Deep Stops Increases DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Min Deco uses Air and is part of GUE standards for Rec.
You're not supposed to use Minimum Deco with Air down to 170'/51m: Once again, the NEDU Study with regards to correct implementation of Ratio Deco/Min Deco with standard Helium bottom mixes does not apply. . .

You're not supposed to use Minimum Deco with Air down to 170'/51m: Once again, the NEDU Study with regards to correct implementation of Ratio Deco with standard Helium bottom mixes does not apply. . .

Not even supposed to use minimum deco with air down to 50' for that matter :)

A separate question. Dive computers have the feature to turn on the Deep Stop mode and set it for 1 or 2 minutes. I assume that these are not arbitrary deep stops but built into their decompression algorithm. Given this, what is the group's recommendation? Turn on deep stop in the dive computer or turn it off?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/technical-diving-specialties/496043-people-backing-away-vpm.html

I'm not sure which computer you're talking about. Most tech computers have you set a vpm conservatism or gradient factors (or both). I think what you're describing is more of a Pyle stop. My Mares Puck has the option for "a" deep stop, and uses a version of RGBM.

The usual method for figuring out something like this is to try it and see how you feel after. If you feel worse then don't do it, better then keep it up, no change then it's up to you.

Min Deco uses Air and is part of GUE standards for Rec.

What does "min deco" aka "no deco" have to do with this at all? The NEDU study had hours and hours of air only deco (and those poor subjects were freezing too). no helium, no gas switches, no accelerated deco, not even an increasing fO2 with ascent on a CCR.

They were deliberately trying to have a measurable bend rate so they could compare profiles, and they were not recreational profiles at all. Moving a minute from 20ft to 30ft is so far away from the NEDU study protocol and conclusions its obvious you haven't read it...

Again:

Look at the Bottom Mix Gas used in the NEDU Study (essentially Deep Air):

Why do you think this will affect Deep Stops in Ratio Deco? Correct application requires the use of standard Helium mixes with Eanx50 & O2 deco for this particular depth: IOW, the study's parameters and conclusion above does not apply. . .

It has already affected the way deep stops are taught. The ascent rate (deep stops) they teach early in the ascent is different than it used to be

of course I have no idea what it'd teaches. Or what their process is for changing it

It has already affected the way deep stops are taught. The ascent rate (deep stops) they teach early in the ascent is different than it used to be

of course I have no idea what it'd teaches. Or what their process is for changing it
Not as a direct reaction or influence of the present NEDU Study (In my opinion, GUE changed to an ascent rate tactic over a discrete "Deep Stop" years before the NEDU Study was published).

UTD's Ratio Deco/Min Deco implementation still uses discrete stops based on the WKPP Deep Stop Table. . .

Not as a direct reaction or influence of the present NEDU Study (In my opinion, GUE changed to an ascent rate tactic over a discrete "Deep Stop" years before the NEDU Study was published).

UTD's Ratio Deco/Min Deco implementation still uses discrete stops based on the WKPP Deep Stop Table. . .

jWua3NG.jpg

UTD still cites the original WKPP Table in their current implementation of Deep Stops in Ratio Deco.

btw, AG similarly claims that the NEDU paradigm has no bearing on Deep Stops for all the same reasons mentioned above (i.e. the exclusive & sole use of Air for bottom mix and decompression gas).

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom