DEMA2018 - New ISC CCR! The Tiburon. Announced new handset for Meg15 & Pathfinder.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevin A.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks,

Anyone at DEMA can show us any pictures?

Leon just posted this;

"ISC is showing a new CCR called the Tiburon. It is a Meg loop with Shearwater circuitry. It will retrofit all Megs as the 15 did. ISC is also finishing up a new handset for the 15 and Pathfinder. It is not a Shearwater system. The new handset has a new colored display and uses two AA batteries. The battery time lasts over 24 hours. It will be in production for the US military the first quarter of 2019. The commercial version will follow. ISC will continue to support the 15, Pathfinder and legacy Meg for years. Currently ISC is hoarding parts by stopping production and producing more circuitry before they hit EOL by our suppliers. ISC will post the Tiburon manual and feature list as soon as possible. Thank you for your support"

Tiburon head..

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1542301250326.jpg
    FB_IMG_1542301250326.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 725
real curious about this thing
Shearwater has made controllers for other units for years. ISC finally realizing that going to an actual software company might be good vs continuing to try to go it alone on their horrible meg15 board-battery problems is a plus.

Shearwater has made controllers for other units for years. ISC finally realizing that going to an actual software company might be good vs continuing to try to go it alone on their horrible meg15 board-battery problems is a plus.

He actually said that the new Meg15 and PF handset is NOT a shearwater system.

He actually said that the new Meg15 and PF handset is NOT a shearwater system.
Yea I know, but offering a proven controller from a company with a decade long record of success is smart. I always thought the reason ISC had their own electronics was because of Navy requirements. Shearwater has continuous improvement updates and there's no way they could test them to meet Navy specs that fast or frequently.

The meg15 has really been a disaster - most handset and battery issues so replacing that is wise but I think the damage has been done there.

Lots of pictures popping up on FB - Meg Owners Group and ISC page.

From what I can see, the Tiburon amounts to a "Shearwater Meg." Looks like a drop in replacement head running Shearwater electronics/firmware. I suppose the new name is simply to differentiate between Shearwater versions and the "Meg" versions which continue to operate on ISC's system.

Separate from that, there will be a new APECs handset for the Meg15 ISCAN bus and still running ISC firmware, but aims to address the battery issues so many folks have had by switching out to AAs. It'd be great if it also had a smaller form factor, IMHO.

Very interested in hearing more details. My controller is doing fine (after one battery replacement), but I'd sure rather be on Shearwater electronics. If and when my current controller craps out, I'd take a very long look at the Tiburon head before I paid for a new APECS handset.

Thanks for posting the image of the head and the referral to the FB pages. Seems odd that there are only connections for a controller and HUD or NERD, and not for an alternative secondary computer. While I’m not considering abandoning my ISC rebreather, I’m curious about the new unit, and particularly interested to see/read more details about the updated controller for current owners of Megs and Pathfinders.

Leon explains the new unit. Wonder how long before folks just call it the Tib.

Thanks for posting the image of the head and the referral to the FB pages. Seems odd that there are only connections for a controller and HUD or NERD, and not for an alternative secondary computer. While I’m not considering abandoning my ISC rebreather, I’m curious about the new unit, and particularly interested to see/read more details about the updated controller for current owners of Megs and Pathfinders.

how many ppO2 monitors do you need?

Back
Top Bottom