Deep Stops Increases DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been moving my low gradient factors higher and higher, and totally moved away from VPM based on personal recommendations from some decompression scientist friends of mine.

Out of curiosity, what GFs do you currently run?

And I would agree with moving away from VPM. It has been proven inadequate time and time again.

Either way nobody in their right mind is doing pure haldanian deco these days. If they are, they are doing it in a habitat.

Out of curiosity, what GFs do you currently run?

And I would agree with moving away from VPM. It has been proven inadequate time and time again.

Either way nobody in their right mind is doing pure haldanian deco these days. If they are, they are doing it in a habitat.
take your typical bottom times and run it with 20/85 and then 30/70 etc. on MOST dives it doesn't amount to much difference at all

on longer dives like what AJ is doing, then yea. it can move the needle some

GL low of 30 (where I'm currently leaning) vs GF low of 20 seems to move the 1st stop up 10-20ft, which is 10-20ft shallower than VPM+2, and QUITE shallower than anything Kev is apparently doing. I'm interested in playing with even higher GF lows, too, but my current strategy seems to be working a-ok.

Regardless, its hard to really compare apples to apples.

On a related note, I'm stating Tec in a couple of weeks. It sounds like people are moving away from VPM, so I guess I shouldn't bother to get the VPM upgrade on my Petrel?

anyone that thinks kevrumbo has ANY credibility when it comes to decompression is making a big mistake.
is ANYONE surprised that someone defending this UTD nonsense has been bent so often? it's silly to even bother debating him.

the guy who authored that NEDU study is a good friend and dive buddy, and he really dials back the deep stops. (as has GUE in their classes as a result of studies like this one)

Kev, am I reading this right?

youre routinely getting bent doing your deep stops schedule. Your solution is to extend the oxygen (shallow) stop to compensate. But you're going to sit there and try and defend the deep stop schedule?

Am I having a stroke?

Seriously? Four hits and you're still using it?

Whatever magic made RD work for you before doesn't work now.

I'd be changing to something more predictable and controllable (and adjustable).

flots.
Because nobody else other than the Dive Guides at Truk Lagoon are doing years of consecutive day/continuous month-long Deep Air Deco Profiles on accelerated 50% and 100% O2 (and they are using dive computers LV X1, DR Nitek Q, and Suunto Vytecs with VPM, Buhlmann GF's and RGBM algorithms --and even they are getting "niggles"). I choose to stick with what I know now, and that's RD with DeepStops and extended O2 Profiles to eliminate slow-tissue residual N2.

Y'all don't have the authority or even the real world experience to "credibly" comment or even admonish anyone actually doing these extreme Air Bottom Mix Deco Profiles.

Last edited:
On a related note, I'm stating Tec in a couple of weeks. It sounds like people are moving away from VPM, so I guess I shouldn't bother to get the VPM upgrade on my Petrel?

Depends on who you're diving with and what they run. Right now I think it's about $60 for the unlock given the exchange rate, so I'd at least consider it if there's any chance you might want it in the future.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2014 at 12:40 PM ----------

these extreme Air Bottom Mix Deco Profiles.

Let's not oversell the "extremeness" of dives like 50 min on air at 190' in tropical waters. It's not that deep (even for air) and it's not that frigging long a BT.

I don't want any experience doing that nonsense, thanks.

"Hey! Watch this!" whatcouldpossiblygowrong(tm) :cool:

There are any number of things that I used to do, that don't work well for me anymore, so I don't do them.

You can bet your ass that if I got bent 4 times I'd be making major changes, regardless of what all the other "cool kids" are doing.

Because nobody else other than the Dive Guides at Truk Lagoon are doing years of consecutive day/continuous month-long Deep Air Deco Profiles on accelerated 50% and 100% O2 (and they are using dive computers LV X1, DR Nitek Q, and Suunto Vytecs with VPM, Buhlmann GF's and RGBM algorithms --and even they are getting "niggles"). I choose to stick with what I know now, and that's RD with DeepStops and extended O2 Profiles to eliminate the problems stemming from the fact that my ratio deco schedules DO NOT WORK.

Y'all don't have even the real world experience to "credibly" comment or even admonish anyone actually doing these extreme Air Bottom Mix Deco Profiles.

i went ahead and fixed that for you.

as far as my experience on deep air you're right. i dont do stupid ****.

anyone that thinks kevrumbo has ANY credibility when it comes to decompression is making a big mistake.
is ANYONE surprised that someone defending this UTD nonsense has been bent so often? it's silly to even bother debating him.

the guy who authored that NEDU study is a good friend and dive buddy, and he really dials back the deep stops. (as has GUE in their classes as a result of studies like this one)

Kev, am I reading this right?

youre routinely getting bent doing your deep stops schedule. Your solution is to extend the oxygen (shallow) stop to compensate. But you're going to sit there and try and defend the deep stop schedule?

Am I having a stroke?

Depends on who you're diving with and what they run. Right now I think it's about $60 for the unlock given the exchange rate, so I'd at least consider it if there's any chance you might want it in the future.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2014 at 12:40 PM ----------

Let's not oversell the "extremeness" of dives like 50 min on air at 190' in tropical waters. It's not that deep (even for air) and it's not that frigging long a BT.

I don't want any experience doing that nonsense, thanks.

"Hey! Watch this!" whatcouldpossiblygowrong(tm) :cool:

There are any number of things that I used to do, that don't work well for me anymore, so I don't do them.

You can bet your ass that if I got bent 4 times I'd be making major changes, regardless of what all the other "cool kids" are doing.

i went ahead and fixed that for you.

as far as my experience on deep air you're right. i dont do stupid ****.
Good so don't "pontificate" on something y'all absolutely know nothing about.

You aren't doing these dives consecutively like the Truk Dive Guides over a month's time (and myself on Ratio Deco with non-standard Deep Air since 2007) --so wtf do you all know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom