Demo days this weekend, Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver

Livin' the dream
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Received this in my e-mail and thought I'd share it.

Florida Bay Outfitters
104050 Overseas Hwy Key Largo FL 33037
305-451-3018

Demo Weekend
November 7th and 8th 10am - 4pm - Join us for another chance to test paddle some of the most popular kayaks around. Representatives from Hobie, Wilderness Systems, Ocean Kayak, Old Town, Current Designs and more will be available on the beach at FBO. Paddle boards, electric kayaks, pedal kayaks and sailing kayaks will be on hand to demo. Come see the latest and greatest paddle toys for 2010!

Everglades National Park Tours (full-day and multi-day)
FBO will be offering full-day as well as multi-day trips in the Everglades National Park this winter season. Paddling guide Joel Beckwith has been working with FBO for numerous seasons guiding and working the store. Joel loves teaching people about paddling and working the store but his real love shines through when talking about the Everglades National Park. Joel has been paddling the Everglades since his childhood and continues to paddle and explore the park year after year. That is why we are putting Joel in charge of all our multi-day tours and as many as he can full-day tours in the Everglades National Park. If you have been contemplating the idea to take on such an adventure than you won't want to miss out on the opportunity to paddle with Joel. You just won't find a better Everglades paddling guide. If you are finding yourself interested please go to our website and click on the TOURS link! Oh, and by the way, Joel is an awesome guitarist and usually finds room to pack away one of his instruments.

New FBO Rental and Tour Location! MANATEE BAY OUTPOST We have been waiting patiently for our 18 mile stretch road construction to be completed so we can offer a new area for paddling. In addition to our mile marker 104 location the New Seasonal Location will be at mile marker 115 on the north bound side of US 1 at the South Dade Marina (sailboat marina). We are planning to offer daily rentals from November 15 through May 1. Reservations are not mandatory but recommended since our rental selection will be scaled down compared to our MM 104 location. Reservations are a must for guided tours offered in this area. The new location may be closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays but we haven't decided on that yet. So if you do plan to visit us on one of those days please give us a call.

This area is more secluded and very good for viewing wildlife. It is common to see the American Crocodile, Manatees and Dolphins and the birding can be excellent. The area has a marked paddling trail and we have charts to show you the way. There are many, many opportunities to travel off the trail if you are a good navigator. The other great thing about the area is that there are many places to land and yes there are beaches with great swimming areas. Some of the islands make wonderful campsites too! If you are interested in sailing Capt Emiliano Oddo is offering lessons on the premises. His contact number is 786-390-6157. Long term sailboat slips are also available at South Dade Marina.

Come join us for our grand opening! On Sunday November 15th we will be offering a free guided tour on the paddling trails and having a hot dog cookout on Short Key Beach. You will need to bring your own paddling craft (no motors) or you can rent one of ours. Space is limited so please call to reserve a seat on the tour and cookout. Since parking may be a problem we may need to meet at our mile marker 104 location where we can provide a free shuttle for you and/or your boat. Click here to enter our website for more info!

ACA Classes
Karen Knight will be instructing the American Canoe Associations IDW and ICE courses this February 2010. To learn more about these special classes and instructor Karen Knight please go to our website and click on our INSTRUCTION link! Space is limited so act now!

Thank You! FWC Non-Motorized User Listening Session
A Big Thanks to all who responded to the FWC Listening Sessions. In the information FBO sent out it was mentioned that the FWC and the listening session was not about non-motorized registration but others such as associations of motorized users were attending the meetings and voicing the need for non-motorized registration and mandatory non-motorized user education. Motorized users have the most accidents and deaths and cause the most damage to our environment and the State of Florida and holds the record over all other states under those categories. And guess what? They have no mandatory education policies of their own for motorized recreational users.

I did receive a phone call from the FWC soon after the release of my newsletter stating that I was misinforming my customers and that this was not about registration. The comments being sent in by us would not be accepted if registration was mentioned. I can tell you that I wasn't happy with that answer since it is a concern we have and we want someone to do something about it. The last meeting was held in Punta Gorda and unfortunately I was unable to attend but found some paddling friends who lived in the area to make a presence. It was reported that the FWC quickly announced that any discussion of registration ideas would not be allowed. So the comments you sent in were successful as of this time. Just beware that the registration idea has not gone away and those who want us to have it did not go away. Non-motorized users of all types need to organize and be proactive in order for our voices to be heard. We are looking at different ideas and existing environmental organizations where we could possibly fall under their wings. We will keep you informed. If you want to get involved or have any ideas you would like to share please let us know. Also please take a look below at the FPTA info next.

Florida Paddling Trails Association (FPTA)
The FPTA is a paddling organization that is currently managed by a small group of volunteers all who are avid paddlers and environmental stewards. The FPTA was formed almost 2 years ago in October of 2007. Their major focus is to develop water trails and access, protect the environment and to also boost local economies. I recently attended the FPTA meeting in Weeki Wachee (where the mermaids live) as a tag along to my wife Monica who is a Regional Director for the FPTA. Monica covers the Glades and Keys region. The regions are broken down into groups or chapters containing volunteers of paddling clubs, businesses and individuals who help maintain and build trails, campsites and launches as well as organize clean-ups, paddling trips and are hosts for events. The FPTA is a young organization with its 2nd anniversary approaching this October.

As a business owner I can assure you that the missions of the FPTA will only broaden paddling opportunities for all of Florida. They have no interest to compete but only bring the paddling communities and businesses together. The FPTA is an advocate we need.

You can become involved with the FPTA in any capacity. Just becoming a member will help support the cause. To show our support for the FPTA, Florida Bay Outfitters would like to extend to all new as well as existing FPTA members a 10% discount on any store items including kayaks and canoes from now through December 31, 2009 at our Key Largo paddling shop. (discount can not be used in conjunction with any other offered discounts) Sign up now!
Florida Paddling Trails Association

End of Season Sale a Success!
Thanks to all our customers who participated in this years End of Season Sale. Even in these toughest of times we have once again accomplished our goals. We are now on our way into another paddling season!
Paradise Paddlers and Pedalers
The Southernmost Paddle /Pedal Club has a new website Paradise Paddlers and Pedalers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom