Deepblu COSMIQ+ users' experiences please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using the Cosmiq+ for about 20 dives in freshwater and seawater now. I like the big numbers on the display and that it has a good visibility under water, especially in dim conditions. Syncing and the app (on iOS) work fine so far.
However, the computer has some flaws of which the following two are annoying me the most:
  • The decompression model is extremely conservative, to a point where deep diving (to around 40m) becomes difficult (at least if you want to stay in your NDL). My backup computer was a Suunto Zoop on normal mode and even with the Cosmiq being in "progressive" mode, it was considerably more conservative in deep waters! A more progressive mode would be nice there.
  • The charging pad loses contact very easily with the watch. In practice I need to adjust the charging pad several times and bend the charging cable so that it doesn't lose contact.
I'm not sure I would buy the Cosmiq+ again, but I find the display fantastic to read in dim waters and I also love that you don't have to press any buttons while diving.

I bought a Cosmiq+ in UK in June. I've completed 20 dives with it. Last Sunday, after 2 shallow dives in Portugal, it locked out showing CEL. Both buttons were inoperative and I was unable to turn it off or change mode. After about an hour it started responding but I found that it had logged it's own dive while it was on my wrist during lunch. The phantom dive was 13mins at 3.0 metres with a water temperature of -9.9C. This false dive cannot be deleted or the instrument reset. I had planned a third dive but the surface time was now incorrect so I had to cancel. Deepblu technical support took 3 days to respond and described the problem as 'unideal'. In my view this instrument is borderline dangerous and I will not be using it again.

For those considering a purchase be aware that, even in progressive mode, the algorithm is extremely conservative and I have always had a shorter no decompression time than any other diver at any depth.

the screen is also impossible to read in sunlight.

Used one as a backup on my deco course.
It died everytime I reached 38m depth and came back to life again upon resurfacing. I would not recommend this one.

Did you guys contact Deepblu regarding the cases? If so, I would love to hear how they responded and whether or not there has already been any firmware upgrades out to fix those problems.

I bought a cosmig+ which I rarely used. It flooded after just three dives. the last was a lengthy excursion at 34 meters. Luckily this was the first dive of the day on a square profile so I was able to follow the other divers in the deco sequence without too much risk. It was nevertheless a troubling experience. I contacted the Australian distributor who arranged a speedy replacement of the unit. Good on them. Now I am not confident in the unit. I will probably use it as a backup. and get something else. I note a number of divers have reported flooding problems. Perhaps Deepblu have some quality control issues.
The way the unit is works seems to show that the designers have a morbid fear of users doing decompression. In Deco the display is somewhat confusing compared to say the Mares displays. The unit has conniptions if you go into deco with numerous alarms, which is unsettling, although mine failed before it even got to that stage. Really deco is not an emergency situation but one to be managed properly.

I bought a cosmig+ which I rarely used. It flooded after just three dives. the last was a lengthy excursion at 34 meters. Luckily this was the first dive of the day on a square profile so I was able to follow the other divers in the deco sequence without too much risk. It was nevertheless a troubling experience. I contacted the Australian distributor who arranged a speedy replacement of the unit. Good on them. Now I am not confident in the unit. I will probably use it as a backup. and get something else. I note a number of divers have reported flooding problems. Perhaps Deepblu have some quality control issues.
The way the unit is works seems to show that the designers have a morbid fear of users doing decompression. In Deco the display is somewhat confusing compared to say the Mares displays. The unit has conniptions if you go into deco with numerous alarms, which is unsettling, although mine failed before it even got to that stage. Really deco is not an emergency situation but one to be managed properly.
Thank you for the feedback. Could you let me know when this happened?

Hi Yes the unit flooded when I was on holiday in early July. I returned it 21/7 when I got back after sending the Australian distributor some photos and having the replacement under warranty approved.

Shame to hear the negatives. Visually the screen has always been really impressive for the price. I was originally going to get this computer when I started diving but ended up with a killer deal on a mares. Kind of glad I didn’t grab one of these now as it seems they haven’t worked out all the bugs get.

I think the overall design of the computer is excellent. The size is just about right and the screen is impressive. The replaceable Nato style wrist straps are a great advance. Its a shame that my unit had such shortcomings.I really liked the bluetooth connection and the related Deepblu app. The social dimension was tempting even though Im not that social. A sort of facebook for divers. On the Deepblu site there are a lot of ads for dive businesses and dive related travel which can be annoying or very useful. The ability to connect to other divers experiences of a particular location is a definite plus however. That said you don't need a cosmiq+ to access this info.

We had this for sale at the center I used to work at and I hated them. The charging cable always come off and the screen is hard to read in bright light. I would not recommend it to anyone but will say, the way it works with the algorithm is quite nice.

I know there are better entry level computers out there and have seen the new one from the maker of the Cosmiq (he left DeepBlu to do his own thing) It is a heck of a computer. Maybe hold tight as I believe it will only be a month or so until you start seeing them pop up.

Yes you are right about the charging cable. I put a little weight on mine to keep it tight. Quite a few other users have complained about the problem of hard to read screen in bright conditions. I was thinking of a Mares Puck or a Suunto Zoop as a replacement as I only need something basic. What is the name of the new indie cosmiq?

Yes you are right about the charging cable. I put a little weight on mine to keep it tight. Quite a few other users have complained about the problem of hard to read screen in bright conditions. I was thinking of a Mares Puck or a Suunto Zoop as a replacement as I only need something basic. What is the name of the new indie cosmiq?

Maybe @cerich can jump in here and be of more help than me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom