Deep6 Fin questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am about to buy a new fins, my initial choice was Scubapro Jetfins and now that I read the previous review...

Will this fins be adequate for Cave and Wreck diving?

These fins are more than adequate for cave and wreck diving. In fact, my buddy was on a charter this past weekend that dives deeper wrecks every weekend and after trying them out, all four crew members are now ordering the deep 6 fins.

Would they be the perfect fin if you aren't foot heavy? Maybe not, but they are still a great fin.

The fins arrived!

Unfortunately the foot pocket on the Deep6 XL's are too small and are going to have to go back. They are slightly larger than the foot pocket on the scubapro jet fins, but smaller than the foot pocket on both the DiveRite XT and Mares X-Stream fins.

I'm kind of sad that the XXL's don't come in Deep6 orange.

I guess now I get to test out the return policy of Deep6. Hopefully I can just order a new pair, and send these back for a refund so that I won't have to wait as long.

The fins arrived!

Unfortunately the foot pocket on the Deep6 XL's are too small and are going to have to go back. They are slightly larger than the foot pocket on the scubapro jet fins, but smaller than the foot pocket on both the DiveRite XT and Mares X-Stream fins.

I'm kind of sad that the XXL's don't come in Deep6 orange.

I guess now I get to test out the return policy of Deep6. Hopefully I can just order a new pair, and send these back for a refund so that I won't have to wait as long.
What is your foot size and what kind of sole do you have on your dive boots?

What is your foot size and what kind of sole do you have on your dive boots?

I normally wear asics in men's 13. I've had 3 pairs of these, before the asics I had some size 14 nike shoes.
I wear scubapro delta short 5 booties in XL. They do have a rubber bottom, but it's very flexible.

I can feel my big toe making contact with the front of the foot pocket in the Deep6 fins. After sitting in a chair with the fins on for about 5 minutes, my foot starts to hurt on the bottom (arch area). Exactly the same problem I had with scubapro jet fins, except less pronounced - the jets were excruciating after about 5 minutes.

I took a ruler and measured from the front of the foot pocket to the spring strap on both the Diverite XT's and the Deep6 eddy fins. The Deep6 are 1/2 inch longer inside! When I put on the diverite fins, my toes do not touch the front of the fin. Instead, it appears my feet are filling the foot pocket and are stopping due to friction on the top and bottom of the pocket. The bottom of the fin on the diverites extends beyond the spring strap where it does not on the Deep6. It's 9 1/2 inches from front of the pocket to the end of the deep6. It's 10 1/2 inches from the front of the pocket to the end of the Diverite.

Both the diverite and deep6 fins are rounded on the top.

I sure wish an LDS around here had Deep6 fins. According to their website, the closest store to me is in High Springs.

Right Diverite:
Top:
th_20170501_152640_zpsqaqiwffy.jpg

Side:
th_20170501_152617_zpsy4zexmgw.jpg

Right Deep6:
Top:
th_20170501_152735_zpshl9umvj5.jpg

Side:
th_20170501_152748_zpsmpnhasxh.jpg

My fins came in today. I think USPS used the box as a football...lol. Foot pocket is stiff, but there's plenty of room and has a good shape. Fins really do slide right on, don't have to fight the foot pocket at all. I don't dive dry, but I think drysuit boots would fit just fine. Really like the spring strap. The fins are a little slick, but that's been documented it's just the mold release and will come off. Can't wait to dive them on Sunday. Hopefully I get the chance, the fan has been blowing constant for 2.5 weeks.

Unfortunately the foot pocket on the Deep6 XL's are too small

I can feel my big toe making contact with the front of the foot pocket in the Deep6 fins.

I took a ruler and measured from the front of the foot pocket to the spring strap on both the Diverite XT's and the Deep6 eddy fins. The Deep6 are 1/2 inch longer inside! When I put on the diverite fins, my toes do not touch the front of the fin.

So, is the Deep6 foot pocket too small? Or is it too big, letting your foot slide too far forward?

So, is the Deep6 foot pocket too small? Or is it too big, letting your foot slide too far forward?
Well.. that question is exactly why I posted all the details. I'm not sure of the answer, and I'm hoping for some input since it's a $100 gamble either way. Front to back, it's too small. On the other fins, my toes don't hit the front because the sides of the foot pocket are smaller, stopping my foot before the toes hit. So... I don't know the answer :(

I wish deep6 dealers weren't so rare.

...I wish deep6 dealers weren't so rare.

Deep6 is a direct to consumer manufacturer. Let Chris know the issue. They are going to be getting ready for the Long Beach show this week so I would expect that by Thursday, they will be travelling.

I'm thinking that the foot pocket opening is allowing your bootie to slide farther forward than your other fins typically allow you to sit. The toe box is roomy on the Deep 6 Eddy fins.

Well.. that question is exactly why I posted all the details. I'm not sure of the answer, and I'm hoping for some input since it's a $100 gamble either way. Front to back, it's too small. On the other fins, my toes don't hit the front because the sides of the foot pocket are smaller, stopping my foot before the toes hit. So... I don't know the answer :(

I wish deep6 dealers weren't so rare.

Maybe you should find some place local and try some different boots. You might just need a boot that is a little taller/thicker or wider. New boots might be cheaper than the round trips of shipping. And you end up with new boots! :wink:

It kinda sucks how these things works. You can't just buy fins based on your foot size. You have to get all the stars to line up so that your boot fits your foot well and the outside of your boot fits your fin well. Somebody should come up with some kind of boot exterior sizing guide and get the industry to adopt it. Then fins can be sold based on known boot exterior sizing info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom