Delspring Pro heated SCUBA vest - review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jridg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got to dive the vest this morning in La Jolla - here are my thoughts:

Delspring Pro 40W heated dive vest review:

Dive #1 - La Jolla Cove - 7/30/2020 - Dive duration - 63 minutes

Surface temp - 63F

Bottom Temp - 57F

Wetsuit - Elios zipperless two-piece with integrated hood - 3mm suit (6mm over core)

Gloves - 3mm Camaro

Boots - 5mm standard dive booties

This was my first dive in the new wetsuit and the Delspring pro

The suit was custom fit to me - and the bulk of the batteries with the vest on was a bit odd - the batteries are definitely not small - I don’t think there is a better way to place them or make them smaller - it just is what it is. They were not painful or terribly uncomfortable - however I knew they were there the whole time. I am fairly fit and they dug into my ribs a bit - This may cause some discomfort if you dive a jacket BCD - I dive a BP/Wing so it was not bad.

Entering the water at 63F - I turned on the vest with the remote - I immediately felt the heat come on (I wore the vest next to my skin for this first dive) - I left it on low for a couple of minutes - as we descended, I turned it up to high - the haptic feedback buzzer makes it VERY obvious when you change the settings. The wrist remote worked perfectly.

During the entire dive I was moving very slowly - no hard swimming or kicking - very low effort. The vest kept me pretty comfortable for the entire 63 minute dive. I could feel the warmth for the entire dive and it was very nice to have this extra heat generation. I did feel the chill a bit as we got to around 40 minutes - however the vest generating the heat made this very much a non-issue for me (Your mileage may vary). I think the fact that the vest was generating heat that my body did not have to was helping a great deal for my overall comfort.

Initial impression is that down to 57F - no issues - I would dive this setup again easy. Much less weight, easier don and doff of gear in a 3mil than my drysuit.

I will be attempting a dive in Monterey in a couple of days and we’ll see how that goes - I expect it will be 5 degrees or so cooler so it may make a difference....

I've been using a Thermalution Yellow Plus vest with a 7mm wetsuit and while it helps I still get cold. The Delspring Pro has also a front heat element and twice the wattage of my Thermalution, so I put in an order for a Medium size from Diverightin scuba. The Large was too loose. You're pretty brave to dive in a 3 mm in California

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom