Demographics: Old and the young?

What age range closest represents your current age.

• 15-19

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 20-26

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • 27-34

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • 35-42

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • 43-50

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • 51-58

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • 59-65

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • 66-72

Votes: 9 9.2%
  • 73-78

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 80+

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting to see that there's "many" in 20-35 range, yet when I look at the local dive boats, or local facebook groups of people looking for buddies, I've hardly come across people that weren't twice my age.
When I was in Australia, it was quite different though, and there were quite a bit more 20-30 yo divers...
One reason could be frequency of dives. If old divers go out 4 times as often, then they would be much more visible...

I think it might depend on places too. I feel like the average diver is younger in SE Asia than when I went to Belize and Mexico.

I'm 32 and became an Instructor when I was 18. I remember making a post on here back then asking if people would respect an 18 year old instructor that looked even younger than I was. That being said I am still the youngest person in a lot of the dives that I go on especially in dive professional contexts. I have noticed over the past few years a lot people my age and younger getting into diving though.

There's probably some selection bias. Old folk aren't always the most computer savvy bunch.

Hey, get off my lawn.

There's probably some selection bias. Old folk aren't always the most computer savvy bunch.
Ya. Those older farts like Gates and Allen probably dont even know what a twitter is.
Lol. CAN YOU SPEAK UP?

Started with a TRS80 and a TI99,worked at TI before going in the Navy as an electonics tech for gas turbines.I have a passing familiarity with these newfangled things.Most of my aging contemporaries do as well.But not growing up with an electronic umbilical, they aren't on every forum nor spend hours a day online.

51-58 by the skin of my teeth. Yes I still have them! Just OW not tech diver :wink:

part 2: there is a good mix of ages on the boats I've been on, but most younger than I. Now on the SB surge in Cayman Brac, I would say fewer younger divers.

Last edited:
When I'm on Cozumel I see a lot of divers my age or thereabouts but I also see youngsters who are getting certified and plenty of middle-age people (in their 30s or so). I have at least three family members age 21-30 who are interested in diving--whenever they come over I force them to watch my latest underwater video so it looks like it actually had a positive effect rather than just another boring home video :) On some of my recent trips there was nobody else on the boat besides me and my girlfriend so I can't say but the instructors and DMs are usually somewhere between 20 and 40.

So, is there any correlation between the age groups with the most divers and the highest incident rates? It seems like the 51-58 group has it's share of mishaps, judging from what I've been seeing on SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom