Deep6 Regs v Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikadoWu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I have sent a lot of people comparing this regulators to Hogs, but no one comparing them to Atomic yet. Can anyone pass on some thoughts?

I love my Atomics, but with 7 sets, rebuilding gets expensive.

They compare them to Hogs because they are built by the same supplier, use the same kits. I own Hogs, Deep 6, Oceanics, Zeagles and Atomics. My Atomics are near bullet proof and the finish is WOW. I think the Deep 6 regs have a better finish than the Hogs, have even been promised so, but I haven't had them long enough to make that determination. My biggest drawback with the Deep Sixes, is that they don't do left/right second stages for easy sidemounting. I'll keep with my Dive Rites for that.

They have been compared to scubapro, my MK 25's now stay in the shop and deep 6 goes diving, even took them on a Thailand dive trip last month.

You're using the wrong technician to rebuild your regs. But, if you need to sell them, I'm your man.
I have 30 sets. I rebuild them when necessary. My main pairs get rebuilt every 3 or so years, about 500 dives. My deco regs get rebuilt now and again. My rentals every 2 years, about 50 dives.

They're not as intuitive as other regs, but there's a power point out there that makes them easy enough to rebuild.

Atomic Aquatics Repair Manual
I meant the price. If it's too expensive, he's using the wrong tech. Or maybe not. See HOG/EDGE/Deep 6 regs I give away and buy new. Actually Chris gives them to me because I abuse the heck out of them, so I've never needed to rebuild one. My $1400 Atomics get slightly different treatment.

I meant the price. If it's too expensive, he's using the wrong tech.
d1xYyGA.png

Yeah, I get that... but I rebuild my own regs not because I'm cheap, but because I want them done right. I might be the only one in the Keys OK'ed to teach the Hog class. They just aren't that hard to rebuild.

They compare them to Hogs because they are built by the same supplier, use the same kits. I own Hogs, Deep 6, Oceanics, Zeagles and Atomics. My Atomics are near bullet proof and the finish is WOW. I think the Deep 6 regs have a better finish than the Hogs, have even been promised so, but I haven't had them long enough to make that determination. My biggest drawback with the Deep Sixes, is that they don't do left/right second stages for easy sidemounting. I'll keep with my Dive Rites for that.
So what you are saying is, use the Atomic and Shut up. Got it. :)

Atomics are the best piston regulators and Deep 6 are among the best diaphragms. Since I have a preference for diaphragms I would buy Deep 6 over Atomics.

I have 3 Atomic M1s. I used to use them as my sidemount + deco regs. After diving Deep 6 regs, the Atomics became part of my rental fleet.

Just to be clear, I did not retire my other gear because I became an independent instructor. I chose to become an independent instructor with Deep 6 because I like their product better than Atomic, Hollis, etc.

Back
Top Bottom