Desiccant pack recharging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never heard of damp rid.... where do you get it.
Putting them in a 200 degree oven for 2-3 hours is a long time. Isn't there a quicker way to bake them dry without burning them??

As fas as I know the is no quick way to bake them and get their full benefit. You need constant heat for a decent amount of time to recharge them. Silica dessicant is really effective in trapping moisture, that is why it is so difficult to remove the moisture from it once it is trapped.

Again, I've tested doing it on a microwave at 10% power for 1-2 minutes and they quickly turn blue but they then turn white again in a matter of minutes. For a properly recharged silica packet, it should take more than just a couple of minutes to get filled with moisture. Thus you need a long process of constant heat to recharge them.

What I do is prepare 10-15 of them and place them inside a small sealed container. When I dive I use 2 per diving day and keep the rest in the container. Since it is sealed, once all the packets consume the moisture inside, they remain blue an ready to be used.

Just found out yesterday that I'll be getting a chance to dive and test my replacement Sealife strobe Sat. Moisture Munchers were mostly all pink from Bonaire in Jan. (4 re dried and still sealed in doubled ziplocks quite blue yet, but I like to have many back ups.)

Threw 6 pinks into the oven on a cookie sheet, at 188d and left them for @ 1 1/2 hrs. Then I pulled them and got distracted, so didn't get back to bag them til this morning, and all 6 were nice dark blue!

I have yet to look for DampRid, which has gotten great reviews here, but I haven't rushed out to buy it as I have always been quite satisfied with the low temp oven bake method, since I learned of it here on SB @5 yrs ago.

I can't be bothered with reusing the Silica dessicant, now that I buy the whole jar from the camera shop & repack them with paper serviettes, whenever they are required... This method works for the G9 canon housing as there are quite abit of space... ;-)

Not so with SeaLife housings. Neither of mine have room for anything but the Moisture Munchers capsule(s).

Since no one near me carries these it pays me to recycle endlessly. No hassle, usually toss them in the oven kept warm after making dinner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom