DEMA 2010 - Las Vegas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtxkev

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I did some research, but still not compleatly understanding the DEMA show. I know that it is a "professional" only show and yes I can register as an attendee-non buyer professional, so what does this allow me to do? I assume just as it states "non buyer" that I can not buy anything. Do I fly to Vegas basically to be in vegas and then check out some of the cool stuff at the show? Is it a waste of a trip? Just looking for some input from anyone who has been there.

As a non-buyer, you can look all the cool new stuff but the dealers won't really talk to you much, or give you any prices or catalogs. The big manufacturers won't even look at you. They are looking for buyers. The travel people will talk, book trips whatever you want and there are a lot of travel booths there. You might be interested in going to some of the seminars put on by the training agencies, travel people, etc. If you are not interested in window shopping or buying travel then it most likely is not worth the expense to go. I do enjoy the show and I am a non-buyer but I have a free place to stay in Vegas which cuts down on the cost.

If you are a divemaster or above, or involved/sponsored in/by a dive related business or career you can enter, but you'll need to be able to prove it with credentials. I've got a tough enough time getting my wife in, each year they seem to want to see more proof of her involvement in the business, even though we've been going to most of them since '01 or '02. Technically they try to keep anything from being sold on the floor during the show for the most part, but there are usually knick knacks available for carry out purchase... but not lots.

DEMA is more of an informational event if you're not actively buying. The dealers tend to have most or all of their lines shown, whatever they can cram into a 10X10 floor space (more if they purchase more booths) to show to their retail customers and potential retail customers. The show is geared towards stores, not so much looky-lous, and apparently that buyer tag will get you more attention. This will be the first year we'll be wearing buyer tags, been wearing a boat operator tag for years, it'll be interesting if things change for us.

If you're goal is to score a great deal on personal gear, you might be in for a let down. If you want to learn more about the industry, there's opportunity.

Aaah Dema, ...........:wink: Well, Yeah, sure its okay if you feel like a bit of a lookie-see, dont worry about the badge, I am not too sure that many suppliers even look at it.

All of the bigger manufacturers / Brands have prebooked their clients long before Dema rolls around, so the chances of even getting to speak to them or attend their seminars is unlikely, which, are again, usually reserved for their customers, actually in my experience they hardly ever hand out prices, even if you are a buyer, but not a customer of theirs.

Travel may be of interest, and you can buy small accessories like T-Shirts, caps, Sunnies etc, plus their are a few open seminars you could attend - personally I am all for a day or two of public access, so I am probably biased, but I guess you could entertain yourself for a day quite easily, although I have to add I am personally not fond of the Las Vegas venue.

Las Vegas will be just like any DEMA show in the recent past: Travel, training and trinkets, different sponsored parties and seminars.

You should have no real trouble gaining access. The actual number of real "buyers" is quite small. There will be lots of people there who are Divemasters, Instructors, friends of some store, etc.

LV has its own vibe which some people like.

If you have a free stay and want a Vegas trip it will be an OK walk around.

Not worth the plane fare IMO.

Thanks guys. Im not really interested in the deal of a lifetime, I just like to look around and see whats out there. Sounds like maybe a day or two at most like Widget said and I do love me some blackjack and vegas nightlife, so maybe ill go and see. thanks again.

I attend as a travel buyer and have been going since 1989 although the past 9 years I have skipped a few. DEMA is not quite what it used to be but it meets my needs (although I really do miss the way it used to be back when I started going).

I look for travel deals for group trips and make my deposits on them at the show. I also check out new gear, bags, etc as many of my travel clients really like to ask me about products and what I recommend.. not being associated with a shop means less of a bias towards brands.

Funny thing is that even though I have been going for more than 15 years, the last few years they seem to be getting more picky on what they accept for proof.... go figure!

I live in AZ so hopping over to Vegas is cheap and easy and the Vegas show usually tends to be more fun.... guess it's the atmosphere. However, I really did enjoy the show in San Francisco a long time ago... loved the party that was thrown in the planetarium. :))

Why not attend Scuba Show in Longbeach Ca. May 14-15 if you want to see some of the newest gear and gadgets. DEMA is really all about store owners getting their inventory ready for the next year.

I live in AZ so hopping over to Vegas is cheap and easy and the Vegas show usually tends to be more fun.... guess it's the atmosphere. However, I really did enjoy the show in San Francisco a long time ago... loved the party that was thrown in the planetarium. :))

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well, wonder why they never went back?? I heard the convention centre wasnt suitable enough,not sure,but I thought it was fine, ......strangely enough one of the best Demas for me was in Houston, I know many folk felt it was a bit "rough and tough" around the convention centre, but I never had any issues, besides after two days I hired a car and took myself off to Galvaston where I managed to get in a dive or two and did a bit of sight seeing - which was better than wondering another 2 days aimlessly around Dema I thought.:D

LA was also good,but, again, it seemed to not be that common a venue.:idk:

Back
Top Bottom