Demographics: Old and the young?

What age range closest represents your current age.

• 15-19

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 20-26

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • 27-34

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • 35-42

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • 43-50

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • 51-58

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • 59-65

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • 66-72

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • 73-78

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 80+

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Straw pole for our ages? Do you consider yourself the anomaly among your local region?

Sort of an offshoot from the accident forum and discussing aging divers and the disproportionate amount of reported accidents. Noting the added factor we are obviously the SB community and may be slightly more or less than typical.

Regards,
Cameron

Ps. Apologies in advance for the awkward age range distribution, no offenses intended.

Under 30's is uncommon for tech and Cave, when my husband and I started tech and cave diving in our 20's we were almost always the youngest people on the boat or at the dive site. I'm in my 30's now, and I'm still fairly young.It seems to me in cave country there has been a slight increase of younger people getting into the sport, which I'm glad to see. Tech and cave are expensive though, so it's not common to see younger people for that reason.

I certainly see scuba as a maturing sport. Personally, If I had the $ when I was in my teenage years, I'd have gotten my c-card then. This stuff is prohibitively costly. I get *most* of the reasons why.

Under 30's is uncommon for tech and Cave, when my husband and I started tech and cave diving in our 20's we were almost always the youngest people on the boat or at the dive site. I'm in my 30's now, and I'm still fairly young.It seems to me in cave country there has been a slight increase of younger people getting into the sport, which I'm glad to see. Tech and cave are expensive though, so it's not common to see younger people for that reason.
I had (have) a similar experience. I started down the path in my late teens. Was always the youngest.

30 now. I am still almost always the youngest.

Good to see new and young divers.

A very small percentage of people will actually submerge and see the mystery and beauty of
the Underwater world.

I've wondered about this since I just got certified at age 59.

I think disposable income is a significant factor, it was for me.

Reactions: mdb
There was one kid in my West Texas high school that was certified.

By the time I was 25,10%of my friends were diverz bu I had joined the Navy and was in Florida.

The investment in training and gear as about a fifth of a normal median family income at the time,like golf and big game hunting it will likely be populated by older and more affluent people.

Many divers also decrease their participation as their interest in the sport wanes before getting to the point where tech would appeal to them.

Interesting to see that there's "many" in 20-35 range, yet when I look at the local dive boats, or local facebook groups of people looking for buddies, I've hardly come across people that weren't twice my age.
When I was in Australia, it was quite different though, and there were quite a bit more 20-30 yo divers...

Interesting to see that there's "many" in 20-35 range, yet when I look at the local dive boats, or local facebook groups of people looking for buddies, I've hardly come across people that weren't twice my age.
When I was in Australia, it was quite different though, and there were quite a bit more 20-30 yo divers...
There's probably some selection bias. Old folk aren't always the most computer savvy bunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom