Deep6 Signature or Aqualung Legend LX?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CY C

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for a reliable regulator for recreational diving only(maybe sidemount in the future). It would be my first regulator.

I really like AL Legend that ACD could prevent water getting into your 1st stage and breaking it.
But in my country, the price double compare to D6. And service cost is like 1.5~3 times more expensive. Although I think we do make parts of AL's service kits. Maybe it's some dealership problem.

Even though Deep6 is a American brand, I think they are all made in Taiwan. But it is so strange that Deep 6 can't be found in any local shop in my country and people in Taiwan know little of this brand. So I don't even know how to compare between the two. However I found some way to buy one straight from the factory online and could be send back for service if needed.

By the way, Deep6 signature is like 455 in USD, HOG D3 is 365, AL legend LX is 780~1000. Full set. service for D6 and HOG cost 30 USD.

Thank you if you guys could give me some idea.

I can send you him this one for the signature price mate!

full.jpg

got him this one too

full.jpg

Fasal!!!
Cheep!!!

Ideas for what? You seem to have sorted it all out.
I mean, I want a regulator well working. Because I expect that it will be my main set for a long time. The two seem functioning the same to me. If there are not some significant quality differences, I definitely would choose the less expensive one. But we just don't have enough samples in Asia. So I'm really not sure.

Both, Aqualung and Deep 6 make excellent regulators. If you are looking for hassle free service around the world wherever you may find yourself diving then Aqualung might be the better choice as it is well recognized just about in every corner of the globe. But weigh that against a few things....initial cost is higher, cost for parts is higher, and how likely do you think you would need to have your regulator set serviced while traveling.

Some thoughts about Deep 6...the company sends a service kit with every regulator set so that in the event you have an issue while traveling you can take your reg and service kit to a shop and have them repair it without the hassle of them having to order or find parts that match. This is good, but....some shops will only service regulators that they are certified to service and some shops will only service the brands they sell. So, you may well have a Deep 6 service kit in hand but may find it difficult to get your reg serviced if you walk into a shop that has this paradigm.

Deep 6 makes their service kit available for purchase by the general diving public. Aqualung typically does not. This means that if you choose to learn how to service your regulators yourself that you will have an easier time finding service kits if you purchase the Deep 6 regulator than the Aqualung brand.

Full disclosure...My family currently uses a mix of Mares and Aqualung 1st and 2nd stages...but if I was in a position to replace my regulators, I would choose Deep 6 without question. I currently do not have any of their products, but I have read plenty of comments from their highly satisfied customers who post regularly on Scuba Board. The owners of Deep 6 also frequent Scuba Board and respond promptly to questions and concerns people have. The small business and direct to consumer model has them focused on high quality products and high quality customer service. The owners of the company are divers, care about diving, divers, and the gear they are designing and selling. Aqualung makes some very good products too but it is a bigger company and much less concerned or affected by an individual's experience with their product.

You need to decide what you value:

If you value price above all else then it is clear that Deep 6 is more affordable based on what you have posted.

If you value customer service, you need to define what that means to you. If it means serviceability around the world then Aqualung may be the favorite. But if it means being able to get a hold of someone who is responsive to you about their product for whatever reason then Deep 6 may be the better choice. Aqualung expects that you will use their dealer network to respond to any issues....this is only good if your shop is still in business if/when you have a problem and if they see it as in their interest to advocate with Aqualung on your behalf. Depending on the cultural mentality towards customer service where you live, along with many other factors, that can be a real concern....and this is where I think Deep 6 really stands out.

If you value brand recognition, then Aqualung is the clear favorite.

You can't really go wrong with regulator products from either company. Decide what you want and what you value and you will make a the right choice, guaranteed.

-Z

Both, Aqualung and Deep 6 make excellent regulators. If you are looking for hassle free service around the world wherever you may find yourself diving then Aqualung might be the better choice as it is well recognized just about in every corner of the globe. But weigh that against a few things....initial cost is higher, cost for parts is higher, and how likely do you think you would need to have your regulator set serviced while traveling.

Some thoughts about Deep 6...the company sends a service kit with every regulator set so that in the event you have an issue while traveling you can take your reg and service kit to a shop and have them repair it without the hassle of them having to order or find parts that match. This is good, but....some shops will only service regulators that they are certified to service and some shops will only service the brands they sell. So, you may well have a Deep 6 service kit in hand but may find it difficult to get your reg serviced if you walk into a shop that has this paradigm.

Deep 6 makes their service kit available for purchase by the general diving public. Aqualung typically does not. This means that if you choose to learn how to service your regulators yourself that you will have an easier time finding service kits if you purchase the Deep 6 regulator than the Aqualung brand.

Full disclosure...My family currently uses a mix of Mares and Aqualung 1st and 2nd stages...but if I was in a position to replace my regulators, I would choose Deep 6 without question. I currently do not have any of their products, but I have read plenty of comments from their highly satisfied customers who post regularly on Scuba Board. The owners of Deep 6 also frequent Scuba Board and respond promptly to questions and concerns people have. The small business and direct to consumer model has them focused on high quality products and high quality customer service. The owners of the company are divers, care about diving, divers, and the gear they are designing and selling. Aqualung makes some very good products too but it is a bigger company and much less concerned or affected by an individual's experience with their product.

You need to decide what you value:

If you value price above all else then it is clear that Deep 6 is more affordable based on what you have posted.

If you value customer service, you need to define what that means to you. If it means serviceability around the world then Aqualung may be the favorite. But if it means being able to get a hold of someone who is responsive to you about their product for whatever reason then Deep 6 may be the better choice. Aqualung expects that you will use their dealer network to respond to any issues....this is only good if your shop is still in business if/when you have a problem and if they see it as in their interest to advocate with Aqualung on your behalf. Depending on the cultural mentality towards customer service where you live, along with many other factors, that can be a real concern....and this is where I think Deep 6 really stands out.

If you value brand recognition, then Aqualung is the clear favorite.

You can't really go wrong with regulator products from either company. Decide what you want and what you value and you will make a the right choice, guaranteed.

-Z

That a nice reply.

In Taiwan, the shops only service the regulators they sold or they charge you double. They check serial number and if you had bought them from aboard, you would be charged even more. It’s quite strange but that’s the scuba industries in Taiwan.

Some instructors may replace some parts with identical parts come from the same factory and charge less. But I haven’t find one I trust and is willing to do that. Sending them straight back to the factory where they were made seems a easier way for me. It costs only 30$ and I don’t need to bother with dealers.

Somewhat even though I don’t care about brand recognitions, I still need some samples to make myself having confidance with deep6.

I have both, I only have a couple of dives on the deep6 and I've had the aqualung for 10 years. I have no issues with either, I bought the deep 6 because my gf needed regulators do it was an existing to upgrade mine.

Zef's post is pretty much dead on.
I bought deep6 because I like their business model and because of the reviews on this site, I have no regrets but I know some local shops won't service thenmfor me when the time comes, thankfully I have 2 years until I need to deal with that and I have the option of doing it myself if I choose.
Servicing would be my only concern with deep 6 but for the price it might still be cheaper to just send it back to them to service

That a nice reply.

In Taiwan, the shops only service the regulators they sold or they charge you double. They check serial number and if you had bought them from aboard, you would be charged even more. It’s quite strange but that’s the scuba industries in Taiwan.

Some instructors may replace some parts with identical parts come from the same factory and charge less. But I haven’t find one I trust and is willing to do that. Sending them straight back to the factory where they were made seems a easier way for me. It costs only 30$ and I don’t need to bother with dealers.

Somewhat even though I don’t care about brand recognitions, I still need some samples to make myself having confidance to deep6.

You will find many folks on this board that have deep6 products. I bought a D6 Signature about a month ago and it works extremely well.

Zef was spot on in his assessment, major brands such as Aqualung, Scubapro, Mares etc have worldwide presence. With those brands you are buying not only the product but the worldwide support chain and the reputation as well, but that comes at a cost. With boutique manufacturers like Deep6, HOG/Edge, Illusion, you pay a lot less in upfront and maintenance costs but the downside is they don't have worldwide presence so you have to be a bit more self-sufficient and adventures. The tradeoff is worth it for me, but not for everyone. In fact if you want to learn how to service your own regulators Deep6 can teach you that, they have classes.

One big note is that the designs of a lot of regulators are not significantly different, many have the same basic design with small changes. By and large modern regulators are all very safe if they are manufactured and quality controlled well.

If you're considering sidemount or doubles in the future you will have more hose routing options with the Deep 6 or another regulator with a similar design.

Back
Top Bottom