Depth Limits for SSI OW Cert?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I have a question concerning depth limits ... after I pass my open water class and get my SSI OW card, does that mean I can dive 60, 80, 90, feet ... John

Hi John,

As others point out, the 60' OW depth limit is a recommendation and there are no scuba police out there...yet.

But here is a thought for you to consider: Your actions have consequences for others. The reason there are no scuba police is that we divers have established a reasonably good track record of safety and self-regulation. You can help us to keep it that way by heeding your instructors and following your training.

I want to thank everyone for their imput and research! I am not wanting to just jump off the deep end,no pun intended, but instead would like to stay safe, in the gidelines, and progessivly build up my comfort, experience, and training, while at the same time trying to figure out just how to accomplish this. Additional training is a must in my eyes, but I was really unsure on the path to take. If I have to have deep dives, but I adhear to the 60' standard I didn't see how I could accomplish the requirment for "having deep dive experinece" I guess I will look into the Deep Diver training that SSI provides. I know this is a sport where not only your enjoyment, but your life, depends on your actions and your actions may even have adverse reactions to those you dive with. I am new, eager, and full of questions and you guys have been very helpful. Any additional imput would still be appreciated, especialy on the best way to get Deep Dive experience so I can actually be prepared for a wreck dive in Florida or Caymans,,Thx again.

Hi All,

I have a question concerning depth limits for the different certifications and agencies. I had gone into this thinking that 40' for SSI and 60' for PADI was the initial dive limits from research on the internet although it wasn't very clear. I had really been stressing about this because I was taking SSI OW and thought I would really be limited on my depth. I just finished my classroom work and test for the Open Water certification and the question was about depth and that SSI was good to 130' but recommended staying at 100' for recreational divers. SO after I pass my open water class and get my SSI OW card, does that mean I can dive 60, 80, 90, feet as far as my certification goes? Thanks in advance for everyones input. John

I did most of my certs through SSI and I was always taught that with just open water training SSI recommends you not go deeper than 60 feet and with the Deep Diver cert they recommend you not go past 100 feet. My opinion is there is no Scuba Police. Dive within your own comfort level but at the same time dive with in the limits of your training.

John, let me throw in one more thing. There is a big difference in going deep in the Caribbean and in the quarry at Hopkinsville. The quarry is MUCH more challenging at any given depth than the Caribbean sea due to lack of visibility and water temp.

A 70' dive in warm water with 100' visibility isn't a real risky dive. In the quarry, the temp at 70' will be in the low 40's year round. It's a different beast.

As mentioned, all anyone can do, including the training agencies, is make recommendations.

But a wreck dive at 80' off the Yucatan Pen. with a really strong current is a bit tougher for a first dive after OW Cert. You had to be in well shape for that dive. Crawling on the ocean floor and all to make it to the wreck. But it was an awesome dive and well worth the work to do it but I don't recommend to those first diving.

I don't recall ever hearing a number other than you really shouldn't go below 100' for higher possible Narcing.

John, let me throw in one more thing. There is a big difference in going deep in the Caribbean and in the quarry at Hopkinsville. The quarry is MUCH more challenging at any given depth than the Caribbean sea due to lack of visibility and water temp.

A 70' dive in warm water with 100' visibility isn't a real risky dive. In the quarry, the temp at 70' will be in the low 40's year round. It's a different beast.

As mentioned, all anyone can do, including the training agencies, is make recommendations.

While I agree with most you have stated, Bob, I will disagree with your statement about a 70' dive in warm water with 100' vis not being very risky. There are times it can be. It all depends on the local conditions. If you do that dive in a very swift current, down currents or even multiple shifting currents, & you as a diver, are not prepared for it, it can be VERY risky. When I was in Sipadan Malaysia, last year, we encountered some fairly strong currents on our dives. It took me about 2-3 days of diving it to fully adjust. During that time, my air consumption was nothing like it normally is (it sucked, big time:shakehead:). It took me that time to learn to use the current to my advantage, relax, instead of fighting it. Having mostly dove the same quarry & the Caribbean, my exposure to strong currents was extremely limited. Now, one advantage I did have was general experience. I knew when to call a dive because it was too much for me. That is the reason, a diver, with training, mentoring or in very tiny increments, should expose themselves to as many different diving situations as possible. Know SULLIVAN2049, that there is no bad reason to call a dive, & do not be ashamed to end it, if a dive is not going well for you. It is any diver's prerogative to be able to end any dive at any time, for any reason, with no risk of ridicule. If your buddy gives you a hard time about aborting a dive, then they are no buddy that you really want to dive with. Some situations require or highly recommend add'l training before attempting. I will be interning to teach deep diving at the quarry this summer, as Bob mentioned it is a very different environment. The vis usually isn't too bad, in fact it's usually clearer, deep on the bottom than in the shallows (not so many people stirring it up), however it IS cold. Hope to see you at the quarry this summer & get a chance to dive with you..

No disagreements and I should have explained myself better. Thanks Tammy and Scotty.

There can be a VERY dangerous dive in 25' of 80 degree water be it current or lack of vis. That said, there can be 60-70' dives that are safer than the typical dip to 30' in the rock quarry.

Take in the whole picture (all of the circumstances) before making a decision on a dive.

...you guys pretty much agree with that? Depth is only one of a number of factors as to safety. There are a lot and you only have to break one for a dive to become dangerous.

I think everyone has made great points. I think what I am hearing is that all things must be taken into account. I think depth within itself is only a measure of distance, and perhaps not the most important factor in some situations. Being a newbie, things such as current have not really crossed my mind much. I have the "pool" mentality right now and that of a boater in enclosed bodies of water. I can remember once while fishing on the White River though when the dam was releasing water that current did come into play:dork2:

I have been doing what I guess all new divers do, read, read, read, and as Tammy can attest, ask questions, ask questions, ask questions. (Thanks for your patience Tammy) I can see there is alot more to diving than just the dive tables. Bottom time within itself can be drastically different when a current, low visability, poor diver conditioning and lack of training are factored in. Let it be known just for the record that I think 60' is more than I would even consider attempting now just starting out. I am not sure that I would feel comfortable deeper than what I could push off the bottom and reach the surface,lol

Thanks again for all of the experience shared and thinking points that you all have brought out.

Try holding onto a rope for your dear life doing a safety stop :D You get tired reallllllyyyy quick on that and those 3 minutes feels like the 20-30 minutes you were on the bottom swimming around freely. Heh. Your average dive will probably be 30-60ft, at least mine have been. But yes the ocean adds a lot more variables than an enclosed body of water.

I think you have made a valid point Scotty. There are so any additional factors that would come into play a deeper dive that doesn't just jump out at me when I think about just "pure depth." Ithought you were going to say when I first started reading your thread that perhaps I should just hold onto a piece of rope while I was diving!!:D

Back
Top Bottom