Descend with snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Lots of discussion over snorkel or no snorkel.... Thought I would take the plunge, and start a new thread, not on the merit or lack thereof, but specifically:

Have you ever started your descent with your snorkel in your mouth instead of your regulator?

This is a chance to laugh at yourself (hopefully). I debated on starting this thread in Accidents and Incidents, but that's too serious. Come on, fess up. I can't be the only intelligent person to have experienced this, and lived to tell about it - only anonimously, on this board of course.... Luckily, I noticed very, very quickly that I wasn't getting any air.... and was able to resolve the situation successfully.

Once. On a beach dive, I snorkeled out, towing my dive flag. I started my descent, then tried to breathe in on my way down. I realized my mistake, but it was no big deal, I just grabbed my primary and pulled it toward my mouth only to discover it was tangled in my dive flag line and wouldn't reach my mouth. I picked up my octo and proceeded to get it all straightened out. It was rather comical.

I watched someone do it, immediately (I kid you not) after saying they couldn't believe anyone ever did that :)

I know I have come close. I may have started down and swapped it out. If I did it didn't leave much of an impression. We do a lot of shore dives so some snorkel time to maximize BT is common. It never hurts to have the face wet for a few minutues before draying on the cylinder.

Pete

I'd have to have my snorkle with me on a dive to do that.....one less problem to worry about. I have fought the urge to breathe from my snorkle while freediving....telling myself "it's snorkle idiot, don't breathe" over and over.
C-Dawg

Twice (yes, I'm a slow learner), neither time taking in water. Unless conditions require otherwise, I no longer dive with a snorkel.

Lots of times but no sweat just swap to the primary reg.
40 years of regular snorkelling practice means I don't even swallow any water. Some trained reaction tells me that water is coming in through the mouthpiece. I stop there, recover primary and swap while continuing to descend.

Not yet, but I haven't been diving all too long. I bet it is one scary feeling though.

Back
Top Bottom