Deep Thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spencermm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The internet wasn't prevelent until after I graduated college. I remember wondering early on what the sociology books would say of the impact of the net in say 20-30 years. The impact has obviously been grand.
I like history, cooking(especially BBQ and Cajun) and a host of other things. Various message boards, like this one, on various topics have made my learning curve go through the roof.
I've only been coming here maybe 2 weeks and I'm thinking I've already learned things that have probably saved me money, and I've learned things to help promote my safety.
Anyways, I'm rambling.
Thanks for all the help folks,
Spencer

You're welcome. I feel the same way...I even worked out of my home as a remote engineer for almost 8 years, with the bulk of my 'customer' and internal contact on the internet (even more than via phone). Of course, there's downsides to such easily accessible information:

Have you noticed if there's a power outage in a storm, your first habit is "let's check the internet to see the local radar image on my favorite weather site?....oh, DAMN!" Used to be I'd just make myself feel like an idiot by automatically trying the light switch in every new room I entered, even after the LAST one didn't work, while wandering thru the dark house trying to remember where I left a flashlight or candle and matches. If I had the same mental block about my octo as I do about backup light off the grid, I'd probably be a dead man. :) These days without the internet I'm helpless...I can't map, can't check weather, or email, or get to my addy book to dial any numbers not stored in my cellphone, etc. Does that make me an addict? (Twitch, scratch, scratch, bite nails...)

Also, you gotta be careful about the anonymous factor. Not just because of 'stranger danger' like you see Dateline harping about all the time, but because any opinionated asshat with a computer and a connection can sign up to any board and spout nonsense. (Yes, I probably resemble that remark.) Fortunately on forums like this there is enough concentration of experience and knowledge that dumb posts get shouted down pretty fast, so as long as you don't take the first word as the last word, you're golden. :D But a cliquish mentality can pervade even an otherwise helpful board. (Deliberately NOT going further with that comment... :wink: )

I agree. I have learned alot, laughed alot, argued alot, gotten pissed alot, gotten pissed on alot:). It has been a great journey so far...

I think in order to really appreciate the flow of information that comes from the internet, you must have been exposed to life before it. Even having participated heavily in the days of the BBS, I could never have imagined where the internet would take us.

Lol

If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Deep thoughts by Jack Handy,.

Back
Top Bottom