Deep6 reg breathing wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regarding D6G, I’m stoked to take the service course and entirely confident they’d help me six time zones away over a satellite phone.

IIR, you did a tech course with @LandonL. That being the case, you already know you'll be getting great instruction. My buddy and I recently took the course from him. He was patient and thorough and the class was just fun! Chris showed up on the last day of the class and he added some additional insight into regulator design. Given the quality of instruction we got, it felt like a serious bargain!

Well, not quite the same thing, and telephonic troubleshooting is a long way from being told to mess with gear and go dive it and see. Removing a faceplate and checking the diaphragm is something that ANY diver should be able to do, in fact I teach my students that as part of pre-trip inspections, that’s why the faceplates turn off easily. Hell, I have fixed one underwater that was breathing wet (Diverite but same deal).

Messing with first stages is a different kettle of fish, though.

I also do a lot of telephonic/Zoom CCR troubleshooting since if you think a reg is easy to ship, try a full CCR. To a different continent, usually.

Rain Pilot,

I fully understand, but, To me instruction is instruction, regardless of how simple, or how complicated, and mistakes in interpretation/execution can still be made.

I wouldn't do it, nor would I recommend anyone else do.

Sometime, the best of intention, ends up having the worst outcome.

If I had an on-line business, and had a call from a purchaser, whom I've never met, and know nothing about, I wouldn't be giving that customer any telephone instruction. Who knows, you may be conversing with someone who has mental health issues. It's a very slippery slope!

Products leaving a manufacturing facility are supposed to perform as advertised/intended. If they don't, they should go back, period.

But, having said that, far be it from me to tell you or anyone else what to do.

I'm only expressing an opinion.

Rose.

IIR, you did a tech course with @LandonL. That being the case, you already know you'll be getting great instruction. My buddy and I recently took the course from him. He was patient and thorough and the class was just fun! Chris showed up on the last day of the class and he added some additional insight into regulator design. Given the quality of instruction we got, it felt like a serious bargain!
Was the course in person or online? I can't find any information on such a course.

It was in-person. We did the course with Landon at his shop, AQUI watersports, in Ft. Lauderdale. We combined the course with a few days of great diving that S. Florida offers.

Was the course in person or online? I can't find any information on such a course.
I can ping Landon to see if Bill and/or Chris would provide a virtual one.

If I had an on-line business, and had a call from a purchaser, whom I've never met, and know nothing about, I wouldn't be giving that customer any telephone instruction. Who knows, you may be conversing with someone who has mental health issues. It's a very slippery slope!

I was not in an online business, however telephone diagnosis and and repair was done on a regular basis, as it could resolve a customer's issue much faster than anyone could arrive on site. In business time is money, so if my call could have their equipment running sooner it was better. I suppose that since in this case is not a business.

Products leaving a manufacturing facility are supposed to perform as advertised/intended. If they don't, they should go back, period.

There is no one arguing this point, however if a quick call can resolve the issue, I for one would rather have that call than wait for a week(s) to send a reg back and forth.

As an aside, when on the phone it was easy to assess the abilities of the client to make the adjustments that were necessary. More than once I changed the conversation from adjusting the machine to when I would be able to arrive on site. No one was ever happy that it would take longer.

I was not in an online business, however telephone diagnosis and and repair was done on a regular basis, as it could resolve a customer's issue much faster than anyone could arrive on site. In business time is money, so if my call could have their equipment running sooner it was better. I suppose that since in this case is not a business.

There is no one arguing this point, however if a quick call can resolve the issue, I for one would rather have that call than wait for a week(s) to send a reg back and forth.

As an aside, when on the phone it was easy to assess the abilities of the client to make the adjustments that were necessary. More than once I changed the conversation from adjusting the machine to when I would be able to arrive on site. No one was ever happy that it would take longer.

Hi Bob,

I agree in principle, but, you shouldn't have to find out with a mouth full of sea water that your new regs are not functioning as they should.

Especially if these new/yet untried regs are in your luggage, and you're flying to the other side of the world to dive them for the first time.

There is a system defect within the manufacturing facility that is either absent, or not functioning as it should.

DGX sells a D6 variant, when buying a complete reg system from DGX, the set is balanced and fully tuned. If you buy individual components from DGX, you are advised that proper set up may be required.

I have no idea what D6 is doing under the same circumstances, but what ever it is, it appears to be ''after the fact'', which should not be the case.

It's fine to say, when I called, they responded. How many of these calls should not have been necessary in the first place.

Like me having to call the auto manufacturer, to tell them I'm in the middle of a funeral, and my brand new hearse is leaking buckets all over the road.

Rose

Hi Bob,

I agree in principle, but, you shouldn't have to find out with a mouth full of sea water that your new regs are not functioning as they should.

Especially if these new/yet untried regs are in your luggage, and you're flying to the other side of the world to dive them for the first time.

There is a system defect within the manufacturing facility that is either absent, or not functioning as it should.

DGX sells a D6 variant, when buying a complete reg system from DGX, the set is balanced and fully tuned. If you buy individual components from DGX, you are advised that proper set up may be required.

I have no idea what D6 is doing under the same circumstances, but what ever it is, it appears to be ''after the fact'', which should not be the case.

It's fine to say, when I called, they responded. How many of these calls should not have been necessary in the first place.

Like me having to call the auto manufacturer, to tell them I'm in the middle of a funeral, and my brand new hearse is leaking buckets all over the road.

Rose

Rose, your viewpoint is a totally valid one, but there's also a large flip side of the equation. For me, personally, I have experienced the "just send it in and we will look" approach as well as what Deep 6 does and I am much happier with their approach. The joy of the free market is the ability to vote with one's wallet, I am confident that there will be folks reading this thread who will NOT buy from Deep6 because they have similar feelings to you, and I am just as confident that there will be others who will be looking for exactly this kind of manufacturer accessibility and flexibility.

The best part is, both groups are totally correct, for themselves. Like a dive, any diver should be able to thumb a brand or manufacturer if they don't feel comfortable.

I have seen so many times that racing car eg. F1 could not even leave the starting grid. What happened? Can't they even take care of 1 or 2 cars?
I would rather talk to someone across the Pacific first, given the calling rate is so dirt cheap.

Seems to me that any conversation from a Deep 6 representative should have included, ''I'll send you a postage paid label, get your problem regulators boxed up, and get them back to Deep 6 ASAP''.

The last thing any professional should be doing is providing professional instruction to a lay-person over the phone.

Further, from reading this post, there would appear to be a part (thrust washer) that was incorporated in a later revision, that was not available to the OP.

Not much a professional can do to instruct a lay-person over the phone if a critical revision component is missing.

Manufacturer inspection/attention/set-up/bench test with the proper equipment, is the only solution.

Rose

Ha ha ha ha ha. Magnificent!

Back
Top Bottom