Deep Stops Recreational Divers

Do you conduct a deep stop when you are diving within the recreational limits; If so, at what depth?

• No, I do not conduct deep stops

Votes: 127 86.4%
  • Yes, half my maximum depth

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Yes, half my maximum pressure

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shurite7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
There has been a lot of chatter about deep stops in technical diving. Recently BoulderJohn posted an article that he wrote about deep stops.

Back when I took tech, early 2000s, I learned about the Pyle stops and Weinke's RGBM deep stop theory. Over the years I've listened to people claim the deep stop in recreational diving should be conducted at half the depth. Another group (this is what I learned) claims it should be at half the pressure. For example, a diver going to 100' / 30m, salt water, will conduct the deep stop at 50' / 15.5m for half the depth; or, 33' / 10m for half pressure.

I am curious as to how many recreational divers conduct deep stops and if so at what depth. To find out, within the limitations of those who read this forum, I decided to post a poll.

Not me. By the time I got to doing any sort of (mandatory) deco diving, deep stops had already been debunked.

Some of my computers like to add an option stop of a minute or two at depth. Maybe you should add “following my computer” as an option.

My computers add an option for a PDIS (G2, and Luna) I look at it as advisory and generally would ignore it but I can't convince my wife that optional is optional so I stick around with her like a buddy is supposed to.

Not so much "stops" as emphasizing a slow rate of ascent.
100 ft to safety stop depth should be taking 3 mins at least.
Too many recreational divers "rush" to 15 ft, do 3 mins and then "rush" to the surface.

+1 for a slow ascent, particularly the last 5m post safety stop, but that's partly to watch out for boat traffic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom