DEMA update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have several more from 5 different Training Agencies (PADI, SSI, PDIC, SEI, CMAS), unfortunately, I have been asked not to upload them, by 2 of the training agencies. So we have decided to only upload the ones from gear manufacturers.

That’s unfortunate. Thank you for trying to gather as much information as possible.

Can you give us some idea why they didn’t want them shared, even if need be not naming the 2 agencies? Just curious.

Richard.

Can you give us some idea why they didn’t want them shared, even if need be not naming the 2 agencies? Just curious.

Richard.

Our goal was to show our viewers what was new with the agencies (New Standards, New Course, New Apps, etc). Most were pretty hesitant at first even shooting a video with us, but they all agreed. Then after shooting, they were worried that things would be misrepresented if it was put on YouTube, before it was even released by the agency. An example is with new classes coming out. SSI will be releasing a new course at DEMA 2018, which is still in development, and one that I have a personal connection to. They didn't want this to be put out into the public until all standards were finished and the curriculum was completed. SSI also introduced their new APP as well, however all the bugs have not quite been worked out. They have asked us (SSI Instructors) to have our students to download the new app, but still keep the old app until all bugs have been fixed. PADI, released a new course as well, but are really funny about filming at their booth without a Press Pass, which I did not have. PDIC / SEI was very gracious, and we did a lengthy interview with them, unfortunately some of the footage did not record. I feel confident that it was either the individuals we spoke to, simply did not feel comfortable on camera, or it was just because I didn't have a Press Pass to film. All exhibitors were very polite, and allowed us to take as many pictures as we wanted. There were signs however, all over the convention center, stating not to take video or pictures unless approved by the Exhibitors. Mares, our major line that we carry in store, was very gracious to us, but specifically asked us not to put certain things on video. I was happy to oblige them. I took a ton of photos of new equipment, still in development by Mares, like the new Sidemount BCD and Sidemount Regulator, but they did not want them on film because they are still in the R&D stage. Everyone that we spoke to were very polite, and gave us as much info as they could. We only attend DEMA when it is in Orlando, so it will be 2019 before we will be back, but next time we plan on getting a Press Pass if possible. DEMA has never really been meant for the public, like Beneath the Sea and other dive shows (which I agree and disagree with at the same time). It is when dealers get their best buy ins and get to see what all the new up and coming gear is. From a business standpoint, the public really does not need to know how much a shop pays for gear, or the secrets behind the marketing aspect, however, I think that it would be neat for the public to be able to see the latest and greatest coming out. Maybe an idea in the future, would be to open up DEMA on the last day to the public, after all buy ins were made by the dealers. Hope this answers your question.

Back
Top Bottom