Deepest safe depth on air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cloudboy55

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have heard from other divers of diving beyond 170' on air, and I'm of the opinion that oxygen toxicity would become a problem beyond that depth. My dive computer seems to agree with me. Is this correct? I've heard divers claim depths in excess of 200' on air alone.

Most of the times it's not the O2 in the blend when diving on air, but rather the narcosis that will get you.

Depends on the person. Some get toxed shallower and some much deeper.

Gary D.

More info
"PSA is the only agency offering Deep Air training down to 73 meters ~ (240 feet) taught in six levels. There are currently only ten instructors world wide qualified to teach to level VI." Checkout www.mrscuba.com

Gary D.:
Depends on the person. Some get toxed shallower and some much deeper.

Gary D.

true.....but at depths close to 200' on air I am sure most people will get or have been narced

Define "safe".

In terms of Oxygen Toxicity the PPO2 of 1.6 using air is 66m (213ft). You really dont want to be here.

PPO2 of 1.4 for air is 56m (183ft).

My agency recommends a maximum air depth of 50m (164ft)

HOWEVER considering other factors rather than O2 toxicity. Namely narcosis.
Whats "safe" and what isnt here depends on an individual divers choice on what level of risk to accept. Certainly anyone below 150ft on air is going to be severely impaired by narcosis. Whether they feel its safe enough for them is entirely personal choice.

Personally 40 (130ft) - 45m (147ft) max on air for me but im not too happy below 40m. Deeper than 40m and it depends how i feel on the boat, what conditions are like and so on as to whether i'll do it. Others may stay shallower, others may go deeper.

My max depth was 153 (on a dive this weekend) and narcosis wasn't a significant issue as I performed the work I intended to do at that depth and then ascended. I tend not to get seriously narced at least down to depths of 120-150 (although that can depend on other factors such as exertion).

One of my occasional dive buddies ended up doing a dive to 192 ft to retrieve the dive boat anchor. He was so seriously narced at that depth that it really frightened him (and he routinely dives to 150-160 ft) and he came up looking a little white. All he could do was walk towards me with his computer display facing me... he didn't say a word until I commented on the depth.

This buddy usually uses a DPV to do his deep diving (often for lobster but increasingly for videotaping). There is little exertion involved and he does feel any significant narcosis. Diving for the anchor was without a DPV and involved physical exertion.

I have heard that oxygen toxicity on air becomes serious (1.6 ppO2) at about 230 ft. I have no plan to test that myself!!

i have been to 207 fsw but do not reccomend it !! if something goes wrong you're screwed !! if you want to go that deep take a tech class !

String:
Define "safe".

In terms of Oxygen Toxicity the PPO2 of 1.6 using air is 66m (213ft). You really dont want to be here.

PPO2 of 1.4 for air is 56m (183ft).

This pretty much sums it up.

I doubt I can add anything other than saying that exceeding 1.4 PPO2 is something I don't plan on trying. Its just not one of those limits I want to find at 150 plus feet deep. Its like, Hmmm, there is my O2 limit, Now I know, Now I am dead. Good to know!

Back
Top Bottom