Depth: 95 ft, In Deco, 500 psi, No Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What to do in this type of situation?

On a recent lobster dive I happened to capture my computer readings and gas pressure readings for the end of my dive. I pushed the no-deco limits to catch a lobster, wound the “clock” down to ZERO minutes leaving me ZERO No Deco Time. Then, as soon as I started my ascent, the computer kicked me into a REQUIRED Decompression Dive.

My gas pressure at this time is about 500 psi (in a 108 cu-ft, steel tank).

Certainly it is NOT recommended or safe for recreational divers to push the limits or go into deco and they probably should be saving more air for the ascent as well. Many people are taught the simplistic rule of: be on the boat with 500 psi – which may be inadequate.

The reason I made a video of the ascent is to demonstrate that this is NOT the time to panic or get really worried, or rush your ascent, or kick up hard or begin to breathe fast or get overly stressed out.

We have many examples of divers who have never seen their computer in deco and once it happens they kinda freak out and rush to the surface – breathing like a freight train. Sometimes I think they feel their goal is to get on the boat with as close to 500 psi as possible – so the faster they rush to the surface the less “trouble they are going to be in”. This is NOT the way to handle such a situation. (Most instructors would say that the best way to handle this situation is to avoid it, but that is not the point).

This video demonstrates what I do (or did on this occasion) in this situation. Keep in mind that the deco penalty is as small as it can be (only one minute), but many people would be very concerned by “being in true DECO” and also having just 500 psi at around 100 ft depth.

Instead of exerting myself, you can hear me pop the inflator and get just slightly buoyant so I can drift slowly upward with zero kicking. I slow my breathing and RELAX. I go up SLOW, I check my depth frequently and carefully monitor my ascent rate.

This video is in real time (except for the pauses during the console reading). By the time I reach a depth of about 44 ft (I think it is) – Wow.. my deco penalty is gone - and I have many minutes of no deco time back on my computer.

This is not surprising to a good percentage of experienced divers.. come up a little slower than the maximum ascent rate, relax and your deco time will “clear itself” before you even get close to the decompression ceiling depth. For them, the video will be trivial and boring (maybe that is the point of the video).

My objective in posting this is NOT to advocate or recommend that any recreational diver put themselves in deco and they certainly should preserve a safe volume of gas for their ascent (and enough to share with a buddy). My goal is to provide a simple example that if you (unintentionally) go a little into deco, it is possible to make an ascent using a modest amount of gas, do it reasonably safely and this is NOT THE TIME TO RUSH TO THE SURFACE.

For this dive, I was alone – so I had no need to reserve air for a buddy, I had an independent bail out bottle (a pony bottle) as a back up and I was not diving in an aggressive or reckless manner. I continued a slow ascent and completed an additional safety stop on this dive (as I do on almost every dive) and exited the water with a few hundred psi remaining (and a full pony bottle).

Making an ascent from this depth while sharing air with a panicked buddy and having to exert yourself would result in air consumption rates that would be 5 or 10 times higher than shown in this video, so please don’t interpret this as a suggestion that people should be starting their ascents from 100 ft with 500 psi! The objective is to show what it might look like if you over-stay “your welcome” for a few moments and how it might be handled – even if you have not reserved a whole lot of air.

Since the intended audience is inexperienced recreational divers, it is also very important to remind them that if they continue to remain at depth (once the computer kicks into deco), the penalties (i.e., true deco time) will accrue quickly and a 1 minute deco stop can turn into a 5 or 10 minute stop faster than you can catch a lobster… Especially if you are silly enough to do this on the 3rd dive of the day. This can be a serious or life threatening situation if you don’t have the gas and skills to deal with decompression.

Maybe others will find the topic useful?

Nice catch. Good controlled ascent to clear obligation. Thanks for sharing. Nice video. What's your camera setup and how did you mount it?

Thanks, but it is not much of a video.. I have a hero 4 black on a head strap on my forehead.

What to do in this type of situation?

And the answer is...

...that this is NOT the time to panic or get really worried, or rush your ascent, or kick up hard or begin to breathe fast or get overly stressed out

This is where experience and calm under pressure can turn an incident into a non-event. How you respond to an problem can make it worse. By staying calm, you can get more time out of your air and, in SCUBA, air is life.

Bob

I fall firmly into the camp of avoiding these kinds of problems rather than curing them.

While DD has a good point that you need to remain calm in such a situation, the fact that he was in that situation is something that I would see as a result of making avoidable mistakes.

Therefore, since he is addressing new divers, I would like to add to what he said that my advice to new divers is to look at this with the attitude that it SHOULD have been avoided, but given that it wasn't, his solution was executed reasonably well.

Also keep in mind that DD has a LOT of experience and likely has been in this situation many times and knows his personal boundaries very well. For newbie divers, however, taking on any kind of deco obligation is something that should be avoided if possible and diving a tank down to reserve pressure before starting an ascent from a deep dive is not something you want to experiment with.

R..

I fall firmly into the camp of avoiding these kinds of problems rather than curing them. ...//...
Well, yeah, but he really isn't speaking to new divers or he would be in the New Divers forum.

...//... Therefore, since he is addressing new divers, ...//...

I see this as a professional hunter relating one of his tales. Is this not the proper place and in the proper tone?

I find his posts most interesting as there are so few willing sources that document such activities...

...//...We have many examples of divers who have never seen their computer in deco and once it happens they kinda freak out and rush to the surface – breathing like a freight train. Sometimes I think they feel their goal is to get on the boat with as close to 500 psi as possible – so the faster they rush to the surface the less “trouble they are going to be in”. This is NOT the way to handle such a situation. (Most instructors would say that the best way to handle this situation is to avoid it, but that is not the point). ...//...
Indeed, you did.

I am chastised.

However, what to do if one does not avoid the problem appears to be the issue at hand in this thread.

Yes, he makes a good point. Most divers never see their computer in deco mode and I think he correctly points out that remaining calm and making a normal ascent is the right response. I think he also points out well enough in the bit that you quoted that most instructors would preach to avoid, as I did. There is a reason for that and I don't think it should be glossed over. Therefore I decided to flesh it out a bit.

Suggesting to avoid is also not not the same as suggesting that you don't need to know what to do about it if it happens. I think both sides of the coin are equally valuable.

R..

I found the post somewhat contradictory- on one hand DD is showing that you dont need to panic if you are at 100ft with 500psi and have deco obligation-fine- but not panicking or stressing is not an attribute that I would place in the camp of an inexperienced rec diver for whom the videos is aimed at. Given another 50 or so dives and having a better understanding of deco would alleviate some of the fear of 'OMG I'm in Deco' but to expect them to respond the same way as DD with 2500+ dives is like telling a 4 year old child to stop acting like a child

I dont believe its normal for inexperienced rec divers to carry a bail out pony so take away that back up option and it puts one under more stress. But once again its contradictory 'dont get into a situation where you exceed your NDl but if you do dont stress but if you do use too much air you've got a back up pony'
The post from an instructional point of view has value but it sends mixed and somewhat confusing messages to a inexperienced diver

Back
Top Bottom