT, are you still at <24 dives?

If you count my open water and the first 3 dives I did here at home, I am at 26.

My first 3 dives were in the fall and the vis was TERRIBLE. I dropped down on the R tower and got lost immediately.

So I took the winter off to concentrate on navigation and went back at it this spring. Not to mention trying to find a wet suit that fits me has been quite a task.

Last edited:
I think some of the confusion in this thread about the pony bottle is that I intended to use it for a safety stop and thats not the case. When spearfishing here where I am at there is no such thing as buddy diving. People shoot fish and if you look away for 1 second you may not see them again for a while, or maybe even for the whole dive. Because of the visibility going diving without spearfishing is not something anyone does. Most of the time its a wreck and there isn't much left of it.

I use the pony bottle as my buddy. I strap it to my main tank and it has its own first and second stage. I have yet to use it, but its always there if I need it. The pony bottle is never part of the dive plan, but you just never know whats gonna happen and I was pointing out that it is there if I need it. If I blow an O ring at 130 foot I will be happy I have it. I am actually going to DIN this week my new reg will be in.

Which actually brings me to another question, I wanted the zeagle F8, even had the shop order it for me. My DM wasn't there that day and called me on Friday. He told me you can over breathe a diaphragm reg when exerting yourself chasing a fish or what not, and that I should be using a piston 1st stage when spearfishing like I am. So I took his advice and switched to the Atomic B2

Last edited:
So you think deep stops for NDL diving are a good thing?

In the NDL dive sphere, deeper (2 min mid point) stops are lowering dive supersaturation stress, typically by about 12%. But that is about the extent of it, and staying longer does not improve on this. This quick mid point stop does not affect slow tissues.

An extra minute or two in the middle of ascent is a simple and cheap way to lower the stresses that leads to injury. And provided one has enough air to cover it (staying within proper reserves), then why not?

But the danger is over doing them, or arbitrary made up ones, that do not have a math model that is monitoring the progress ( like the concern the scientists expressed in that DAN paper mentioned above). When too much arbitrary time is added, it pushes the diver into deco time, which he may not be prepared for.

as long as you dont do a 20min NEDU deep stop, you should be fine.

Interesting read.

You need to remember that deep stops came from Richard Pyle. All his diving was very deep (100m), decompression diving. They where collecting live fish samples.
Originally he noticed that on dives where they paused; midway between the max depth and the first compulsory stop, (to puncture the fish swim bladders (to stop the fish exploding)), the dive team felt less fatigued at the end of the dive.
As a result, they started adding a 'deep stop' of between a minute or 2 minutes on each dive.

This was adopted by a lot of technical divers in the 90's.
When I dived OC, I always set a deep stop at the gas switch depth. i.e on ascending from a 50m dive, I would have a 2 minute stop at around 36m (115 foot) to switch to my travel mix (32%). This allowed me to ensure I was on track for the decompression profile, had time to deal with any issues / problems and was fully switched on for the decompression profile, and was on the right plan for the dive.
In those days all accelerated, or trimix plans where manually generated prior to getting in the water. So we generally carried a few plans. A bounce dive - in case we aborted. The preferred plan, potentially an extended plan. And then gas loss plans, included the KYAGB plan.

So deep stops where never intended for No Stop diving.
As has been said, modern thinking has moved away from deep stops (or Pyle Stops).
However, if you look at a lot of team diving, especially those groups who confirm each diver has the correct gas before the switch (OC), then they are effectively putting a 1 minute stop in at the switch depth (AKA a Pyle Stop).

Gareth

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom