Deep6 with MiFlex vs Rubber Hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosenit2

si respiratio sub aqua amet
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Appears Deep6 does not offer Miflex/braided hoses on their sets, even for upcharge. Anyone know why? Everything I have read says they are at least as strong, if not stronger than rubber, and they weigh less. I have read that on 7' setups the braided hose can chaff neck but aside from that anyone know the reason they don't offer in their packages?

Don’t know why they don’t offer them from the get go. I added miflex to all my hoses

Attachments

• E8AC353E-C37D-422B-9633-8D4AE9E77747.jpeg
    E8AC353E-C37D-422B-9633-8D4AE9E77747.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 343
Appears Deep6 does not offer Miflex/braided hoses on their sets, even for upcharge. Anyone know why? Everything I have read says they are at least as strong, if not stronger than rubber, and they weigh less. I have read that on 7' setups the braided hose can chaff neck but aside from that anyone know the reason they don't offer in their packages?
I bought first and second stages, signature series and have them paired with MiFlex hoses as well. I saw that MiFlex came out with ORANGE this year but only place I can find that color so far is in shops in the UK. Waiting for XSScuba to update their selection on Amazon and then I can update my black donate hose to orange.

AFAIK most manufacturers don't sell their regulators with Miflex hoses. However, most dive shops (middle men) will be glad to add in the cost of an upgraded hose and sell you the reg with Miflex on it. You don't have a middle man involved when buying deep6, you're buying direct from the manufacturer.

Also, there's a potential problem from a manufacturers perspective in shipping products with Miflex preinstalled. Miflex hoses have a finite lifespan. That's not controversial, the manufacturer of Miflex will tell you that themselves. It's 5 years. The clock is ticking even if it's new and in the box. If a regulator shipped with Miflex and then sat in a dive shop's inventory for 4 years before it sold either the dive shop has to eat replacement cost or the customer is getting screwed. Neither situation is desirable for a business.

That said, I also like Miflex hoses. I have them on all my regs except when diving with a long hose.

Miflex solved the "chafing" problem by creating a "tech" hose.. that's basically a Miflex hose with a resin coating. It's almost as flexible as regular Miflex, but won't hurt your neck. Miflex still isn't suitable for long hose in my opinion because Miflex kinks very easily - even when pressurized.

Thanks. I also know that DGX offers their version of the Deep6 reg sets with braided hoses out the door, but that set is not the same as the signature 1st direct from Deep6.

AFAIK most manufacturers don't sell their regulators with Miflex hoses. However, most dive shops (middle men) will be glad to add in the cost of an upgraded hose and sell you the reg with Miflex on it. You don't have a middle man involved when buying deep6, you're buying direct from the manufacturer.

Also, there's a potential problem from a manufacturers perspective in shipping products with Miflex preinstalled. Miflex hoses have a finite lifespan. That's not controversial, the manufacturer of Miflex will tell you that themselves. It's 5 years. The clock is ticking even if it's new and in the box. If a regulator shipped with Miflex and then sat in a dive shop's inventory for 4 years before it sold either the dive shop has to eat replacement cost or the customer is getting screwed. Neither situation is desirable for a business.

That said, I also like Miflex hoses. I have them on all my regs except when diving with a long hose.

Miflex solved the "chafing" problem by creating a "tech" hose.. that's basically a Miflex hose with a resin coating. It's almost as flexible as regular Miflex, but won't hurt your neck. Miflex still isn't suitable for long hose in my opinion because Miflex kinks very easily - even when pressurized.

Good points ;-)

Miflex solved the "chafing" problem by creating a "tech" hose.. that's basically a Miflex hose with a resin coating. It's almost as flexible as regular Miflex, but won't hurt your neck.

A bit like lipstick on a pig in my opinion.

Me personally, I don't like Miflex hoses anymore. People often cite the weight difference between flex hoses and rubber, but in reality it is negligible. The supposed travel benefit is a solution in search of a problem.

Miflex still isn't suitable for long hose in my opinion because Miflex kinks very easily - even when pressurized.

I find that over time, they take a set to the position in which they were stored. This causes them to end up being less flexible than their 'rubber' counterparts.

They have a shorter lifespan, and when the threads fray it gets bothersome. Combine all of this with the neck irritation or chafing on my drysuit seals when I run a long hose and I really don't see the point in using them.

Just my thoughts on the issue, but I know others really want them so to each their own. Its one of the reasons we have a hopeless... err hoseless package for sale :)

Cheers,
Landon

My issue with Miflex is the lack of ability to truly inspect the hose. After time, they can look fine but be far from it. Also the flexibility difference between our hoses and Miflex really isn't that substantial. We don't use the super-stiff rubber hoses (found in many dive shop rental fleets, and even on many new regulators from other manufacturers) that most people think of when rubber hoses comes to mind.

Thanks. I also know that DGX offers their version of the Deep6 reg sets with braided hoses out the door, but that set is not the same as the signature 1st direct from Deep6.

DGX offers their regulator and has chosen us to manufacture it for them. :) (Also, as was previously brought up regarding availability- Common for shops, like DGX, to offer them, but uncommon for manufacturers to.)

You can inspect the interior of a miflex (or any hose) with an endoscope. They can be had for $17 on Amazon. The one I got was $60 because it produces a slightly better than 1080p image.

I got it for other things (like looking in my tank) but it works perfect for hose interiors too.

The lack of ability to inspect a miflex with the naked eye is the reason for the finite lifespan. Rubber hoses also have a finite lifespan. The difference is that it's much easier to tell when you need to replace it. You might be able to get 10 or 15 years from your miflex hose just like you get from your rubber hose. The manufacturer set a guideline that will guarantee they can't be sued unless the hose is truly defective...like any manufacturer in this sue-happy world should.

@wbatten1 What company are you with? You mention "your" hoses and that they're better than miflex or rubber hoses. Don't keep us in supsense!

A bit like lipstick on a pig in my opinion.
I don't think much of the coated tech miflex hoses myself. Although since I don't use miflex for long hoses, chafing is a non-issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom